PDA

View Full Version : 14 inch band saw opinions?

Maurice Arney
03-01-2013, 6:34 AM
I'm looking for a new band saw and found two in my price range that are very similar. So it may come down to a functional detail that I overlooked, or which company has better customer support. The Shop Fox W1706 http://www.amazon.com/Shop-Fox-W1706-14-Inch-Bandsaw/dp/B000J14IB2/ref=sr_1_1?s=power-hand-tools&ie=UTF8&qid=1362136322&sr=1-1 vs Jet JWBS-14CS https://www.cpojettools.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-jet-Site/default/Cart-Show/C394471042

Would appreciate any opinions on either the tool or the manufacturer.

Thanks!

Curt Harms
03-01-2013, 6:59 AM
For those prices? I'd buy what I have again, Rikon 10-325. DESIGNED to resaw 13" out of the box, no add-ons required. It's not a resawing beast with 1.5 h.p. but it'll work fine for the occasional piece. They go on sale several times a year at Woodcraft if you have one local, saves on shipping. The freight at Highland is a killer unless you're kinda close to Atlanta.

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/rikon-14-deluxe-bandsaw.aspx

Maurice Arney
03-01-2013, 7:20 AM
For those prices? I'd buy what I have again, Rikon 10-325. DESIGNED to resaw 13" out of the box, no add-ons required. It's not a resawing beast with 1.5 h.p. but it'll work fine for the occasional piece. They go on sale several times a year at Woodcraft if you have one local, saves on shipping. The freight at Highland is a killer unless you're kinda close to Atlanta.

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/rikon-14-deluxe-bandsaw.aspx

Thanks... That looks like a great saw! At 50% more, it might be a little out of my price range though.

John Bailey
03-01-2013, 7:21 AM
You may want to check the equivalent Grizzly models. Might be cheaper, even with shipping and their customer support is excellent.

Maurice Arney
03-01-2013, 7:28 AM
You may want to check the equivalent Grizzly models. Might be cheaper, even with shipping and their customer support is excellent.

Thanks... I did look at Grizzly 14 inch saws and the prices are virtually the same. I've seen some really negative comments about the company but I personally have no experience with them.

eugene thomas
03-01-2013, 9:05 AM
isn't shop fox grizzly with white paint. i am not trying to knock grizzly. do hav few shop fox and grizzly tools in my tool collection. just saying.

Maurice Arney
03-01-2013, 9:13 AM
isn't shop fox grizzly with white paint. i am not trying to knock grizzly. do hav few shop fox and grizzly tools in my tool collection. just saying.

That's what I've read... Same company but different product lines.

Prashun Patel
03-01-2013, 9:18 AM
"I've seen some really negative comments about the company but I personally have no experience with them."

I would view negative comments about Grizzly with a cautious eye; there are just more comments about Grizzly overall out there. There are a lot of positives as well. I've owned 2 Grizzly bsaws and wouldn't hesitate to buy one again. Their service is good, their prices are wonderful. I do not find their quality lacking either.

Maurice Arney
03-01-2013, 9:24 AM
"I've seen some really negative comments about the company but I personally have no experience with them."

I would view negative comments about Grizzly with a cautious eye; there are just more comments about Grizzly overall out there. There are a lot of positives as well. I've owned 2 Grizzly bsaws and wouldn't hesitate to buy one again. Their service is good, their prices are wonderful. I do not find their quality lacking either.

I'm keeping an open mind... There will always be negative reviews even on the best products/manufacturers.

Mike Tekin
03-01-2013, 9:54 AM
I'm keeping an open mind... There will always be negative reviews even on the best products/manufacturers.

Maurice good thinking and well as what Prashun has mentioned. Grizzly, Jet/Powermatic, Rikon, Shop Fox, etc all make quality tools for the woodworker in these modern times - don't focus too much on the negative reviews - thousands of machines have been sold for each negative review there is out there.

Its just how it is in all products made.

The Shop Fox and Jet you mentioned are well built - but if you don't mind the open stand, then look at the Grizzly G0555LX - its the same as the Shop Fox model, a little cheaper, different paint, and an open stand - plus you can see if someone has a 10% off coupon from their Woodworker Journal magazine they will share.

Finally, the next 10 days, Jet and Powermatic are 15% off which may bring their price down a little. Good luck.

Also, I have ordered from CPO Tools, Amazon, Grizzly, and Shop Fox (Amazon) and have good luck with each retailer. Don't count out the local Woodcraft if you have one too.

Maurice Arney
03-01-2013, 11:13 AM
Maurice good thinking and well as what Prashun has mentioned. Grizzly, Jet/Powermatic, Rikon, Shop Fox, etc all make quality tools for the woodworker in these modern times - don't focus too much on the negative reviews - thousands of machines have been sold for each negative review there is out there.

