PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Ice Cream....

Roy Wall
05-05-2005, 11:14 PM
Mine's a local KC mix from the "belfonte family"---Chocolate / Peanut Butter:p
My wife loves Haag n Daz - Triple Chocolate & Dutch Chocolate Chocolate:rolleyes:

I could have a milk shake of those every day............:cool:

Kirk (KC) Constable
05-06-2005, 1:55 AM
My all-time favorite is Blue Bunny Colorado River Rapids, followed by Blue Bunny Peppermint...both 'seasonal' or 'feature' flavors that aren't available all the time. If I have one of those in the house, I'll eat it every day. I've not tried Haag n Daz, but I think Blue Bunny is far and away better than Blue Bell, Dreyer's and Breyer's. In fact, I think the Sam's Choice at WalMart is better than the 'big three' I mentioned.

I want my ice cream 'full fat', but the Bllue Bunny 'no sugar added' and their other lowfat and yogurt varieties are edible, too.

KC

Tim Morton
05-06-2005, 7:04 AM
I think if I could only eay one flavor for the rest of my life, it would have to be Ben&Jerry's Wavy Gravy:D

John Hart
05-06-2005, 7:06 AM
Hagen Das Coffee....smooth, rich, perfect.

Erin Stringer
05-06-2005, 7:10 AM
Finally a subject I can respond to with confidence!

For local choices there is only one. Graeter's Chocolate chip or Cheesecake is by far the best. Their chocolate chips are amazing, they actually pour liquid chocolate into the cream as it is freezing so the "chips" are totally random in the way that they harden and disperse, it can make for some large chunks. The company was started in Cincinatti a long time back and has made it up here over the years, aren't we lucky...

As for national brands; Ben & Jerry's Chunky Monkey is a winner but the best flavor that I have found in a freezer case is found at Trader Joe's, the brand is called "Double Rainbow." my preference is actually Vanilla, not terribly exciting until you take your first bite. Once you begin to feel the creamy texture and taste the complexity of this "vanilla" it makes all others seem like something that shouldn't even be called ice cream. If plain vanilla isn't your speed it can always be dressed up with some crushed Trader Joes Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies (this is a particular favorite that I have enjoyed more than once this week).

Then we get into the custard side of frozen treats. There are 3 different Ritters Frozen Custard locations here in town and I have spent too much time at each one of them. Custard is different from ice cream because it uses a small amount of eggs in the receipe, this gives it a VERY smooth and rich flavor. My personal favorite is once again the chocolate chip but I have been known to enjoy a number of different varities.

I'm with you Kirk, full fat, full calorie is the only way to go.

Tom Mullane
05-06-2005, 7:18 AM
Got to go with a good pistacio nut for my first choice...
On the occassions I used to go to VT to visit my sister in the fall we would visit the Ben & Jerry's Factory and have their Apple Pie Ice Cream, it is only made when the apples are being picked.. a seasonal ice cream.. absolutely heaven...

Kirk (KC) Constable
05-06-2005, 7:37 AM
Custard is different from ice cream because it uses a small amount of eggs in the receipe, this gives it a VERY smooth and rich flavor.

For me, that's the difference between Blue Bunny and the other three I named...it's just smoother. And it doesn't get full of ice crystals in the freezer on the rare occasions it's in there a week or so.

I have to go stop at WalMart on my way home...I think I'm gonna get some Ben & Jerry's AND Haag n Daz and check 'em out. I'll put the diet on hold this afternoon. :D

KC

Doug Shepard
05-06-2005, 7:49 AM
Breyer's Butter Pecan (No-Sugar Added). The dog and cats like it too!

