PDA

View Full Version : Jet 14" 40th anniversary saw value?

Dan Masshardt
03-01-2013, 7:13 PM
I need a bandsaw for turning blank prep and other general stuff.

I don't have much to spend and I can't easily wait and save up.

I've been looking at used delta clone imports as that's what seems to be in my budget.

I came across this jet 14" 1hp 40th anniversary band saw with jet fence - no other mods than I'm aware of.

Story is that father in law set it up and hardly got a chance to use it. It does look new.

Listed locally for $500, I offered $350 and owner came back at $400.

I'm not going to pay $400 because $350 is pushing the top end hard on budget.

Is $350 a good deal if I can get it or not so much.

What I really want is an older delta but not to be found - expect 12" with limited capacity.

Anyone have this 49th anniversary saw?

Thanks.

Dan Masshardt
03-01-2013, 7:56 PM
I have been researching the other threads.... So much good info.

Mainly just looking for $ value of this saw. Thanks.

Mike Heidrick
03-01-2013, 9:39 PM
That is a great price for a 14" (even at $400) that is over a grand new.

John Bailey
03-01-2013, 10:13 PM
It's common for folks to start at 50% of new price and then go up or down considering the condition of the saw. That saw is considered a good saw and from your description, I think $400 is a fair price, but your $350 offer is certainly fair also. I think $350 would be a good deal. You would end up with a good solid bandsaw.

Of course, if you we're able to wait and save, you're just down the road Muncy, PA and I've heard there's a fairly good place to shop for a bandsaw in Muncy. I think the G0555LX, at $525 is just about the best bargain in new bandsaws.

Dan Masshardt
03-02-2013, 8:00 AM
Thanks guys. Just heard from the seller. $350 can buy it. Really thinking about it...

John Bailey
03-02-2013, 8:46 AM
Thanks guys. Just heard from the seller. $350 can buy it. Really thinking about it...

If you can't wait, I'd say that's a good deal. Even if you could wait, it's still a good deal.

If you get it, make sure you call and have Iturra Designs send one of their catalogues. It's like a text/history book. Wouldn't be a bad idea to get a 1/4" or 3/8" blade while you are at it. Having a decent, and particularly, a sharp blade to start will save you a lot of headaches.

Mike Heidrick
03-02-2013, 10:46 AM

If you hesitate long it will be gone. You will most likely get at least that $350 out of it when you sell it.

The 14" saws get very expensive with upgrades. If you will ever put the 6" riser on it - do it now before investing in smaller blades.

John Bailey
03-02-2013, 11:41 AM
Not to muddy the waters too much, but Grizzly just dropped the price on the GO555LX by $100 to $445. I still think the Jet's probably a better buy, but you'd get a warranty and Grizzly customer service with the new machine.

Dan Masshardt
03-02-2013, 12:15 PM
Is the grizzly actually better constructed than the jet or just the most bang for buck in new saw?

glenn bradley
03-02-2013, 12:26 PM
I would say he who hesitates is lost. I also would not quibble over $50 or $100 on a tool that you will use for decades. Even at $500, the saw probably costs less than the coffee you drink in a year. I realize that budgets are budgets and we only have what we have but, I would not want to be sorry for a decade over $50 is all I am saying. If the Jet looks to be low use, it has barely begun its useful life and the price seems fair. The Grizzly does add bearing style guides but, that being "better" or "worse" than the block style on the Jet is a matter of opinion. I like rollers.

Dan Masshardt
03-02-2013, 12:51 PM
Just noticed the black grizzly 30th anniversary special. Cool looking saw for $445... Wouldn't have to wait long for that.

Joe Angrisani
03-02-2013, 1:00 PM
Just noticed the black grizzly 30th anniversary special. Cool looking saw for $445....

But then your $350 budget rears it's head.

Buy the Jet before it's too late. Go. Now!!! :D

John Bailey
03-02-2013, 1:34 PM
Is the grizzly actually better constructed than the jet or just the most bang for buck in new saw?

I'd be surprised if there was much difference. Both have gotten a lot of good press, overall. The only reason I'd go with the Grizzly is the warranty and customer service. That being said, I would've already bought the Jet. You're going to have to put some money into some blades anyway and the $100 savings will help in that regard.

Eric Goosman
03-02-2013, 3:09 PM
I hope you don't mind me jumping in. Looking for my first bandsaw and can't decide between G055LX, X, and the JET 14" Deluxe Pro on sale at Woodcraft this week. I live in Alaska, so free shipping on the Jet is a real bonus. I am a new woodworker and finding it difficult to make much of anything w/o a wide range of tools. I would like to eventually make a range of things from boxes to furniture (coffee table/end tables, etc.). I would appreciate any advice. Let me know if i should start a new thread for this and I will. Thanks.