The Shop Fox and Jet you mentioned are well built - but if you don't mind the open stand, then look at the Grizzly G0555LX - its the same as the Shop Fox model, a little cheaper, different paint, and an open stand - plus you can see if someone has a 10% off coupon from their Woodworker Journal magazine they will share.

Finally, the next 10 days, Jet and Powermatic are 15% off which may bring their price down a little. Good luck.

Also, I have ordered from CPO Tools, Amazon, Grizzly, and Shop Fox (Amazon) and have good luck with each retailer. Don't count out the local Woodcraft if you have one too.

I do like the closed stand since I have a very small shop and any extra storage is a bonus. That being said, it looks like the Shop Fox and Jet are pretty much the same machine.

Looking more at the Jet... it does not include a fence (fence is $110 extra) The Shop Fox does include an aluminum fence.

Myk Rian
03-01-2013, 11:50 AM
You will find that people recommend what they have, not necessarily what you are looking at.
Grizzly gets kudos here because they support the site.
Myself. I prefer Delta vintage.

Howard Acheson
03-01-2013, 12:01 PM
>>>> You may want to check the equivalent Grizzly models.

Shop Fox is Grizzly as I recall.

Jeff Monson
03-01-2013, 12:04 PM
Where are you located Maurice? I have a 14" Powermatic that I will be selling shortly for $700.00, extemely nice condition.

John Bailey
03-01-2013, 1:04 PM
You will find that people recommend what they have, not necessarily what you are looking at.

Yep! Folks like the fact that Grizzly supports our site -- especially that the president of the company will answer questions directly on the forum. They also like the customer service and the prices.

As for vintage Delta, my opinion is you can't do better than a vintage Delta 14" bandsaw. Even the ones that need some work are just a couple of bearings and tires away from being as good, usually better, than any of the newer saws. My 1939 model was one of the best two machines I've ever had -- rock solid. Bought it for $200, sold it for $200 and was a fool for letting it go.

Gordon Eyre
03-01-2013, 1:52 PM
I just took delivery of the G0555LX as a result of winning the SMC drawing. Quality looks great and so far the customer service has been excellent. I was very impressed with the shipping and delivery of the machine. Even the Fed Ex guy complimented Grizzly for their shipping practices.

Maurice Arney
03-01-2013, 3:00 PM
Where are you located Maurice? I have a 14" Powermatic that I will be selling shortly for $700.00, extemely nice condition.

Jeff, I'm in New Hampshire. A bit out of the way... :(

Pinwu Xu
03-01-2013, 3:21 PM
I do like the closed stand since I have a very small shop and any extra storage is a bonus. That being said, it looks like the Shop Fox and Jet are pretty much the same machine.

Looking more at the Jet... it does not include a fence (fence is $110 extra) The Shop Fox does include an aluminum fence.

You can put board around the open stand, and this creates extra storage room

Stephen Cherry
03-01-2013, 4:07 PM
Yep! Folks like the fact that Grizzly supports our site -- especially that the president of the company will answer questions directly on the forum. They also like the customer service and the prices.

As for vintage Delta, my opinion is you can't do better than a vintage Delta 14" bandsaw. Even the ones that need some work are just a couple of bearings and tires away from being as good, usually better, than any of the newer saws. My 1939 model was one of the best two machines I've ever had -- rock solid. Bought it for $200, sold it for $200 and was a fool for letting it go.

This is the correct answer. The older Delta machines will pop up for low money, and will be close to free, if you play your cards right. (which means buying a working machine)

For parts and customer service, I think that the Griz has won that game. Too bad that they don't bring in Italian machines.

Thomas Hotchkin
03-01-2013, 4:26 PM
Maurice
Here you go Delta 14" band saw in Manchester. Tom http://nh.craigslist.org/tls/3642210704.html

Stephen Cherry
03-01-2013, 4:30 PM
Maurice
Here you go Delta 14" band saw in Manchester. Tom http://nh.craigslist.org/tls/3642210704.html

Nice- plus it's an OBO

Maurice Arney
03-01-2013, 5:33 PM
Maurice

Thanks Tom. Can't really tell what size it is... I'll shoot him an email.

Thomas Hotchkin
03-01-2013, 5:40 PM
Maurice
Looks to be a 14" Delta from pictures, with light and has fence rails bolted on. Ask about the fence, not a great fence but very usable. Tom

John Bailey
03-01-2013, 5:54 PM
Thanks Tom. Can't really tell what size it is... I'll shoot him an email.

It looks like it will take a riser, so it's almost certainly a 14".

Maurice Arney
03-01-2013, 6:14 PM
OK... I'm looking at the Grizzly G0555LX... Anyone know where I can get that 10% coupon?