Mark Singer
05-06-2005, 8:47 AM
Fosselmans....is very good lots of unusual flavors....I think they still make Shlamaca....from the Shlamaca berry

Then there is Ben and Jerrys...Cherry Garcia....New Yourk Chocolate Chunk
http://www.fosselmans.com/Pages/images/OldCars.jpg
Shlamaca Trees in the backround

http://www.fosselmans.com/Pages/images/OldEmployees.jpg

Jim Becker
05-06-2005, 9:02 AM
Friendly's FORBIDDEN CHOCOLATE. There IS no other flavor... :D :D :D

Mark Singer
05-06-2005, 9:12 AM
Friendly's FORBIDDEN CHOCOLATE. There IS no other flavor... :D :D :D

http://www.friendlys.com/about/images/1935a.jpgJim, Its frendlier with the photo:o

Jeff Sudmeier
05-06-2005, 9:34 AM
Either Moose tracks by Shoeps or Ben and Jerry's cookie dough... :)

Donnie Raines
05-06-2005, 9:42 AM
I love Cookies N' Cream...with real Oreo cookies.... :cool:

Scott Coffelt
05-06-2005, 9:59 AM
I like so many, but in the end I think a nice vanilla is good. I really like softserve from DQ. :}

Of course there's always B&J's Kitchen Sink, Cookie Dough, .....

Keith July
05-06-2005, 10:28 AM
Ahh so many choices and such a little bowl.
The "Orange Pushup" from the guy pushing the cart with bells a ringing.
Maybe not my favorite flavor but surely a fun time...so long ago.:)
Keith

Peter Gavin
05-06-2005, 10:37 AM
but the Very Best ice cream in the world is made on the University of Wisconsin (America's Dairyland) Madison campus and is only available for purchase there. Bascom Hill ice cream puts all the rest to shame.

Jim Becker
05-06-2005, 10:44 AM
but the Very Best ice cream in the world is made on the University of Wisconsin (America's Dairyland) Madison campus and is only available for purchase there. Bascom Hill ice cream puts all the rest to shame.

You need to visit "The Creamery" at Penn State University...ice cream manufactuers from the world over travel there. (A man who was an exchange student with my family many, many years ago runs an $85M premium ice cream operation in Sweden also indicated the same)

But then again...I have a suspicion that any of the major institution's creameries have incredible ice cream and there is no way I'd turn down a "sample" from any of them... ;)

Peter Gavin
05-06-2005, 10:53 AM
Actually, one of the food magazines (Bon Appetite?) tested and ranked all the premium ice creams. At the end of the article it noted that the best ice cream in the world was actually Bascom Hill, but they had disqualified it because it was only available on the UW campus.

Jerry Olexa
05-06-2005, 1:31 PM
I'm a plain VANILLA kinda guy. No comments :D I do love vanilla everything...

Bill Lewis
05-06-2005, 2:03 PM
You need to visit "The Creamery" at Penn State University...

My wife went to Penn State, and she still talks about that.

My favorites.
Turkey Hill, Philadelphia Style chocolate
Bryers, chocolate
Edy's Grand, Chocolate
B & J super smooth Chocolate (not made anymore)

Starting to get the picture?

Michael Perata
05-06-2005, 3:30 PM
Cherry Garcia, even if you have to look through 50 cartons to find it!!!

Scott Loven
05-06-2005, 4:51 PM
Have you tried anything from cold stone creamery? (http://www.coldstonecreamery.com/secondary/history1.asp)
Had some last weekend in Madison and thought they were fantastic!
Scott

Jim O'Dell
05-06-2005, 5:08 PM
One of my favorite commercial flavors was Ashburn's Strawberry Cheesecake. Don't even know if they are still in business. Now locally for the odd time I get ice cream out, it has to be the Marble Slab Creamery. Then it's just deciding what to add to the flavor that sounds best at that moment! Jim

Zahid Naqvi
05-06-2005, 5:27 PM
Death by chocolate (chocolate ice cream + chocolate chips + chocolate syrup) my wife's favourite.
Mine just needs to meet three requirements: cold, lots' of it, and nothing to do with peanut butter, what can I say I just love ice cream :cool: :p

Norman Hitt
05-06-2005, 5:39 PM
Before the Diabetes thing, I have always enjoyed several different flavors & brands of ice Cream, including vanilla, Butter Pecan, Pralines & Cream, and Blue Bell's Banana Pudding, but my absolute two all time favorites is Home made fresh Peach and from a little independant ice cream stand (that made their own ice cream) on the Spanish Island of Grande Canaria, Tutti Frutti that was out of this world. Every "Crew Rest" scheduled there was always Celebrated by our whole Crew with a trip to that little Ice Cream stand on the street in one of the Squares.

