PDA

View Full Version : New Engraver - corelx5 vs. corel x6

Brian Watkins
02-28-2013, 11:03 AM
In about a month I will be getting my first laser engraver - an epilog mini 18 with rotary attachment. I'm very excited and am looking into my software options. I will be using my engraver in my business for a specific application. Probably 90% of my engravings will be the same logo on equipment that I manufacture. I will be doing some very simple logo design, etc...but my primary use is not the typical engraving set up. I will be using it as a tool for my business instead of the laser engraving being my primary business.

So my question - Corel seems to be the software of choice. I have looked into it and I can get x5 for much cheaper than the x6. With any software that I get I will be teaching myself and learning as I go. So is it worth the extra $$ to get the x6 or will I be just as well off with the x5?

Any help from corel/epilog users is greatly appreciate!

Dan Hintz
02-28-2013, 11:50 AM
Both are quite capable, especially when starting out... I use X5. Just make sure you don't purchase an academic or OEM version... they may be cheaper, but you'll be violating the TOS using it in a business (academic version) or purchasing it without the requisite hardware (OEM), and some versions (such as academic) do not have full functionality (such as the ability to run VB scripts, which a lot of plug-ins rely on).

Dillyn Benjamin
04-03-2013, 1:54 AM
We have had some trouble with Corel x5 on a 64 bit machine. From what I understand x6 is much better at handling 64 bit operating systems.

Dan Hintz
04-03-2013, 7:24 AM
What problems are you running into? I'm running X5 on Vista-64 without issue.

Mark Ross
04-03-2013, 8:49 AM
X6 SP1 is when the completely unacceptable TOS started, so we run 6 with no SP1 with no problems.

Martin Boekers
04-03-2013, 9:46 AM
X5 will be fine, esp with limited use. Even earlier version say 12 would be fine. If you get X5 you can upgrade later
if you like for under $200, that is if it is a commercial version.

Brian Watkins
04-03-2013, 12:29 PM
Thanks for the comments - I went ahead and got the x6. Working great so far and having some fun with my new Epilog laser!

Mike Null
04-03-2013, 2:33 PM
Brian

Congratulations! Be sure to post some of your handywork.