PDA

View Full Version : A Question on Terms

Ronald Blue
03-02-2013, 9:34 AM
The easy one first for my ignorance. You veteran turners use terms like "HF" to describe what you turned. Is there a glossary of definitions or is this the secret code of the turning community?:) I see some really nice work in here and admire the many talents of everyone. I don't know that I will ever be in your league but am testing the waters.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-02-2013, 9:40 AM
Ronald....it's not a secret code and you don't need a secret decoding ring available in your next box of cereal......but I haven't seen a glossary of definitions here at SMC for the turners....

HF.....hollow form.....

BTW...I just returned Thursday from 3 1/2 weeks in a little farming town north of Bloomington, IL. It's always a pleasure to visit the town where my MIL lives and my wife grew up.

Steve Schlumpf
03-02-2013, 10:00 AM
Ronald - I am one of those folks that uses the short versions of descriptions because I use 2 fingers when 'typing'. There is an old thread here that covers a lot of these acronyms and it may help sort things out. Acronyms (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?174864-ROFL-IDNK-amp-YAA-The-SMC-Acronyms-Thread&highlight=acronym)

HTH

Brian Kent
03-02-2013, 10:06 AM
Ken was close.

HF: Harbor Freight. It's where you go to get the smoothest, most highly desirable fine woodworking equipment.
Bowl gouge: A piece of metal that gouges a perfectly good piece of spinning wood then up and hits you in the face-plate.
Spindle gouge: Same as a Bowl Gouge except it catches on long thin spinning things and hurts less on the face-plate.
BLM Burls: Bureau of Land Management. It's when you go to take burls off of tree at night if they don't catch you. "Nothing prettier than some Bureau of Land Management Burls".

I'm new at this so those are the only definitions I'm sure of. Maybe well get some more help from the pros.

Ronald Blue
03-02-2013, 10:16 AM
I like your humor Brian. Every time I see the BLM reference I think the same...Bureau of Land Management. I have practiced gouging too but have not had to duck...yet.

Nathan Clark
03-02-2013, 10:40 AM
I'm new here, but I think I have figures a lot of these out. Thanks, Ken for the BLM burls, That one should have been obvious.

CA Crack Additive. -
Example: I was depressed with the split I solved the problem by using CA

OP Ostrisized Pastor
Example: That was not the OP's problem.

PM Please Mary.
Example: If you are interested PM me.

IMHO I'm heading out

Jeff Gilfor
03-02-2013, 10:53 AM
I don't know of a list, but it seems like a good idea. Took me quite a while to figure some things out.
Here's some (not alpabetized) off the top of my head as a starter:

HF = Hollow form (or alternatively, Harbor Freight; you'll also see HD for Home Depot)
DNA = denatured alcohol
BLO = boiled linseed oil
P&VM Naptha = painters and vanrnish makers naptha (common mixture of hydrocarbon solvents)
MEK = methyl ethyl ketone (another solvent, that can be used in place of acetone)
TPI = teeth per inch (bandsaw blades; or threads per inch (chucks, screws, and adapters)
PSI = pounds per square inch (PSIG is punds per square inch gauge; difference is the reference. PSI is referenced to zero pressure; PSIG is referenced to ambient (usually) pressure) Note, some gauges and books talk about Torr, which is an alternate pressure measurement referring to millimeters of mercury (for all intents and purposes; scientists know they are slightly different these days); also will see mmHg, which is the same thing.

Brian Kent
03-02-2013, 1:04 PM
My joke about HF was because other forums mean Harbor Freight and it made for some funny sentences.
Most of the time here HF is Hollow Form.
It took me awhile to figure out that CA was Super Glue, used here for crack stabilization and pen finishes.
PSI is also Penn State Industries, when people are talking about lathe tools.
WOP Wipe On Poly, usually Polyurethane and Mineral Spirits, sometimes Poly, Mineral Spirits and Linseed Oil.

Arnold Dyer
03-02-2013, 3:03 PM
Ronald I don't know how to get the link to post click-able but if you go to: Forum: Off Topic Forum...second "sticky" down..
List Of Acronyms - Update 3/15/05 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?17995-List-Of-Acronyms-Update-3-15-05) will give you a list of acronyms used here. Didn't see BLM...but being federal government and all I suspect that it may be on a higher clearance level! :D Ha...it did post click able!

Hope this helps,
AD

Jerry Marcantel
03-02-2013, 5:11 PM
Yggiuc, so I won't add anymore than the begging of my reply...........Hahahaha........... Jerry (in Tucson)

Nathan Clark
03-02-2013, 8:11 PM
OK since the other thread does not mention BLM I guess someone should say it Big Leaf Maple.

Chip Sutherland
03-02-2013, 10:48 PM
My favorites are:
SWMBO - She Who Must Be Obeyed.....short for wife/significant other who controls the money
LOML - Love Of My Life ....short for the wife/significant other who agreed to you spending money on the vortex
DAMHIKT - Don't Ask Me How I Know This .... short for the author confessing to having done something stupid
NIP - Norfolk Island Pine....
PITA - Pain In The A**....
WOP - Wipe On Poly....I once knew a Polly...oops wrong forum.

Just a few off the top of my head.

robert baccus
03-02-2013, 10:59 PM
Super yeah!

robert baccus
03-02-2013, 11:03 PM
I'm ignorent but why two?

robert baccus
03-02-2013, 11:05 PM
V.V.V. that's great yeah.

robert baccus
03-02-2013, 11:06 PM
Here's another---IHMC!

Steve Peterson
03-03-2013, 12:00 AM
HF has one meaning when used in the turner's forum (Hollow Form) and another when used outside (Harbor Freight).

WTF also another double acronym that would usually mean Wood Turner's Finish in this forum.

Steve

Mike Cruz
03-03-2013, 12:52 PM
Steve, you beat me to it by an hour... WTF.

Ronald Blue
03-03-2013, 3:32 PM
Thanks for all the feedback. You guys rock even when your not making chips!

Russell Neyman
03-04-2013, 1:02 PM
Just for giggles: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?174864-ROFL-IDNK-amp-YAA-The-SMC-Acronyms-Thread&highlight=acronym