PDA

View Full Version : New Workshop Forges Ahead

Glenn Kotnik
02-27-2013, 1:13 PM
The building contractor finished his part of the job at the end of November and I took over the beautiful shell of my workshop. Since it was winter, heat was the first concern and I had a propane tank installed outside and put a Mr. Heater 75,000 BTU unit on the ceiling. After the power company energized my meter and load center, the outlet to Mr. Heater was the first to be installed. Finally I could work in a warm enviornment with temporary light strings.

Ceiling light was the next priority. I used the formula from this forum to calculate the fluorescent tubage needed to give me a little over 100 foot-candles at workbench height. For the main floor this came out to 64 T-8 bulbs. I used the 8' 4-bulb fixtures because they seemed most economical. I don't like cold blue light so I used a combination of 3600K and 4100K bulbs. These are available at Lowe's in bulk for about a buck and a quarter each. Althougt their CR index is low, I am extermely pleased with the quality of the light. It looks very much like daylight to me, although in this part of the country, daylight is a little dingy anyway.

I needed to put up ceiling board before the lights. I did some experimenting with various paints and boards and found a combination that's hard to beat for the money. I started with 1/2" OSB that had one fairly smooth good quality surface. This is about 10 bucks delivered for 4x8 sheets. I needed 120 sheets. I applied a heavy coat of a high quality oil based primer and when it was good and dry applied a heavy coat of a high quality latex wall paint with a warmish tint. This gives a smooth but nicely textured surface which reminds me of adobe stucco. I spacled the joints and sanded some of them. The board is much sturdier than drywall and much cheaper than plywood veneer paneling. I found that not all OSB has a smooth enough surface to use for this. Since I was working alone I bought a drywall lift which I used for 2 months then sold on Craig's List in 4 hours.

The T-8 fixtures were mounted directly to the board on the ceiling with the wires coming through a hole in the ceiling board directly into a knock-out in the fixture, so that there was no exposed wire. After the lights were working I put in recepticles, lots of them. I figure you can never have too many outlets. Between upper and lower levels, I installed 24 120v outlets and 9 240v. This includes 120/240v floor outlets which we had run conduit for in the slab. I still can't believe I used 1200 feet of wire! I'm sure there must be some software which would give me the most efficient way to run wire for lights and recepticles.

With the ceiling lights all working, insulation was the next step, R13 fiberglass for 2x4 studs and R30 for the 2x8s upstairs. Since the whole building is wraped in Hardi Wrap I did not need more vapor barrier and drafts were nonexistant. After the insulation, I put primered OSB on the walls, spackled the joints and then put on the wall paint. The ceiling board got 2 coats of white primer and the wallboard one coat of primer and one of tinted wall paint. I'm extermely pleased with the smooth stone-like texture of the walls, even the building inspector commented about how nice it looks.

After the walls were done, I needed floor coating. I really wanted wood on the floors but that would have cost me $3-4 per SF, and with about 1500 SF that looked too expensive considering what I had already spent on the shop. The upper level had 3/4" T&G OSB on the floor and I found a 2-part epoxy coating that could be used on wood substrate. It turned out well but the floor boards really suck up the epoxy. I used epoxy on the slab as well. It was easy to prep since it had never been coated or sealed. I used our carpet scrubber to apply and rinse the etching solution. The light tan epoxy with light flakes and anti-slip material looks good and really brightens things up, not that it was dark with 100foot-candles. With the money I saved by using epoxy, I can buy a lot of heavy wool socks. The slab is well insulated and maintains about the same temperature as the air inside.

With some help from my daughter's boyfriend we were able to move the cyclone from its old perch in the garage to its new home in the shop. I also moved the metal ducts to the new place and ran a 6" branch through the ceiling to the area behind the knee wall upatairs. That allowed me to run the upstairs ducts out of sight behind the knee walls and have 4" ports come out through the wall board.

Next step- moving day.

Mike Svoma
02-27-2013, 1:22 PM
Your shop looks great. Any pics of the project from dirt to contractor completion?

John Donofrio
02-27-2013, 1:29 PM
Sweet! Going to be a nice place to work for sure.

Steve Milito
02-27-2013, 1:52 PM
Nice shop. How long did it take from site work to get the shell up?

Warren Johnson
02-27-2013, 2:37 PM
Glenn
Looking good. Can't wit to see it loaded with tools.

