PDA

View Full Version : It's a Good Day When....

Tim Bateson
02-28-2013, 11:25 AM
It's a good day when: Monday, a local institution (National Underground Railroad Freedom Center) calls in a panic. Seems they have a huge international award ceremony on Saturday & the original engraver (at the other end of the country) hasn't yet bothered to do the engraving work, nor let anyone know it hadn't been completed. Late last night I do a quick, but superb job for them & offer it at a discount (I can see a good relationship here). Today they are so impressed with the quick response, and quality of the engraving, they refuse my discount and offer double my charges. A very good day indeed!
All true and I'll post pictures as soon as the bronze statues get epoxied to the engraved bases.

Chuck Stone
02-28-2013, 11:27 AM
Cool.
VERY cool!

Jiten Patel
02-28-2013, 11:31 AM
Now if that happened every day - what an amazing life we would all have! Well done.

Martin Boekers
02-28-2013, 12:13 PM
Many folks can compete on price.....It's the service you provide that can make all the difference in the world!

Nice going Tim! I'm sure they will speak highly of you to others!

Tim Bateson
02-28-2013, 12:38 PM
I didn't mention that I nearly panicked myself. The base wouldn't fit in my laser. I removed the bed and placed paper on the bottom of the laser - to prevent scratching the base. I had a whole 1/16 inch clearance. Just enough to focus and laser. This was 11:30 pm last night.

Mike Chance in Iowa
02-28-2013, 1:13 PM
... and some people think being an engraver is boring. They have never felt the adrenaline rush we get when we press the Go button and hold our breath ... :) Hurrah for a job well done. Looking forward to seeing your pictures.

Terry Albrecht
02-28-2013, 1:13 PM
Now that is doing what you have to do to make a customer....Way to go!!!

Dee Gallo
02-28-2013, 2:10 PM
Good karma, Tim! You gave them what nobody else did - kind professionalism. Nice going!

Tim Bateson
02-28-2013, 10:42 PM
Although these don't do it justice, here are the pics. The flame is engrave and color filled with a gold flake acrylic paint.

walter hofmann
03-01-2013, 5:40 AM
very nice work!
I did similar stuff with real wood lay in its amazing what you can do
greetings
waltfl

Jeff Belany
03-01-2013, 10:19 AM
Tim,

Great job. I'm sure we all wish for customers like that.

I have to ask -- the pieces are beautiful -- is this something you had in stock or did the customer have them? It looks like a pretty special style piece. No matter what, you did a fine job and made the customer happy.

Jeff in northern Wisconsin

Tim Bateson
03-01-2013, 1:48 PM
Nope, the customer had them made. Simple bases, but beautifully finished.
I got a letter from their Board of Directors today. Happy doesn't describe their comments. I believe I have a new customer for their future activities? The "them/their" is a large company who manages the Freedom Center - the "them/their" have their hands in a large chunk of Cincinnati, Ohio.

Kathy Madan
03-01-2013, 7:49 PM
Beautiful work. It is a good day when a plan comes together.

Jesse Anderson
03-02-2013, 12:24 PM
I probably should of looked around prior to asking this question, but...... The gold in the flame ? Can u explain briefly the process that u do to put this on. Did u put masking tape over the area that would be engraved that when when u brush on the gold flake paint it was flawless ? Also what kind of gold paints do u consider a good option to use?