John Hart
05-06-2005, 5:56 PM
Death by chocolate (chocolate ice cream + chocolate chips + chocolate syrup) my wife's favourite.
Mine just needs to meet three requirements: cold, lots' of it, and nothing to do with peanut butter, what can I say I just love ice cream :cool: :p

You just gave me an idea...Death by Chocolate except use Coffee ice cream instead. I might try that tonight!:rolleyes:

Robert E Lee
05-06-2005, 6:32 PM
wife makes marchino cherry ice cream with lots of chopped cherries and a little of the juice, none better.......
Bob

Jason Roehl
05-06-2005, 8:39 PM
I love Cookies N' Cream...with real Oreo cookies.... :cool:

Ohhhh, man, Donnie, you're talking dirty now...

I also realliy like Breyer's mint-chocolate chip. That, and homemade ice cream, especially homemade custard.

Do it the old way, I say.

John Shuk
05-06-2005, 8:58 PM
My favorite is Denali Moose tracks made by Moody's. I can only get it when visiting relatives in Michigan. It is the best Moose tracks I have found. MMMM.

John Hart
05-06-2005, 9:53 PM
I couldn't stand it anymore so I went to the store for my Haagen Dazs Coffee Ice Cream. Got some chocolate chips and dowsed it with chocolate syrup.

(Oh..and a fake Shlamaca leaf garnish for good taste)

Dan Mages
05-06-2005, 11:07 PM
My three favorites are Ben & Jerry's Berry Berry Extrordinary Sorbet, Cherry Garcia Frozen Yogart, and Trader Joe's Tiramisu Gelato.

Now you are making me hungry!

Dan

Roy Wall
05-06-2005, 11:20 PM
I couldn't stand it anymore so I went to the store for my Haagen Dazs Coffee Ice Cream. Got some chocolate chips and dowsed it with chocolate syrup.

Now there's a guy with some follow through!!!!:cool:

No doubt we have some SERIOUS ice cream connisoure's (sp) here at SMC:p

I think I actually have about 5-10 favorites.......:D

Mark Singer
05-07-2005, 8:57 AM
That is an object of beauty! I am with you all the way...I may have to have ice cream for breakfast! What a great presentation...the Ice cream, suryp and the Shlamaca cutting..."move over Wolfgang"...this is a great lesson...one day you can't find Shlamaca and the next day your having it with ice cream.! If you put your mind to it you can do anything....it would have made a great Shlamaca mohito margarita for Cinco de Mayo....there is always next year!Enjoy!!!;)

Martin Shupe
05-08-2005, 3:01 AM
Being from Texas, Blue Bell Rocky Road is my favorite, followed by Blue Bell Cookies and Cream, and when I can find it, Blue Bell Stawberry Banana.

If I eat ice cream out, I like Marble Slab the best.

Jim Young
05-08-2005, 9:44 PM
Graeter's Chocolate chip or Cheesecake is by far the best.

Only one person answered the question correctly. :) I prefer their Double chocolate chip flavor. Every time I go down to Louisville I have to stop at the Graeter's for a pint.

Frank Pellow
05-08-2005, 9:53 PM
Laura Secord Chocolate. :) :D

And, you can only get it in Canada :p

Ernie Hobbs
05-08-2005, 10:12 PM
I'm easy- Breyer's Strawberry. My wife's is Blue Bell Homemade Vanilla.

Don Henthorn Smithville, TX
05-08-2005, 10:23 PM
Nothing beats the hand cranked vanilla ice cream we made when I was a kid. Family gatherings always included several feeezers going and they always emptied by the end of the day. The extended family met for a going away dinner the night before I left for overseas in WWII. This was in January in northern Indiana. About midnight we decided finish the dinner off with home made ice cream. While the women folks got the ingredients together a few of the men folks got gunny sacks and hammers and axes and headed for the frozen St Joseph river where we filled the bags with river ice. That was no mean feat with the ice as thick as it was. I remembetred that ice cream many times during the war and really felt blessed to be one of the lucky ones to return home in good shape to enjoy many more ice cream parties with family.

