PDA

View Full Version : Resaw Fence

Maurice Arney
03-02-2013, 11:25 AM
I am placing an order with Grizzly today for a G0555LX 14" Band Saw. Should I buy the Resaw fence for $140? Or is it easy enough to make your own by attaching something to the standard fence?

Oh... This is my first band saw and I plan to do a lot of resawing. What is the best blade (TPI) for resawing?

Thanks!

John Bailey
03-02-2013, 11:37 AM
I am placing an order with Grizzly today for a G0555LX 14" Band Saw. Should I buy the Resaw fence for $140? Or is it easy enough to make your own by attaching something to the standard fence?

Personally, I would wait to see how you like the fence that comes with it. It looks like they made an improvement over the G0555 fence. That fence had the handel to the right and got in the way. Looks like the LX model has the handel in line with the fence which, I think would be less cumbersome.

By the way, that's a smokin good deal with the reduced price on the GO555LX.

Maurice Arney
03-02-2013, 11:45 AM
Personally, I would wait to see how you like the fence that comes with it. It looks like they made an improvement over the G0555 fence. That fence had the handel to the right and got in the way. Looks like the LX model has the handel in line with the fence which, I think would be less cumbersome.

By the way, that's a smokin good deal with the reduced price on the GO555LX.

Good advice thanks. I made a tenon jig for my table saw so I don't imagine it would be to difficult to make a resaw jig later if I wanted to. Yes it is an awesome deal!

glenn bradley
03-02-2013, 12:34 PM
If you mean the H7587, it is what was standard on the G0513 series (may still be). Unless you are adding the riser block that fence may be more bother than benefit. I have the fence on a 17" machine and have never had to add anything else. I did mod the handle to get it out of the say when in the unlocked position but, this was something that bothered my methods of work and may be a non-issue to others. Very easy to do BTW.

Darius Ferlas
03-02-2013, 12:52 PM
Personally, I would wait to see how you like the fence that comes with it.
+1.

I have a 14" General saw which came with the usual stock fence. That fence seems inferior to the Grizzly you are getting. I see no reason to spend any money to upgrade the fence right of the bat. You may need it if the Grizlly fence turns out to be total garbage indeed, but try it first.

I resaw 12" and the results are as good as can be. I never attach anything to make the fence taller. The key is all the adjustments. If you resaw a piece that is well planed and edge-jointed then the height of the fence is not that important. Tracking, tension, blade and blade guides adjustments are. It won't hurt to use the right blade either :)

Joe Angrisani
03-02-2013, 12:55 PM
I am placing an order with Grizzly today for a G0555LX 14" Band Saw. Should I buy the Resaw fence for $140? Or is it easy enough to make your own by attaching something to the standard fence?.....

For $140 I'd certainly wait. You can make a great fence out of two scrap pieces of 3/4" quality ply or MDF, and secure it with a couple of clamps.

Maurice Arney
03-02-2013, 3:01 PM
Thanks everyone... Ordered my G0555LX and the riser block kit. Will wait and see what I can do with the stock fence. I actually had this saw in my cart last night. What a pleasant surprise this morning when I logged into Grizzly and found that the price had dropped $100! Plus... Someone here was kind enough to give me his 10% coupon that he didn't need so I got over $150 off! :D

Joe Angrisani
03-02-2013, 4:12 PM
Sounds like a wonderful time for a $6 Sawmill Creek contribution..... ;)

John Bailey
03-02-2013, 5:14 PM
Thanks everyone... Ordered my G0555LX and the riser block kit. Will wait and see what I can do with the stock fence. I actually had this saw in my cart last night. What a pleasant surprise this morning when I logged into Grizzly and found that the price had dropped $100! Plus... Someone here was kind enough to give me his 10% coupon that he didn't need so I got over $150 off! :D

Congrats Maurice,

That's a great deal. I'm not in the market for a bandsaw, but when I was, I liked seeing the set up stage for new bandsaws. Hope you consider a thread, with pictures of course, showing the new saw in the packaging and how the set up goes.