PDA

View Full Version : 12 inch yates American jointer

Andrew Hughes
02-28-2013, 7:54 PM
Going to look at this Yates jointer tomorrow.I have a good check list I think.One question I have for you guys is the seller says the motor is three phase 3 hp ge motor.The machine tech I know that gave me the check list says I might lose as much as on hp if I use a static phase converter.Leaving 2 to operate the machine.This may be the deal breaker for me if need more juice. Don't want to spend more for a new motor.Seller is asking 1000.
Anyone using a vfd .

Mel Fulks
02-28-2013, 8:31 PM
Nice machine .Really like that big adjustment wheel ,one turn moves table 1/8 inch.Good luck with electricity.

mreza Salav
02-28-2013, 8:39 PM
I don't know but I personally wouldn't pay that kind of money as usually these vintage jointers can be had for much less.
As for the motor, I am using a VFD to run my 3HP bandsaw and I don't think you'd loose much (if any) with a proper VFD setup.

David Kumm
02-28-2013, 11:16 PM
Being able to see the planer marks across the entire width is a big deal. I'd pay 1K for that before 1K for a new jointer. If the table is indeed as good as it looks the tables will be flatter than anything new for twice that amount. The cutter head will be close to a 5 inch diameter and the bearings huge compared to new. $300 will get you a vfd. Maybe you can buy for a little less and put some towards the VFD. The size of the fence alone will make using it much more enjoyable as well. Used jointers have stabilized so the great deals are fewer. The American three toed design was as good as it got and should not be compared to new wedgebed jointers. Design is different and way easier to adjust. Dave

Robert Boyd
02-28-2013, 11:29 PM
The good thing about the jointer it has the fence and the blade guard. About the price that is depends where you live. I just about a 24" American for $500. but I live on the east coast where they are plentiful. Concerning the electrical whether you put a single phase motor or a VFD you will be $200. into it. I prefer the VFD route. Don't let three phase scare you too much in your decision. Because you don't know the condition of the bearings on the cutter head and the motor. You might have to replace the knives. Little work now and the jointer will last your lifetime.

Andrew Hughes
03-01-2013, 12:43 AM
Thanks for responding guys,the jointer is only five miles away from me.The seller says the head holds four knives hopefully they are not slotted.He will also run the machine for me I plan on inspecting the head for any sign of damage.I also have several accurate straight edges.I am feeling better about the 3 ph motor the more I research it.

Mike Cutler
03-01-2013, 6:54 AM
Andrew

I too just purchased a "new/old" jointer, and from what I'm seeing you are much, much, closer to being able to put that jointer back to work than I am. Something to seriously consider. 5 miles away is really something to consider.
I don't understand what you mean about "slotted". I would expect a 4 knife cutterhead to use knives that are in slots and held in place with gib screws.
The motor can be changed, and that's not the original motor from what I can see. That's the easiest part of the whole deal. Don't let the motor break the deal for you.
Me personally, I'd buy it unless some part of the casting is cracked.

Kevin Presutti
03-01-2013, 9:17 AM
I would look at a roto phase. The power is cleaner and for the price of a GOOD VFD a few hundred more will get a solid state roto phase that will run a 5hp hard start (ie a compressor, planer etc) up to 71/2hp medium start for around $600.00 delivered to your house from TEMCO. The price of a VFD jumps significantly when you jump to over 11/2 hp. Three phase machines can be had for less $$ if you shop. Ergo you will no longer need a VFD for each machine saving you $$ in the long run. JMHO.

Harry Hagan
03-01-2013, 9:18 AM
If I’m following this discussion correctly, a VFD allows someone to use a three-phase motor when only single-phase power is available, but the tradeoff is a loss in horsepower.

And the advantage of a three-phase motor compared to a single-phase motor is a more efficient use of the electricity.

eugene thomas
03-01-2013, 9:20 AM
jointer looks like could eat some woood. If your really worried about the coast ya might want to check the coast of the vfd and what not. i bought a used 16' jointer year ago for $800 that was 5 hp 3 phase. after bought decided to go with a dispos a blade system and the vfd. ended up have around $2500 in it.

Rod Sheridan
03-01-2013, 9:23 AM
If I’m following this discussion correctly, a VFD allows someone to use a three-phase motor when only single-phase power is available, but the tradeoff is a loss in horsepower.

And the advantage of a three-phase motor compared to a single-phase motor is a more efficient use of the electricity.

Hi, the efficiency of the 3 phase motor compared to a single phase motor isn't worth considering in a home shop. It may buy you a cup of coffee a month, if you use the machine a lot.

A VFD does not result in a loss of motor power, and it brings other nice things such as soft start, braking, overload protection etc into the equation.

The VFD does become expensive if you need single phase input/three phase output beyond a certain power output................Rod.

Sam Layton
03-01-2013, 9:32 AM
Andrew,

I purchased a 3 hp, 3 phase edged sander a couple years back. I also purchased a VFD to run the three phase motor. It works great. I don't notice any loss of power. I don't know much about VFD's, but I understand that above 3 hp they get expensive. 3 hp and below they are reasonable. I can not remember how much I spent on mine, but I think it was between $150 - 200.

Sam

David Kumm
03-01-2013, 9:53 AM
There is no loss of horsepower with either a vfd or a rotary converter, only with a static and you want to avoid that. At 3 hp and below a vfd doesn't need to be derated so you can buy them for about 250-300. RPC goes 500-700 but will allow you to run several machines. VFD is single machine only and requires some wiring changes. Not a big deal. Either way I'd stay with the three phase motor if good. They are more efficient- although the older ones are less so- but don't need start caps. The four knife head is rare and if it has jack screws knife changing is easy. Go to vintagemachinery.com and look at publication reprints. You will likely find either the Yates or American manual for the machine. Dave

Harry Hagan
03-01-2013, 10:00 AM
Hi, the efficiency of the 3 phase motor compared to a single phase motor isn't worth considering in a home shop. It may buy you a cup of coffee a month, if you use the machine a lot.

A VFD does not result in a loss of motor power, and it brings other nice things such as soft start, braking, overload protection etc into the equation.

The VFD does become expensive if you need single phase input/three phase output beyond a certain power output................Rod.

Thanks for the clarification, Rod.

It sounds like a win/win situation and a viable option when considering used equipment.

Steve Rozmiarek
03-01-2013, 10:24 AM
Andrew, this is purely anecdotal, but we have a very big drill press on the farm, it routinely bores 2" or bigger holes in steel plates. It is a 3 hp 3 phase, and I set it up with a VFD, absolutely no problems, it is a very nice combo. A drill really doesn't need that much hp usually, but we do some things with it that I think would make a problem show up if one existed.

If it was me, I'd already be unloading that nice jointer in my shop. :)