Roy Wall
05-08-2005, 11:38 PM
Nothing beats the hand cranked vanilla ice cream we made when I was a kid. Family gatherings always included several feeezers going and they always emptied by the end of the day. The extended family met for a going away dinner the night before I left for overseas in WWII. This was in January in northern Indiana. About midnight we decided finish the dinner off with home made ice cream. While the women folks got the ingredients together a few of the men folks got gunny sacks and hammers and axes and headed for the frozen St Joseph river where we filled the bags with river ice. That was no mean feat with the ice as thick as it was. I remembetred that ice cream many times during the war and really felt blessed to be one of the lucky ones to return home in good shape to enjoy many more ice cream parties with family.

don,

My father-in-law won't eat any ice cream since his days as a kid growing up in the 40's........says the same thing - best ice cream is his mom's recipe and he turned the crank!!!

Amen on the last part.................

John Miliunas
05-09-2005, 8:17 AM
Ah, this one's a no-brainer here in Dairyland. Babcock Hall Ice Cream, made right here on the UW Madison campus! I've yet to have a flavor there I don't like, though the Orange Custard Chocolate Chip is heavenly!:D :cool:

Andy Hoyt
05-06-2006, 11:20 AM
Where has this thread been all my life!

I have two favorites actually.

First - homemade handcranked Kahlua and Baileys. Heavy on the Kahlua

Second - everything else.

Public Service Announcement: Ice Cream is health food. Mental health food.

tod evans
05-06-2006, 11:47 AM
anything without chocolate, favorite is homemade vanilla with raspberries.

Bob Weisner
05-06-2006, 12:00 PM
Perry's ice cream, Breyer's ice cream and Stony Field Farm's Chocolate Raspberry swirl.:cool:

Art Mulder
05-06-2006, 12:15 PM
I have never bought a tub of Ben+Jerry's, nor a tub of Haggen-Daaz. I just can't stomach the price when I'm in the grocery store.

The local store does carry Breyer's, as well as Stoney Creek (local SW Ont brand I think), which are both pretty decent.

But yeah, like the fellow further up the thread, I even enjoy a soft serve from Dairy Queen - chocolate dip cone, if you please.

One thing I haven't noticed mentioned yet is Mint Chocolate Chip -- this is a dangerous flavour to like. The reason for that is some brands just do NOT get the mint balance right. It is either overwhelming, or far too much like a medicine/heavy-chemical taste. But when it is done right, the nice perky mint goes so well with the chocolate + vanilla that makes up the balance of the bowl.

I'm actually getting a bit tired of heavenly-hash and rocky road. Pralines+Creme is yummy, as is a carmel-chocolate variety we've found lately.

I guess what I'm saying is, there's far too much good ice cream out there in the world to pick just ONE favourite flavour. Why limit yourself!?

:p

Ian Barley
05-06-2006, 12:55 PM
I really like Chunky Monkey but when I checked the ingredients list there is no monkey in it at all - so I refuse to continue to support this blatant misrepresentation.

Best flavour is actually Loseley House Honeydew Melon and Stem Ginger. You should all get on a plane and come over and try it.

Oh - and my wife's mint choc chip.

Oh - and Rum and Raisin

Oh - I nearly forgotTutti Frutti

But then good vanilla is good

- Think I need to pop out for some ice cream.

Joe Pelonio
05-06-2006, 2:38 PM
Double Rainbow Pumpkin. Close second is Oreon Blackberry from Baskin Robbins. The best milkshake is BR Peppermint Fudge Ribbon. I used to like one called Irish Coffee at a place called Duffy's in San Leandro, CA but I think they went out of business.

And the worst (don't even think about trying it, if it's still made) is the cinnamon roll from Safeway.

Karl Laustrup
05-06-2006, 4:29 PM
anything without chocolate, favorite is homemade vanilla with raspberries.

Tod, that vanilla with raspberries sounds delish. If I ever get down your way, I'll help you crank. :D

Karl

Michael Stafford
05-06-2006, 4:55 PM
I like the ice cream that fits in my mouth and so far I have not found any that would not....

A personal favorite is a high butterfat vanilla that has not been overcooked drenched with an amaretto di saronno or amaretto di amore....

