PDA

View Full Version : A good source of wood in Texas?

Greg McClurg
03-02-2013, 12:24 PM
I am traveling to the Plano, TX area in 3 weeks and wondering if anyone knows of a good source of bowl blanks. I'm from SW Colorado so we are plentiful in pine, aspen, pine, aspen and more pine. I'm interested in just about any type of wood and would love to pick up a few mesquite blanks.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Greg

Brian Brown
03-02-2013, 5:00 PM
I'd think you were my next door neighbor except that then you would have sagebrush, pine, sagebrush, aspen, sagebrush, pine, sagebrush, aspen, sagebrush, pine and more sagebrush. Sorry, I can't help you with Texas wood.

Jerry Marcantel
03-02-2013, 5:21 PM
Greg, when you get to Plano, look in the phone book for firewood dealers, or even tree trimmers. I don't know how big Plano is, but there's gotta be at least one business there with wood. Better yet, take your chainsaw if you have one, and look in Craigslist for someone wanting to get rid of a tree. This is a working vacation, isn't it?? heheehe.......Jerry (in Tucson)

Dennis Ford
03-02-2013, 5:28 PM
Try Wood World in north Dallas, they are not very far from Plano. If you are interested in DIY; cruise a couple of older neighborhoods and you will likely find something on the curbside waiting to be hauled off.

Chip Sutherland
03-02-2013, 11:16 PM
Wood World of Texas...is in Richardson right behind the Texas Instruments plant in the NW corner of the Hwy75 & I-635 interchange (called the High 5). Richardson & Plano are almost indistinguishable when driving. There is a sign...and the roads seem to be worse in Richardson. Wood World of Texas is an excellent vendor for pens and pen blanks...very organized.

Technically, I live in Plano but the area is also referred to as 4 corners since Frisco, Plano, McKinney and Allen all meet up. Send me a PM if you are interested in a meet up. I work from home.

Harvey M. Taylor
03-03-2013, 8:25 AM
Greg, if your visit includes Ft. Worth, I have lots of mesquite. Three friends and I cut a 16 ft. utility trailer more than level full of all sizes of mesquite. Send me an email if you are interested.Max

Greg McClurg
03-12-2013, 2:30 PM
Max, PM sent.

Greg

Harvey M. Taylor
03-13-2013, 10:42 AM
Greg, just checking if you re1cd. my email about directions, MAX

Greg McClurg
03-13-2013, 5:27 PM
I didn't receive anything yet Max.

Harvey M. Taylor
03-13-2013, 5:46 PM