Eric

Bruce Page
03-02-2013, 3:27 PM
Eric, it would be best to start a new thread, you will get more specific replies to your situation. I've been up in your neck of the woods a few times, it is beautiful country!

Joseph Tarantino
03-02-2013, 3:38 PM

think long and hard about it. you're buying a relatively new jet. my first jet tool was an 18" band saw. i will NEVER own another wmh tool group (parent of jet, powermatic and wilton) tool again. i got more help sorting that BS out from steel city tool works and iturra design than i did from jet. $350 for a good taiwanese BS isn't a bad price. too bad this one's a jet.

Dan Masshardt
03-02-2013, 4:20 PM
think long and hard about it. you're buying a relatively new jet. my first jet tool was an 18" band saw. i will NEVER own another wmh tool group (parent of jet, powermatic and wilton) tool again. i got more help sorting that BS out from steel city tool works and iturra design than i did from jet. $350 for a good taiwanese BS isn't a bad price. too bad this one's a jet.

Sounds like more of a customer service complaint? I've not heard too many negative comments about powermatic quality ...

Ken Fitzgerald
03-02-2013, 9:17 PM
One person's experience doesn't indicate a trend. I have had good service from Jet in the past.

Just because one old outdated product had technical problems, doesn't mean newer updated, or differently designed products are defective or bad.
There are a lot of examples of that.

Recently, one member had a rash of problems with a recommended brand new SteelCity tablesaw. Does that provide reason to condemn all Steel City products? Hardly. It's merely one incident.

Mike Cutler
03-03-2013, 6:48 AM
Dan

I own the Jet 14" closed stand Gold Series bandsaw. It's not the exact model you are looking at, but it is essentially the same.
I wouldn't sell you my bandsaw for $350.00, I can tell you that for a fact, and I have two bandsaws. If you can get a complete 14" Jet, closed stand bandsaw, for $350.00 you should not hesitate buying it. You are not going to get a better bandsaw for that $$$
As for the parts issue;
These saws, are clones of the original 14" Delta bandsaw, as are some of the Grizzly models. The castings and parts are so close to the original Delta patents that they are interchangeable to a large degree, and would only require slight modification if not. There is not a single part on that saw that I couldn't find a replacement for in a different color.
The one part you should change right of the bat is the tension spring. The stock spring is only good for about 8500- 9000 lbs. force. A Carter Cobra Coil replacement will take you up to the13,500- 14,500 lbs. force range. If you want to run a 1/2" blade you'll need more than the OEM spring can supply, and still have space between the coils. The saw spec's that you can run a 3/4" blade, and it will, and I have, but it's pushing it and you risk bottoming out the tension spring and breaking the yoke.
Buy the saw, and buy Mark Duginske's book on bandsaws.

Curt Harms
03-03-2013, 8:53 AM
I would say he who hesitates is lost. I also would not quibble over $50 or $100 on a tool that you will use for decades. Even at $500, the saw probably costs less than the coffee you drink in a year. I realize that budgets are budgets and we only have what we have but, I would not want to be sorry for a decade over $50 is all I am saying. If the Jet looks to be low use, it has barely begun its useful life and the price seems fair. The Grizzly does add bearing style guides but, that being "better" or "worse" than the block style on the Jet is a matter of opinion. I like rollers.

Nothing says you can't have both guide types. Dan mentioned turning blanks. I've read where blocks are better when cutting wet wood, run cool blocks against the blade, they help to remove sap and gunk. Also when cutting wet wood, I'd suspect that more h.p. is better as well as a purpose designed blade.

Matthew Lavanish
03-06-2013, 11:06 AM
Dan, if you have your heart set on the Delta/Rockwell 14" band saw, then I suggest keep looking. They are around, and can be found in your price range. But it will take some patience and searching farther afield. I know of a couple in the Philadelphia/South Jersey area just from having been watching the classifieds over the past couple weeks. Not sure if you would want to travel that far though.

Joseph Tarantino
03-06-2013, 3:19 PM
Sounds like more of a customer service complaint? I've not heard too many negative comments about powermatic quality ...

then you haven't looked hard enough. i'd add to that, but it might get the post edited or deleted.

Dan Masshardt
03-06-2013, 7:41 PM
Thanks Matthew. I might go to Philly for the right deal. I have been looking in a wider area too.