PDA

View Full Version : Corian adhesive?

Randy Rizzo
03-01-2013, 6:26 PM
My brother has a stainless steel under mount sink in a Corian countertop. The sink is supported by wood blocks glued to the Corian. I believe the rim is sealed with silicone. Over time the wood supporting blocks have come loose and the weight of the sink has broken the water tight seal at the rim. The question is, what adhesive will adhere to Corian? We plan on pulling the sink, scraping silicone residue off and using adhesive of some sort to paste the sink back in place. Silicone? Will silicone by itself work on Corian. Can Corian be drilled to accept screws? If not, will silicone by itself be sufficient? I'm not worried about a color match since this will be unseen. I have Silestone and when the installers put in the stainless sink they just pasted it up there with silicone, 10 years later, still there. Not sure if this will work the same with Corian.

Chris Rosenberger
03-01-2013, 11:38 PM
Silicone works the best. Clean off the old caulking, scuff up the Corian surface where the sink mounts with 80 grit paper. Scuff the mounting surface of the sink also. Clean the the mounting surfaces of the sink & Corian with denatured alcohol. Remount the sink.
As you have seen on your sink, if the surfaces are prepared correctly, the sink will stay in place for years.

Curt Harms
03-02-2013, 8:04 AM
Silicone is recommended for Corian-Wood joints. Some epoxies will work but could cause problems, Corian moves due to temperature, wood moves due to moisture do each material moves differently. Silicone has some flex, epoxy does not. DuPont's Corian installer's manual is available online. A quick google should turn it up.

Lee Schierer
03-02-2013, 6:20 PM
One of the strongest glues I've seen is the Hi Pur hot melt polyurethane glue. I'm not sure of how it would work with Corian, but it grips like crazy on wood. There aren't many glues that will stick where silicone has been applied and removed so I would place your new blocks at new locations so you have a fresh grip surface working for you.