PDA

View Full Version : A sad saw story

Effie Lever
05-06-2005, 10:30 AM
My new Craftsman 22124 arrived yesterday. I rushed from work when they called and met the delivery truck on my driveway. the truck back-door opens and the packaged saw is standing there with all its glory - UPSIDE DOWN. Yes, it was shipped upside down. I was a bit concerned because I know how heavy this thing is and while examining it later I did find some damage. A bulging peace on the motor was badly dented. Its looks a lot like a typicle capacitor but it is a removable panel giving access to the wiring for changing between 110/220. The motor was bouncing against one of the large steel rods connecting the trunnions. That's the only damage I could see and after removing the panel I saw no damage to the wiring itself. I am concerned for the existence of more "invisible" damage that will come to bite me later.
I'm waiting for the store manager to call me today to see how to resolve the issue. It is ironic to think that this thing made all its way from China only to be damaged in the last 10 miles because some people just don't think.
Sorry for the long ramble, I was real itching to start using it this weekend.
Do you think I have to ask then to replace the saw or just fix it?

Jeff Sudmeier
05-06-2005, 10:50 AM
Effie, in this case I would ask for a new saw. Who knows what is broken that you can't see. I wouldn't want to spend that kind of money and always wonder. It arrived to you damaged. Sears has a 30 day satisfaction garentee. You probably will have to exchange it yourself, but I would accept nothing other than a new saw.

Jim O'Dell
05-06-2005, 10:54 AM
I concur with Jeff. There could be some hairline fracture that isn't visable now, that could show up much later, and could be a BIG safety issue. I'd want a replacement, even though it will be a disappointment not having it this weekend. Jim.

Ken Fitzgerald
05-06-2005, 11:02 AM
I'm sure waiting for another saw would be a pain but ....that's my recommendation! A lot of hidden damage could continue to haunt you until you finally got rid of the saw!

Greg Mann
05-06-2005, 11:18 AM
I suspect this (damage in shipping) is the cause of more warped iron than all other issues put together. I agree with the others about getting it replaced. It will also drive home, in a small way, that the parties involved need to get their act together.

Greg

Frank Pellow
05-06-2005, 11:19 AM
Let me add my voice to those who say you should demand a new saw. Don't even attempt to use the one that you have. Maybe (just maybe) it will help to teach them a lesson.

Also, unlike Jeff, I see absolutely no reason why you should have to replace the saw yourself.

scott spencer
05-06-2005, 11:26 AM
Tough luck Effie - Definitely get a new saw...I wouldn't take no for an answer,and they shouldn't argue with you about it either. There's too many things that could be wrong and could cause excessive vibration. Hope things work out well....keep us posted. (Don't be afraid to mention that we're all anxiously waiting to see how this unfolds! :D)

Jeff Sudmeier
05-06-2005, 11:34 AM
Let me add my voice to those who say you should demand a new saw. Don't even attempt to use the one that you have. Maybe (just maybe) it will help to teach them a lesson.

Also, unlike Jeff, I see absolutely no reason why you should have to replace the saw yourself.

Frank, I don't think he should have to either, but from my dealings with Sears, I know it is hard to get them to do it. We had a stove that was delivered damaged. Finally I just gave up and went and exchanged it. No problem with the exchange, they just wouldn't provide transportation.

I agree with you Frank, Sears should come to his place and replace this saw. After all, he probably paid for the faulty delivery (I did).

Effie Lever
05-06-2005, 11:53 AM
Thanks guys, if I had any doubts before now I'm convinced I have to replace it. From early conversations (still have to talk to some manager) it looks like they will do the exchange, delivery & pickup included.

Ellen Benkin
05-06-2005, 11:57 AM
Yes, get a new saw.

I think one of the sad lessons here is that you should not have accepted the shipment. I hope you had the shipper (delivery guy) sign something to acknowlege that you received the saw in a damaged condition. I had a similar experience with UPS, but the driver has been on our route for years and he verified that the package was damaged when he got it. The shipper made good on it and since the shipper was a UPS Store, that took care of it as far as I was concerned.

Effie Lever
05-06-2005, 12:03 PM
Yes, get a new saw.

