PDA

View Full Version : Paring Chisels Rolling Over.... Suggestions

Glenn Samuels
03-01-2013, 5:48 PM
I purchased a set of Sorby's and initially was thrilled with them. After about a week of using them on african mahogany, they are rolling over after a few strokes. I have great stones, 1000, 6000, 13,000 ( Stu's tools) and they get awfully sharp ( my hands will prove it). They just won't hold an edge as I've mentioned above. They came with 20 degree bevels and I decided to change one to 25 degrees thinking that it would help. Nope. I've read some comments about soft steel so I could use some advise. Are Henry Taylor's that much better?

Sam Takeuchi
03-01-2013, 5:54 PM
That's in line with Sorby's reputation on their contemporary line of products. Sadly, that's normal for this brand. Either return them or re-harden them if you are able.

David Weaver
03-01-2013, 6:39 PM
Unless you go japanese, none of the new reasonably priced chisels are equal to the old parers that you can usually get for around $20.

I would assume that the sorby chisels are some sort of chrome vanadium steel. In my experience so far, nothing they make seems very hard. Not the HSS turning tools and not their chisels.

Sam Takeuchi
03-01-2013, 6:58 PM
Check with John Coloccia about Henry Taylor paring chisels. He can tell you much about it. I remember he even had a video review of them.

Matthew Hills
03-02-2013, 12:08 AM
Check with John Coloccia about Henry Taylor paring chisels. He can tell you much about it. I remember he even had a video review of them.
Good memory:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/content.php?131-Review-Worksharp-3000-Henry-Taylor-Paring-Chisels

Glenn Samuels
03-02-2013, 9:36 AM
I watched the 3 part video about the Henry Taylor paring chisels and it was quite informative. Thank you for posting it.

John Coloccia
03-02-2013, 9:42 AM
Yes, I think the Taylors are better than the Sorbys. Sorby makes a great turning tool, but their chisels seem to be awfully soft, and this is one of those cases where nearly everyone agrees. Now watch....20 people will disagree, but if you look over the years, the general consensus seems to be that they would benefit from a harder edge. I use a paring chisel more than I use anything else, and I like my Taylors very much. They're not particularly expensive. Why not pick one up and try one?

george wilson
03-02-2013, 9:46 AM
I had to re harden the Sorby turning tools that we had in the toolmaker's shop. I'll bet that they were 20 years old,even in 1970. Even with re hardening,if their carbon steel has too low a carbon content,they will not have good wear resistance to dulling. Re hardening them did help.

Jim Koepke
03-02-2013, 12:30 PM
Sorby makes a great turning tool, but their chisels seem to be awfully soft

There turning tools are also soft. I have a few and they wear quicker than even my old Craftsman turning tools.

jtk

Ryan Baker
03-03-2013, 11:46 PM
There turning tools are also soft. I have a few and they wear quicker than even my old Craftsman turning tools.

jtk

Not mine. My Sorby turning tools are pretty decent. They can't hold up to the fancier steels like the Thompson powdered metal tools, but they run rings around my old Craftsman (HSS) tools. Certainly very workable tools. The bench chisels are much softer.

I like my Taylor paring chisels fine. Most people don't spend that much time paring anyway. There are nicer/more expensive options that will work just as well, as are selective winners in the vintage market.

John Coloccia
03-04-2013, 1:10 AM
I had good luck with my Sorby turning tools too. Shoot, I'm bummed to hear that some folks had trouble with theirs.

Jim Koepke
03-04-2013, 2:05 AM
I had good luck with my Sorby turning tools too. Shoot, I'm bummed to hear that some folks had trouble with theirs.

Could it be something to do with how recently they were made or maybe mine came from a bad batch?

jtk

John Coloccia
03-04-2013, 5:05 AM
Could it be something to do with how recently they were made or maybe mine came from a bad batch?

jtk

Well, I'm not much of a turner. I actually sold off all of my turning equipment and I'm trying to sell my lathe. Maybe I'm just such a lousy turner that I can't tell the difference between a properly hardened tool and a dull carrot.

David Weaver
03-04-2013, 7:54 AM
I get along fine with them, too. I've only noticed them to be soft compared to a couple of other tools, but mine are fine for work. They're a little more durable than the import gouge I got when I was in a pinch. I'd never have thought about it if I didn't have tools to compare them to, though, they're not that bad.