PDA

View Full Version : Turned burial urn

Brad McCollum
02-27-2013, 5:08 PM
Do any of you turn burial urns? I have been asked to turn one for an infant but do not know how big to make it. Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.

John Keeton
02-27-2013, 5:12 PM
The capacity is determined as 1 cu. inch of volume for each pound of body weight. For an infant, it would not need to be very large. A cup of dried rice is approximately 14 cu. inches, and depending on the age of the infant, that should be close.

Sorry to hear of this situation - burying a child is just not the way one expects life to be. I pray the family will recover.

Brad, there are several on my website if you want some ideas - just a thought.

Brad McCollum
02-28-2013, 11:21 PM
Mr. Keeton, Thank you for your information. Your estimation of about a cup of volume was right on the mark. My only other question is about how large to make the opening?
Again, thank you for your assistance.

Dale Gillaspy
03-01-2013, 12:48 AM
The opening does not have to be very large. The remains will come sealed in a plastic bag that will fit through a small opening. Make it aesthetically pleasing, the rest will come on its own.

John Keeton
03-01-2013, 6:40 AM
Brad, an option for the opening is to use ABS threads. Using this (http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/MUELLER-INDUSTRIES-Fitting-Cleanout-Adapter-3JWD4?Pid=search), one can install the female threads in the urn, and part off the male threads to install on a stub tenon on the lid. Most of my urns use this application.

Bernie Weishapl
03-01-2013, 9:42 AM
I have did several urns and Johns info is spot on. I also use the method for threads as he does. Works really well.

Brad McCollum
03-03-2013, 9:10 AM
Thank you so much for your help and information. I knew I could count on the creek. I'll post some pics when I have the urn done.