PDA

View Full Version : curly cherry// want to get all the pzazz

larry merlau
05-06-2005, 8:57 AM
just for bart..well actually its for me too:) i have a project coming up that will have some real nice curly cherry in it, i want to get all the pzazz i can from it. and have a semi gloss or satin final appearance, what are your suggestions? i am sure that there are some of you that use cherry alot that have it all figured out so thanks in advance.. and bart there are other's with finishing questions, its just that you type faster than we do. thanks again and am glad to see this forum jim.

Donnie Raines
05-06-2005, 9:53 AM
What kind of project you working on Larry?

Bart Sharp
05-06-2005, 11:36 AM
just for bart..well actually its for me too:) i have a project coming up that will have some real nice curly cherry in it, i want to get all the pzazz i can from it. and have a semi gloss or satin final appearance, what are your suggestions? i am sure that there are some of you that use cherry alot that have it all figured out so thanks in advance.. and bart there are other's with finishing questions, its just that you type faster than we do. thanks again and am glad to see this forum jim.

I don't know the answer to your question Larry, since I've never worked with curly cherry. But I have to respond, because not having my name at the top of the finishing forum is just unacceptable. :D

Jim Becker
05-06-2005, 12:05 PM
My finishing regimen for cherry, curly or otherwise, starts with a liberal application of BLO. Put it on...let it set for about a half hour and then wipe off any excess, disposing of the rags properly. After a few days, I often apply a barrier coat of de-waxed shellac, usually garnet, to seal and add some additional tone and clarity. (Shellac can add some sparkle to the figure, too, due to its wonderful clarity and shine) Now, if I'm just doing the oil and wax thing, I obviously skip the shellac... ;)

At that point, what happens next depends on the project. For some things, I stop there. Shellac is a wonderful finish in itself. For others, I apply additional top coating; either WB acrylic lacquer if I'm spraying or some form of varnish if I'm wiping or brushing.

Joe Tonich
05-06-2005, 4:42 PM
I used Velvit Oil, then laquer on this cradle I made with curly Cherry. The figure really popped when I oiled it, then more so with the laquer. :)

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=1183

Joe

lou sansone
05-06-2005, 9:09 PM
I have to admit that this is the first time I saw some decent curly cherry. Joe did a great job with it.

lou

Ray Petri
05-06-2005, 10:34 PM
I am making a pipe box (to put candles in) out of curly maple I got today from Curly Woods in Tx. What type of finish would you put on it to really bring out the curl? Thanks.

Ken Salisbury
05-07-2005, 4:58 AM
Here is a small Hope Chest I made from curly cherry a couple years ago. The finish was simply Minwax Antique Oil (now called Tung Oil Finish) - 3 coats (24 hrs between coats) sanded to 600 grit between coats, followed with Minwax Finishing Wax.

http://www.oldrebelworkshop.com/Hope_Chest.jpg

lou sansone
05-07-2005, 6:46 AM
real nice box ken.. wow another nice curly cherry piece

lou

Karl Laustrup
05-07-2005, 7:20 AM
Just curious, Ken, but has that chest darkened over the course of time since it was finished?

Karl

Ken Salisbury
05-07-2005, 3:47 PM
Just curious, Ken, but has that chest darkened over the course of time since it was finished?

Karl

OH YES as cherry normally does.

larry merlau
05-09-2005, 7:39 AM
[QUOTE=Ken Salisbury]Here is a small Hope Chest I made from curly cherry a couple years ago. The finish was simply Minwax Antique Oil (now called Tung Oil Finish) - 3 coats (24 hrs between coats) sanded to 600 grit between coats, followed with Minwax Finishing Wax.

thanks for all the input and thats another nice piece ken, i bet it really shimmers in the light.