PDA

View Full Version : What's an installed 8kw atandby generator go for?

Wade Lippman
03-01-2013, 4:44 PM
I am having a bad case of buyer's remorse on a generator I just bought.

I was only casually looking for one. A Generac dealer told me it would be $5,800 to $6,200, but never came out or gave me an actual quote.
A Eaton dealer was here today about a water softener, and mentioned that he had a previously installed, but never used generator for $4,700. It included the full warranty. (It also included $1,000 off the water softener if I go for that). That seemed like a good deal and I took it. Now I am having second thoughts.

What would a normal price be for a full instalation? All I have to go by is the Generac dealers price.

Chuck Wintle
03-01-2013, 4:58 PM
you would have to figure on the transfer switch to connect it during a power failure. 8000 watts is not that much....will run the basic circuits in the house. What is the capacity of the one you bought? Are these like electric motors that have a rating of continuous or heavy duty. A little more info would help....the model number of the generac and the one form the eaton dealer.

Matt Meiser
03-01-2013, 5:08 PM
I figure my 12kw ran about $4k and I did most of the work with a friend and the gas line was already run. My dads 12kw ran well over $6500 and I contributed some labor.

I don't think it's a bad deal if that's a turn-key price.

Wade Lippman
03-01-2013, 5:25 PM
Turnkey; permit, battery, all that good stuff.
Eaton EGEN8
https://www.platt.com/platt-electric-supply/Generators-Standby/Eaton/EGEN8/product.aspx?zpid=79629

Currently I use a 2000w generator and it pretty much does everything I need; though I can't do the microwave or coffee maker.
7000w (on NG) will be luxurious. Okay, I can't run the A/C, but I can live without that for a week.