Paul Wunder
03-01-2013, 6:28 PM
Woodworkers Journal April issue. I am a subscriber and it came with a glued on cover overlay just for Grizzley

10% discount on all sales over $300.00 Good through April 30th. The coupon almost covers the cover.

Don't know if the newsstand copies will have the coupon

Maurice Arney
03-01-2013, 6:39 PM
Anyone have a coupon that they aren't going to use?

Roger Rayburn
03-01-2013, 7:10 PM
I have a Grizzly band saw. It sits on a Shop Fox mobile base. I Called Grizzly with a question about my band saw and got the answer quickly and courteously from the first person I talked to . I called Shop Fox with a question about my mobile base. They told me to call Grizzly. Shop Fox sells through resellers (Grizzly is one) and doesn't support end users directly, they expect the reseller to provide that support. Grizzly sells direct to end users and supports them directly.

Maurice Arney
03-01-2013, 7:44 PM

I think I'm going to go with the Grizzly G0555LX. I'm not in a hurry so I'll wait until the next 10% coupon shows up. Thanks for the info!

Scott Reed
03-01-2013, 9:36 PM
I have the 555LX and love it.

John Bailey
03-01-2013, 10:18 PM
That Grizzly G0555LX is one of the best values out there.

Curt Harms
03-02-2013, 7:50 AM
Jeff, I'm in New Hampshire. A bit out of the way... :(

Depending on where in New Hampshire, Rikon is based in Billerica, MA. and somtimes has scratch & dent available. Price could be about half of new. It'd sure be worth a phone call.

Mark Churay
03-03-2013, 6:03 PM
Well I guess I'm the only one that has a ShopFox 14" Bansaw. First off when I tried to buy a Grizzly, to get a lift gate truck to bring it to my house the shipping cost, drove it above the cost of the Shop Fox at my local dealer. Second I get to deal with a local person and the tax is less than shipping. Third I get to support both a local deler and the tax goes to my parish (county) and state. The saw is really great cast iron wheels, very smooth and once set up it passed the nickel on edge test with the saw running. The blade that comes with it is junk and you can scrap it. I got some Timberwolf blades and it has done everything that I have asked of it. I did add a riser kit and had to get two large metric wrenches to change it. ( feel bad,as I really didn't need them and took them back after use). With a Highland Woodworking Woodslicer it does a credible job of resawing 8" stock. Setup is everything though. At the price I'd get one again. That said If I had a pickup I'd take a vacation to NH and ride the cog RR and get a Powermatic as it has more bells and whisles.
Mark

Maurice Arney
03-04-2013, 5:22 AM
Well I guess I'm the only one that has a ShopFox 14" Bansaw. First off when I tried to buy a Grizzly, to get a lift gate truck to bring it to my house the shipping cost, drove it above the cost of the Shop Fox at my local dealer. Second I get to deal with a local person and the tax is less than shipping. Third I get to support both a local deler and the tax goes to my parish (county) and state. The saw is really great cast iron wheels, very smooth and once set up it passed the nickel on edge test with the saw running. The blade that comes with it is junk and you can scrap it. I got some Timberwolf blades and it has done everything that I have asked of it. I did add a riser kit and had to get two large metric wrenches to change it. ( feel bad,as I really didn't need them and took them back after use). With a Highland Woodworking Woodslicer it does a credible job of resawing 8" stock. Setup is everything though. At the price I'd get one again. That said If I had a pickup I'd take a vacation to NH and ride the cog RR and get a Powermatic as it has more bells and whisles.
Mark

I was seriously leaning toward the Sho Fox as it looks like a really nice saw. What made the difference for me was when the Grizzy went on sale for $100 off plus a 10% coupon got me the saw for like $400!

Ken Fitzgerald
03-04-2013, 10:06 AM

Myk, Grizzly may advertise or support the site occasionally but they can get negative reviews when justified. They aren't granted any special favors. We merely try to be fair to both the consumer and manufacturer.

Myk Rian
03-04-2013, 11:07 AM
Myk, Grizzly may advertise or support the site occasionally but they can get negative reviews when justified. They aren't granted any special favors. We merely try to be fair to both the consumer and manufacturer.
Sure. I understand that. Many users here have shops full of Grizzly.
I had a Griz 8"' jointer and really liked it. Sold it when I restored a 1938 Wallace.

John Marshall
03-05-2013, 1:41 PM
I just poked my head into the website and saw that they have the G0555LANV on sale for $445. Same saw as the G0555LX with the anniversary paint. Drawback, not available until June. I just may have to see if I can convince the wife to let me get one. If you are concerned about a closed base, just build a nice cabinet for it to sit on.

Gus Dundon
03-05-2013, 2:44 PM
Looks like a well shaped band saw. I think it is still in good condition. Goodluck in buying.