Mighty fine, mighty fine indeed.;)

Mark Pruitt
05-09-2006, 9:52 PM
I'm still in Atlanta at a chaplains' conference.......Today I discovered a "Death by Chocolate" ice cream.....had 'em make a hot fudge sundae with it.....I'm about 5 pounds heavier but MAN THAT STUFF IS GOOOOOD......:eek: :D :D :)

My other all-time fav is Ben and Jerry's "Everything but the..." which is so good it's probably not even legal. Don't tell anyone....:D

Bruce Shiverdecker
05-10-2006, 1:48 AM
I LOVE ALL ICE CREAM, but for Apple pie ALA Mode, there is only one way to have it.

Heat a piece of "Dutch" Apple pie in a Convection Oven / Toaster Oven (NO Microwave for me here.....UGGGGGGGHHH!) Then add a GENERous amount of Cinnimon Ice Cream.........................Pure JOY!!!!!!!!!!!

Bruce

Vaughn McMillan
05-10-2006, 4:03 AM
I'm not much of an ice cream expert, and and I buy plain old vanilla about half the time (and add my own fixings), but pralines n' cream and other similar blends are also a favorite. I usually just buy Dreyer's or Breyer's at the supermarket.

Any time I'm in Santa Fe, though, it's Baskin-Robbins for me. My uncle has owned and operated the Santa Fe B-R store since the 60's, so if he or one of my many cousins are behind the counter, I can get the "family price". ;)

- Vaughn

John Shuk
05-10-2006, 3:58 PM
Denali moose tracks made by Mooney's. I've only had it in Northern Michigan.

Roger Bell
05-10-2006, 7:39 PM
Plain vanilla or vanilla with vanilla bean specks. Dreyers is a good brand out here. I also like about a teaspoon of something like Grand Marnier dribbled over the top of a big wooden bowlful. It makes the ice cream "colder" yet without adding un-wanted flavoring. If I want additives, I prefer fresh picked berries.

And I like my furniture handmade from wood and well finished.... and my women plain and smart.....also without additives. :cool: Does that about cover it?

Corey Hallagan
05-11-2006, 9:21 PM
GoodRich, Strawberry Cheese Cake, nothin finer!

Corey

Ed Frie
05-12-2006, 7:59 AM
First- hand cranked vanilla,
second- anything made by Schwann's; delicious, creamy and delivered right to your door by a friendly driver.
Third- UW Madison Babcock Hall anything

Rob Russell
05-12-2006, 8:09 AM
There's a place in the next town over called Shady Glen. Here's a link to a review with pictures (http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Writeup.aspx?ReviewID=14&RefID=14), although the thing that's shown in the review is their unbelievable cheeseburger. Shady Glen makes their own ice cream and has seasonal flavors. Right now it's an Easter special which is sort of like a pink coconut/marshmellow ambrosia, summer means peach and blueberry, fall means apple, pumpkin, licorice for Halloween, eggnog and Christmas special for Nov/Dec.

Eating there is like a time trip back to the 50's. The waitresses wear uniforms that look like the styles haven't changed. You can just see a glimpse of the uniform on the grill gal putting cheese on the burgers. Some of those folks have been working at Shady Glen for 30 or 40 years.

Great place and worth stopping at if you're ever in the Manchester, CT area.

Chip Olson
05-12-2006, 5:19 PM
There's an annual weekend camping party that my local crowd of geeks and weirdos puts on every year (not happening this year, sadly), where the main event is making ridiculous amounts of ice cream with liquid nitrogen. (Mix the LN2 slowly into the mix until it gets solid, then freeze for several hours. Much faster than hand-cranking.) Some people get... creative with flavors, one fellow made Chicken Liver ice cream last year. A perennial favorite is Coconut Lime Habanero. Peanut Butter Malted Milk Ball was one I particularly liked.

Toscaninis, one of the local ice cream parlours, has a Gingersnap Molasses flavor I'm quite fond of. They also have Guinness ice cream.

Chris Moore
05-14-2006, 9:29 PM
I developed a serious lactose intolerance at about age 9, so I haven't really had ice cream since then... until recently. I bought a countertop ice cream freezer and now can whip up my own using Lactaid and lactose converted cream.

My personal favorite flavor is Black Walnut. It's available commercially in some parts of the country, especially the deep south. If you get a chance to try this flavor, be warned that you are embarking on an addiction that rivals crack... ;)

Alain Tellier
05-15-2006, 9:29 AM
Chocolate chunk and cookie dough from Ben & Jerry's.

Mmmmmm..... :cool: