PDA

View Full Version : Soss hinges - thin side mortise

Dave Anthony
03-02-2013, 2:00 PM
I'm installing Soss 204 hinges on inset cabinet doors using the Soss router guide installation template. Using the recommended bushing, the slot in the template is wider than the bushing. If I guide the router on one side of the bushing I get a mortise that is centered, if I guide using the opposing edge the mortise is closer to one edge; i.e.; there is a thin side and a fat side to the mortise. Depending on how the template is oriented i can get a mortise in one of three positions: inside thin, centered or outside thin. I understand the reason for this with overlay doors - the thin side needs to be to the outside edge of the door and the outside edge of the cabinet side in order for the door to clear. How should the mortise be positioned for full inset doors?

Jerry Miner
03-03-2013, 2:35 AM
Not sure what you mean by guiding the router "on one side of the bushing." The template is designed for the router and guide bushing to be run around the entire interior opening. This should result in a mortise that fits the hinge and is 1/8" away from the face of the door (and face of the face frame). The door can then open 180 degrees with a 7/64" space between door and cabinet. (I took these numbers from the Soss spec.s)

So if your "thin side" is 1/8"---then that should be the face side.

I've only seen (and used) Soss hinges on flush doors. Never heard of using them on an overlay door---don't see how they could work