PDA

View Full Version : Words you don't here anymore...

Donnie Raines
05-06-2005, 9:46 AM
Mom and I were talking the other day about certain words that she and I used when we were kids. When she was a child, they used the word frap when referring to a milk shake. You never really here that anymore.

When I was growing up we would refer to money as "bones". So it would be used in this manner;" Hey man, how many bones you got on you?". Not the most proper of language...but it was "cool" then.

So how about you...any words or phrases you have not heard in awhile?

Mark Singer
05-06-2005, 9:53 AM
"pedal pushers" ....higher womens pants

"cheap gas" inexpensive fuel

"valise" ....luggage

"bloomers" ....underwear

"dunderees"..... jeans

"Shlamaca" ....a rare tree the berries often used for ice cream

"stoop" .....front porch ,or very dumb person:confused:

Matt Meiser
05-06-2005, 10:07 AM
When she was a child, they used the word frap when referring to a milk shake. You never really here that anymore.

Actually, Starbucks is using that as part of the name of a drink--Frappuccino. I figured it was a name they made up.

Not that I go there. And certainly not every morning when I'm out of town and there's one between my hotel and where I need to go. Nope. Not me.

Ken Garlock
05-06-2005, 10:44 AM
Hi Donnie. Your Mom must have been from Massachusetts. They are the only people I have ever heard of that call a milk shake a frap. They also call flavored milk a milk shake. Some "interesting" people up that way. :D :D

Moxie is another term you don't hear any more. There was a soft drink up New England way called Moxie. It was so bad that it made Dr. Pepper taste like a fine wine. :eek: :rolleyes:

John Daugherty
05-06-2005, 12:08 PM
When I was little, people used to call a paper bag a poke. People used to say they had it in a "tow sack". Which was carring something in a feed bag.

Donnie Raines
05-06-2005, 12:12 PM
Hi Donnie. Your Mom must have been from Massachusetts. They are the only people I have ever heard of that call a milk shake a frap. They also call flavored milk a milk shake. Some "interesting" people up that way. :D :D

Moxie is another term you don't hear any more. There was a soft drink up New England way called Moxie. It was so bad that it made Dr. Pepper taste like a fine wine. :eek: :rolleyes:

She grew up in Cambridge Mass.....good call Ken! :D :cool:

Lee Schierer
05-06-2005, 12:53 PM
My DIL still uses Frappe for milk shake, she is from Maine. Apparently it is quite common up there.

Some other things you don't see any more are the guys at filling stations that would fill up your tank, clean your windshield check your oil and give you a free glass and say thank just for buying gas.

JayStPeter
05-06-2005, 3:33 PM
I still use "bone" for money. We never pluralize it though, bone = dollars .
1: "How much did you pay for that?"
2: "Around 15 bone"

Jay

Norman Hitt
05-06-2005, 5:20 PM
A Stogie was a Cigar, a Flivver was a car, a Oneway was a plow---(now a lathe), and some differences between Southern and Northern pronunciations are; pecan= South-pekahn, North-pee-can, and for all the Northern TV announcers, Pecos Tx/River, etc., is pronounced Paycos, not Peecos.

John Hart
05-06-2005, 6:03 PM
Five and Dime stores

And along those lines..."Murphys" are Fives and Tens in cards.

I still hear Schlamaca from time to time.

Mark Singer
05-06-2005, 7:46 PM
Yes , An occasional shlamaca....
Five and Dime stores

And along those lines..."Murphys" are Fives and Tens in cards.

I still hear Schlamaca from time to time.

Don Bergren
05-06-2005, 8:11 PM
My DIL still uses Frappe for milk shake, she is from Maine. Apparently it is quite common up there.

Some other things you don't see any more are the guys at filling stations that would fill up your tank, clean your windshield check your oil and give you a free glass and say thank just for buying gas.

Yup, Frappe is what this Maine boy always had as a kid.

I filled up the van on Wednesday at a local station and had my gas pumped by a station employee. And he washed my windshield as well as the back windows of my van. Didn't give me a glass though. :D But he did say thank you and wished me a good day.

I like living in the boonies where I can still experience a full service gas station. I know their days are numbered.

Along the lines of gas stations, you never see a "free air" sign these days. Just a box with an air hose that you pump money into to add air to your tires. Sigh...... progress has a much bigger price than we realize.

Darren Ford
05-06-2005, 9:42 PM
I'm sure these are still in use, but I'm the only person I know that still uses them at the office. They seemed like normal language to me until people started making fun, mostly people from NY...

Stove up ... I'll plow tomorrow if I'm not to stove up from choppin firewood.
Tote ... Help me tote this sack of potaters, if you're not too stove up.
Fixin To.... I'm fixin to slap you upside the head if you don't stop asking me what stove up means.

Ray Thompson
05-06-2005, 9:59 PM
Anybody ever drink a phosphate? Cherry, vanilla, or chocolate.

Ray

Ron Jones near Indy
05-06-2005, 10:12 PM
about 50 years ago. The corn crib was storage for corn on the cob--now it's shelled and stored. The gunny sack was a burlap bag used to carry the grease gun. Milk cans were filled and kept in a milk trough filled with fresh, cold water for cooling.

Jerry Olexa
05-07-2005, 11:04 AM
They also have a type of milkshake (in your local Freindly's) in New England called a Cabinet...?!:D