PDA

View Full Version : Anyone see the winning jig in the Highland Hardware contest?

linke combs
02-27-2013, 4:02 PM
Highland Hardware recently held a jig contest. The winners were announced today and the 1st place winner was apparently the only entrant related to working with hand tools. It is a pretty slick sliding deadman that uses two toggle clamps...one to clamp the free end of the board and the second to force the jig against the underside of the workbench. The jig actually uses the bench's dog holes, only from the bottom side and not the top.

I am still building my bench and had not decided what to do yet as far as a sliding deadman...especially since I am building a Holtzappfel-ish one. This jig appears to be a very viable option for me.

lcombs

Mark Dorman
02-27-2013, 8:32 PM
Is kind of interesting. I thought about doing a free standing one. Then went with a sliding deadman instead.

jason thigpen
02-27-2013, 9:01 PM
I actually saved the pics from that today! Looks like a great option for a removable sliding deadman. I will definitely be making one similar to it in the future.

Jim Koepke
02-28-2013, 11:41 AM
Here is a link to the winner:

http://blog.woodworkingtooltips.com/2013/02/jig-contest-winners-revealed/

jtk

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
02-28-2013, 11:52 AM
Neat! Seems like a really nice way to quickly incorporate a sliding deadman's functionality if you've already got a bench with an overhang.

Charles Wiggins
02-28-2013, 2:14 PM
I have thought about doing the T-track and clamp thing on a traditional sliding deadman... if I ever get around to building a bench.