PDA

View Full Version : mods to the DIY bowl lathe

neil mackay
03-02-2013, 7:06 AM
Not sure if this is the right spot, if not move it on.

OK I built this lathe a few years ago as a second lathe to finish the bottoms of bowl, hollow vessels and the like. I would leave either the Longworth or the Donut chuck fitted to the lathe.

Now its become the general lathe till the other is done. So the mods consist of a custom indexing system with two indexing discs giving a variation between 15 to 90 using a simple quick release of two locking screws.

The other is the fitting of a third pulley into the drive train. This gives me a wide variation of speed to choose from although I doubt that I need that many. I can now set speeds from around 250 rpm to 2800 rpm and the low speed has a great deal of torque as they are driven by 1.5 hp 240 v motor drawing around 7-8 amps.

Jerry Marcantel
03-02-2013, 8:37 AM
Cool, Neil, I love seeing things people conjured up. Nice job. Did you do it all, or did you farm out some of it, like the welding and any machining that was needed?
It always amazes me that when you make something, there is always room for improvement later on. The mind is always looking to make things better than what was done yesterday. Enough of my rambling... Again, nice job. ........... Jerry (in Tucson)

Brian Kent
03-02-2013, 9:56 AM
Very interesting job, Neil. Looks pretty heavy duty.