PDA

View Full Version : Walnut Hollowform

Curt Fuller
03-02-2013, 12:20 PM
This is a piece of black walnut that ended up with about half the form being straight grain and half being crotch wood. It also has a couple bark inclusions in it. It's 7" x 5.5" and is finished with Antique Oil.

Faust M. Ruggiero
03-02-2013, 2:16 PM
Curt,
It's easy to figure which side of this form you will face forward on the shelf. The crotch grain is outstanding. Well done on your form and execution.
faust

David DeCristoforo
03-02-2013, 2:24 PM
Just about as good as it gets. I have been trying to avoid holes in my pieces but I think I would be able to make an exception for a chunk of wood this nice! The comment about the form having a reverse curve at the bottom is interesting because I saw that also but on second glance realized that it was an illusion. I have had the same thing happen with photos of dark colored pieces and I think it has to do with lighting or maybe a "haloing" effect from the digital image. Or it could be some slight distortion from the angle or a combination of any or all of these. I'm hoping to dee some suggestions from one or tow of the "photo pros" on how to avoid this.

Anyway, this is a smackdown perfect form!

Jerry Marcantel
03-02-2013, 5:14 PM
Pretty nice, Curt. .................... Jerry (in Tucson)

Faust M. Ruggiero
03-02-2013, 7:37 PM
Double D,
Take a trip east net month and come to our local meeting. Our demonstrator is a professional photographer. I do believe there are three elements to good photography. A proper background, lighting suited to the piece and a working knowledge of Photoshop.
faust

bob svoboda
03-02-2013, 7:44 PM
Interesting stuff going on in that wood! Very nice shape and 'touch appeal'.

Tim Rinehart
03-02-2013, 9:41 PM
Yep, i do like this. Good lift, nice character in the wood, smooth rise in lip. Can't ask for much more Curt!

Bernie Weishapl
03-02-2013, 11:32 PM
Beautiful Curt. Rich wood and really nice form.

Grant Wilkinson
03-04-2013, 8:48 AM
That is very fine, Curt! In the 4th pic, it just seems to float.

Richard Jones
03-04-2013, 8:59 AM
Stunning form and wood. I believe Jamie D. told me to try a bit darker background with the darker woods. I have found that a convex shape, i.e., HF or bowl exterior, is much harder to photograph than the interior view of a bowl.

Thanks for sharing your talent.