I think one of the sad lessons here is that you should not have accepted the shipment. I hope you had the shipper (delivery guy) sign something to acknowlege that you received the saw in a damaged condition. I had a similar experience with UPS, but the driver has been on our route for years and he verified that the package was damaged when he got it. The shipper made good on it and since the shipper was a UPS Store, that took care of it as far as I was concerned.

I did noted to the delivery guys that its upside down (I could not tell at that time that there was any damage) they said it was sitting like that at Sears, sounds strange but I will not rule it out.

Chris Rosenberger
05-06-2005, 12:10 PM
I did noted to the delivery guys that its upside down (I could not tell at that time that there was any damage) they said it was sitting like that at Sears, sounds strange but I will not rule it out.

I agree you should get it replaced.
My first thought after reading your first post was.
How did it get upside down?

Dave Wright #2
05-06-2005, 1:12 PM
Yea...what Chris said. It's pretty difficult to get something that heavy upside down without doing so on purpose.

Hoa Dinh
05-06-2005, 1:51 PM
While you are at asking for a replacement, Effie, you may as well ask for a discount.

The last time Sears missed the delivery of a dryer by 4 days, I called Sears Customer Service saying that I had lost haft a day from work waiting for the non-show delivery (which was true), they made it up by sending me a $25 gift cerfiticate and refunded me 5% price of the whole washer/dryer set.

My brother had his Craftsman TS delivered with a missing box which showed up a week later. He also got 5% refund (no gift certificate, however).

It doesn't hurt to ask.

JayStPeter
05-06-2005, 2:37 PM
Yea...what Chris said. It's pretty difficult to get something that heavy upside down without doing so on purpose.

Unfortunately, I can answer that question. When I was moving the movers knocked over my Unisaw. It went straight to its top. The CG is very high. So, if someone knocked into it, it's very likely it just settled upside down.

I'm surprised they don't support the motor better than that though. Fortunately, I had packed big chunks of styrofoam into my cabinet to support the motor in all directions. I think that helped saved me from a cracked trunnion.

Jay

Dave Falkenstein
05-06-2005, 4:49 PM
Effie - If you have any difficulty at all getting the store manager to agree to a no-cost replacement, do not hesitate to escalate the problem immediately to the Sears home office customer service folks. I had a recent, and much smaller, issue with Sears. I received no satisfation at the store level, but got total satisfaction by calling the home office. Good luck.

Effie Lever
05-06-2005, 4:54 PM
The saw is actually protected nicely in a steel frame, the motor have foam that only protects it when its right side up. Flipping the saw upside causes the motor to swing and hit the steel bar between the trunnions. Just putting the saw on its head will probably not create any problems but bouncing on a delivery truck for about ten miles. . . well, its just not good.
I'll try to post some pictures tonight or tomorrow.

Effie Lever
05-12-2005, 1:40 PM
Received a replacement from Sears yesterday, they picked up the damaged saw and dropped the new one. This one was delivered from Sears warehouse by Sears employees, (not from the local store by a local truck company) Nice guys who pay attention to what they are doing.
I Did not finish the setup yet, took some pictures but I can't find the usb cord, sorry, will post pictures latter.

Bill Lewis
05-12-2005, 2:09 PM
... picked up the damaged saw and dropped the new one...:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: = My first thought when I read this.

aurelio alarcon
05-12-2005, 3:26 PM
I am glad to hear that you have received a replacement saw! Sears has always, and continues, to make things good for me. I am glad they made it good for you! OOOO-RAH

Jeff Pilcher
05-12-2005, 4:45 PM
Sure glad to hear Sears is stepping up for you. Looking forward to seeing the pictures.

Mike Stanton
05-12-2005, 4:52 PM
:mad: I would be mad myself. I would taken a pivture of it on the truck. I agree that they sould give you a new saw plus shipping .Demand it. Mike :mad:

Kelly C. Hanna
05-12-2005, 5:10 PM
Sorry to hear about that. I'd ask for a new saw to be shipped immediately.

PS...guess I should have read the whole thread (thought it was a new one). Congrats on getting the new one!