PDA

View Full Version : Table Lamp

John Shillabeer
02-28-2013, 2:21 PM
I've been lurking in the background on this site for a long time, admiring others' contributions and trying to learn something at the same time. This is the first time I've had the courage to post an example of my work and ask for comments.

The lamp is about 16.5 in tall and about 6.5 in max diameter. It's made from several pieces of 2x4 fence grade cedar lumber laminated together. The center hole for the electrical cord is formed from slots cut in adjacent faces of the two center 2x4s.
The finish is water based aniline dyes and then multiple coats of polyurethane wiped on. This was my first time using the airbrush (for the dyes). I was quite pleased with the effects of the various colors of the cedar and the knots showing through to add interest. What do you think?

BTW the lamp shade is borrowed and not part of the project.

It was really difficult to photograph. Never did succeed in building and illuminating a light tent big enough.

Comments and suggestions would be very much appreciated.

John

Noah Barfield
02-28-2013, 2:30 PM
Wow--that is lovely! The color and finish really stand out!

Noah

Roger Chandler
02-28-2013, 3:08 PM
very nice!

Rodney Hoyle
02-28-2013, 3:36 PM
John,

That is a great lamp. At first I thought it's a bowling pin until I read the text. I have turned a few in the last few months from bowling pins. I first turned a lamp for my mom back in 1958 and she loved it. I made a gift of one for the bowling alley where I occassionally can acquire a few pins. The photo is of the "thank you" lamp presented to the alley manager. The pin was stripped and refinished to look like the pins they use. I may try your method because drilling the through hole can be a little trickey.

Rodney255662255663255667

Allan Ferguson
02-28-2013, 7:07 PM
The colorization has great eye appeal.

Greg Bender
02-28-2013, 10:03 PM
John,
you nailed it. That is a great looking lamp and I agree leaving a dado down the center can be alot easier than trying to drill that long of a blank.
Greg

Joe Little
03-01-2013, 5:55 AM
That looks great, awesome color

Jay Jolliffe
03-01-2013, 6:04 AM
Nice lamp....Something else to put on the list to make or try to make....