PDA

View Full Version : Vietnam 30 years ago

David Wilson
05-06-2005, 10:34 AM
Hello all
Had an appointment yesterday at the VA in Fargo and LOML & I stoped at the air museum after since they are having Vietnam Week and I could get in for free as a Vietnam era vet. They have an amazing bunch of aircraft for this special week including a heuy, a loach, a puff and a T28, all flying aircraft. Last saturday they had a Harley ride in led by the Huey. If interested check out there websight.http://www.fargoairmuseum.org/
Brought back some old memorys.

Ken Fitzgerald
05-06-2005, 11:12 AM
I hope the Wisconsinites will forgive me but......a few years ago while in a class in Milwaukee, one of the students from Austrailia wanted to see the cililair museum in mid-central Wisconsin.....I can't remember the town. On Sunday he and I drove there. As a Vietnam-era veteran I was astounded by the migs they were displaying there. While these migs reeked havoc on some of our aircraft I was astonished at the seemingly lack of craftsmanship on them. They looked like they were put together by a bunch of drunks and yet they really gave our pilots a tail whipping at times. Another fantastic place to visit and see military aircraft including migs IIRC is the Naval Air Museum on the Naval base in Pensacola, FL. and the last time I was there it was free.

Peter Gavin
05-06-2005, 11:38 AM
I don't see what us Wisconsinites have to forgive?

Peter

Michael Perata
05-06-2005, 1:00 PM
While these migs reeked havoc on some of our aircraft I was astonished at the seemingly lack of craftsmanship on them. They looked like they were put together by a bunch of drunks and yet they really gave our pilots a tail whipping at times.

Ken I have a business friend who has a Mig 21 and he flies it regularly out of Castle AFB in the Central Valley.

Although I have never ridden in it, if I were to go up with him I would have to sign a 5 page "I will not sue your estate if this thing crashes and I die" document :o .

The FAA requires that he get the equivalent of an annual after every 25 hours of wheels up time. He needs to bring a crew of mechanics in from the Ukraine to fix the beast. (Could that be why I haven't ridden in his 21 while I had no drepidation getting launched and recovered off a carrier in a F-4?? :rolleyes: )
http://www.pilotjournal.com/content/2003/novdec/russia.html

Ken Fitzgerald
05-06-2005, 2:53 PM
Peter......I couldn't remember the name of the city where the civil air museum is. It's definitely worth seeing! We spent the day there and could have easily spent another! Same thing goes for the Naval Air Museum in P'cola!

Hoa Dinh
05-06-2005, 3:40 PM
Hi David,

I'm gonna steal this thread because of its title.

To veterans, especially VN veterans, thank you for giving up your lifes, even to people you don't even know. Please forward my thanks to your families for giving up their dear ones to people in strange countries.

If you are interested in VN war and its aftermaths through individual (thus biased) perspective, (direct link to another public forum removed by moderator) is part of my experience.

As noted in my following post in that thread, I have no agenda. I'm just telling you the facts as I experienced them and you the reader can draw your own conclusions.

Thanks again,

-- Hoa

Karl Laustrup
05-06-2005, 4:01 PM
Ken, not sure, but I think you might be talking about the EAA at Oshkosh, a little southwest of Green Bay.

Karl Laustrup
05-06-2005, 6:10 PM
Thank you, Hoa. I read your account of your struggle to obtain "FREEDOM".

I, as I would guess most do, forget what a relatively easy time we have here. I think I need to be reminded of that occasionally.

I was there in 1966-1967 stationed in Long Binh and watched the huge HQ complex being built. I wonder what that's like today, almost 40 years later. I traveled to Saigon regularly, as I was part of a supply company. So many memories. Think I'll dig out some of my slides.

Thanks again,

Karl

Ken Fitzgerald
05-06-2005, 6:23 PM
Hoa.....Thank You! I served during the Vietnam War era but didn't serve in Vietnam. Like a lot of other Vietnam Era veterans we caught our share of grief here at home from the anti-war protestors. I can't speak for the Vietnam vets but I can speak as a veteran and a cititzen. Your story put tears in my eyes. You don't want to get me under the influence of alcolhol and ask me what I think about that period. I lost 3 of the 125 members of my high school graduating class there. One of them was my best friend in HS. Knowing what I know now...I'd do it again and more if called. It's stories like yours that make me and others realize and appreciate the freedoms that we have here. Thanks again for sharing your story. You are truly an example of and tribute to the strength of the human spirit!

Ken Salisbury
05-07-2005, 5:33 AM
If you are interested in VN war and its aftermaths through individual (thus biased) perspective, (direct link to another public forum removed by moderator) is part of my experience.
Thanks again,

-- Hoa

If interested you can do a search on WC to find Hoa's narrative.

http://www.oldrebelworkshop.com/misc/moderator.gif