PDA

View Full Version : Lathe Stand questions

Lee Alkureishi
02-28-2013, 6:55 PM
Hi all,

I'm in the process of designing a bowl lathe and stand, and had a couple of questions for the folks in the know. The Basis for the lathe will be a Powermatic 90 headstock and spindle, and a very nice short section of ways made by Jeff Nicol (by way of Mike Cruz). It'll be hooked up to a 3ph motor and VFD. I'm still deciding whether to include the reeves drive mechanism or just a simple jackshaft, but that's a different thread!

Anyhow, I was planning to build the stand from a combination of 1/4" thick 2" square steel tube, and 2" and 3" angle iron. However, if I do that, my design would necessitate at least a 13" "riser" under the headstock. I'm wondering what the best/most economical material would be for the riser? I was thinking maybe a 16" concrete block, but wanted to check if there are any concerns with using concrete in the design? I know there are concrete lathes and concrete stands out there, so I'm thinking it would be ok.

If I do combine steel and concrete in the design, what would be the best way of securing them to one another? I have no shortage of angle brackets - can I bolt directly into the concrete, and weld the other side? Would a sleeve anchor be a reasonable way to do that? Would it provide a secure enough connection?

On the other hand, probably the cheapest (and heaviest) option would be to ditch the steel altogether, and make the stand entirely from concrete blocks. I'd actually love to do it this way, but I'm not sure how best to secure the blocks to one another. I'm guessing that regular mortar wouldn't hold up? Or is that plenty strong for this purpose?

Of course, I know someone is going to suggest I pour my own concrete stand. Unfortunately, that's not an option for me at the moment.

I look forward to hearing your suggestions!

Lee

Tom Wilson66
02-28-2013, 8:48 PM
I would seriously doubt that concrete blocks, mortared together would stand up to the vibration of roughing an out of balance bowl. Even if the cores are filled with reinforced concrete. There is also the problem of connection with the steel portions of the stand, again the sleeve anchors probably wouldn't stand roughing out vibrations. Your best bet would be to talk to a local concrete expert about what would be required, possibly at a readymix plant that sells precast items.

Mike Cruz
02-28-2013, 10:01 PM
Lee, if you have access to a welder, and can weld, I say just make the whole thing out of steel. Use the square tubing to make your frame. Get 1/8" steel plate, and weld it in all around the the 4 sides and top. Weld the bed to the stand...but in such a way that you could take a plasma cutter to it to remove the bed if you ever wanted/needed to. Weld a riser (again, steel frame...either 1/4 inch steel plate or tube frame with 1/8" steel plate around it) together. BOLT the headstock to the riser (drill holes appropriately placed in the top of the riser and weld an accepting nut underneath the top of the riser). BOLT the riser to the stand (in the same fashion that you bolted the headstock to the riser).

Actually, you could bolt the bed to the riser (since there are already two bolts coming out of the bed). And bolt the entire (bed, riser, and headstock) "lathe" to the stand with the above fashion of drilling holes and welding a nut on the underside of the top. You would have to weld on some angle iron brackets all around the outsid of the bed and riser to bolt the lathe down to the stand. It would be nice to have those two be able to be separated (and all three other pieces, too!) in case you ever need to...for moving or repair.

Lee Alkureishi
03-02-2013, 4:58 PM
Ugh... typed a whole post, then lost it because the connection dropped...

Shorter version: Steel it is!

Mike, I like those ideas. Will put some risers under the bed too for chip cleaning / clearance.

I have a flux core welder, and an as-yet pristine looking welding station" - just haven't plucked up the courage to do more than test it. Getting there tho...

Lee