PDA

View Full Version : Yates American jointer

Andrew Hughes
03-02-2013, 1:01 PM
I did not buy the Yates jointer I posted about several days ago.
It had a 8 inch wide head with 11 inch tables.----I already have eight inch jointer.
The outfield table was very nice and flat.The infield side was dropping and had a high spot in the middle.Look like someone used it for a work bench at the lumber yard it came from.Some big dents on the end of the table.
The last thing I didn't like was the seller didn't want to put a plug on the cord to run it.Too much trouble.So I didn't even make a offer.

What I liked was the four inch head with four knives.
The infeed side was able to slide in and out to close the gap at the cutter head without adjusting the height.
The fence could be skewed across the table at 90.
It also had a lever for making spring joints.
The overall mass of everything was impressive .
Many of the parts looked to be original. Thanks Andrew

Mel Fulks
03-02-2013, 1:29 PM
Got to wonder why that head change was made ,haven't seen small head on big machine before .I like that type machine because that drop out feed table can be adjusted to make tables in straight line,and probably needs it .Those bolt down tables can be easily shimmed .I once got one back in perfect alignment just by removing all shims .Hope you can find good one close to home .

David Kumm
03-02-2013, 1:47 PM
Probably not a head change. the old jointers had tables 3-6" wider than the heads. No value engineering then. I had the same experience as Mel with my Porter. Unbolted the tables and a million shims fell out. Jointer had never been dialed in for 50 years. Explained why the planing marks were still visible. Dave

Mel Fulks
03-02-2013, 1:55 PM
Interesting. Thanks ,David. New to me.