Marty Gulseth
02-27-2013, 3:01 PM
I seem to recall that the "Good Book" has some strong words about provoking your (internet) neighbor to coveteousness.

Aside from that little detail - mighty fine work in progress! I'm sure you will enjoy it.

Regards, Marty

Glenn Kotnik
02-27-2013, 4:03 PM
Yes, there were early photos on my 2 previous posts about the shop. Ground was broken the beginning of October 2012 and the builders job was done by the beginning of December. Great builder! It helps that the builder Ryan is my neighbor, friend and fellow woodworker. I get the impression that he built it for about his cost. The building inspectors commented several times to me what a high quality building I have. I have offered Ryan unlimited access to whatever tools and machines he may need for his own woodworking.

Jim Andrew
02-27-2013, 8:26 PM
Can you explain about the bulbs? I was at our local Lowes about a week ago, and there were no T-8 bulbs anywhere near 1.25 each.

Glenn Kotnik
02-27-2013, 8:38 PM
Not all Lowes may have them, but they have cardboard boxes of 30 T-8 bulbs in each box. I believe you have to buy at least 4 boxes, 120 bulbs, and get the contractor price which I think was under $200 when I bought mine. This may have come out closer to 1.50 but is still a great deal. All the bulbs started and performed excellent with the exception of the one I dropped on the floor. I have found that sometimes I need to shop diferent Lowes stores for bulk discounts. For instance when I bought insulation, some stores offered bulk rates and some didn't. We have a lot of their stores around here. Some of them don't have any of the 30 bulb boxes at all. The ones that have them keep them in a different isle from the fixtures.

Cameron Handyside
02-28-2013, 7:41 AM
Glenn,
Great looking shop and looks like a lot of planning went into it. What are your plans for the upstairs? Looks like it will be a very usable accessible space. I ended up with a nice attic that my builder framed up with real floor joists and 3/4 t&g OSB. But I just didn't have the room for stairs.
Thanks for posting.
cam

Joseph Tarantino
02-28-2013, 1:38 PM
great looking shop. serious envy here. BTW, how'd you get the cyclone mounted to the wall that way? :eek:

Jim Andrew
02-28-2013, 1:52 PM
That is going to be a very nice shop. One concern, hope you put a couple 2x4's under the stairs before you drag anything heavy up there. I can only see open stringers.

Glenn Kotnik
02-28-2013, 7:53 PM
Thanks for your compliments and encouraging words everyone. There's a lot to be done yet but completion is in sight. The only construction left to be done is the window casing and trim, as well as trim along all of the walls. I recently went out to the woods to see "Wood Miser Dan" and came home with 360 BF of lumber for trim. About half is walnut and the rest sasafrass. Averaged out to $1.55/BF. I should be able to get a lot of usable trim pieces out of it. I plan to use walnut for baseboard and wall trim, and the lighter sasafrass for window and door casing and trim.

The upper level as you said Cameron, has a lot of usable space, about 500SF. My plan is to put lighter equipment up there, things that take a lot of space but are not all that heavy. For instance I have already moved my vacuum veneering table and equipment up there. I think it's also a good place for the lathe, it doesn't weigh a ton but with associated tooling and such takes lots of room. It's also a good place for my scroll saw and probably the mortiser. Not that the floor won't support considerable weight, the joists are 16" TGI on 16" centers. My neighbor, builder and fellow woodworker Ryan really knows how to over-design a shop. The stairs are 44" wide and are supported on 3 stringers. Each stringer is a double 2x12. Along the sides, behind the enclosed area, is 2x4 support framing, 16" OC. So the stringers should have plenty of support and the stairs feel solid as a rock..

Stew Hagerty
02-28-2013, 10:49 PM
OK I just have to say... It's not nice to flaunt your shop like this. Especially at a fellow Hoosier!

Seriously. It looks like a wonderful space, and I will happily let the "flaunting" slide if I get an invite when it's all done... :D

Glenn Kotnik
03-01-2013, 9:47 AM
You're welcome to come down any time, Stew. You may find some nice lumber while you're down here in Wood Miser country.
As far as mounting the cyclone, the sideways mount is the big thing thse days, they say you move a lot more air that way. Actually I did rotate the image to upright but it wouldn't upload that way so I just left it.