PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw duct collection

Kirk (KC) Constable
05-06-2005, 4:21 AM
The shop rehab has resulted in the bandsaw being close enough to the dust collector line to 'try again' and get control over it. I have the JET 14" open stand. The stock dust port under the table is worthless by instelf...so I guess I need something in the door as well. Will a 2" line to a hole in the door be sufficient? I can keep that 'out of the way', and it would be much more convenient (and simpler in my case) than using a 4" line...

KC

Andy London
05-06-2005, 5:45 AM
I have an old Delta that had no stock port, I added a port under the table and cut an opening in the door large enough for 4" port, it works great. My newer Delta has a stock 4" port in the back of the lower door but I had to still add a 2 1/2" port under the table to catch most of the dust.

I don't think a 2 1/2" port in the door will be big enough, especially if you do any resawing with it.

Andy

Bob Aquino
05-06-2005, 8:25 AM
One of the reasons I finally got rid of my older 14 delta was that I could not adequately control the dust the saw made. It was an older 14" metal cutting saw with a cast iron base and dust collection was not a priority back then. The newer saws are designed around it. My 18" delta comes with 2 4" ports and it stays pretty clean inside. Retrofitting some adequate dust collection on a saw without starting to cut into the covers or make irreversable mods is tough. I always think along the lines that I may want to sell a tool someday and somebody else may not like what I have done to it.

In any event, you will need at least a 4 inch port, I would suggest trying something with PVC that attaches under the table and surrounds the lower guides. That was my best bet for getting the dust with my old saw. Good Luck.

Chris Rosenberger
05-06-2005, 8:49 AM
This is how I collect dust on my 14" Delta.

Jim Becker
05-06-2005, 8:51 AM
Here's what I made for the 14" Jet I used to own...

http://sawsndust.com/images/jet-bs/bs-dc-retro1.jpg

http://sawsndust.com/images/jet-bs/bs-dc-4.jpg

markus shaffer
05-06-2005, 12:47 PM
Kirk,

I attached a 4" flange to my saw. It's on a mobile base and I pull it out when I need it. I have a drop from my ducting in the ceiling. I just attach the hose when needed, otherwise it has a space in between the ceiling joists. With this setup, I don't attach anything to the little port on the front at all. The 4" hole catches almost everything the saw produces..

-Markus

Dave Tinley
05-06-2005, 5:35 PM
KC-

I got a toilet flange at the local borg, cut a hole in the bottom of the door, it dont have to be neat and perfect because the flange covers the outside. Three machine screws hold it in place. I also added a small brush to the inside where the bristles rub the wheel and it helped alot.

Hope this helps.

Dave

Matt Meiser
05-06-2005, 11:14 PM
I did something very similar to what's pictured in a few of the responses, but also ran a 2" duct to a pickup right by the lower guides. I had the same thing on my old saw and it worked well.

Kirk (KC) Constable
05-07-2005, 12:47 AM
Thanks for the responses. :)

I heard this afternoon of a JET 18" that's looking for a home...so I may be hooking THAT up instead of the 14". :D

KC