PDA

View Full Version : Why we walk to work

Phil Thien
02-27-2013, 12:08 PM
People always wonder why I and Roy Rogers (my beagador) walk to work, even on snow days where everyone else is staying home.

I always wonder why people would stay inside and miss sights like the path we take to work. Or stopping at the dog park on the way to work and playing in 8" of fresh snow.

Art Mulder
02-27-2013, 12:58 PM
How far, Phil? I bike year round -- wet snow this morning. But I only go about 3.5-4 km, so it's not far.

Phil Thien
02-27-2013, 1:11 PM
How far, Phil? I bike year round -- wet snow this morning. But I only go about 3.5-4 km, so it's not far.

We're on the path a 1/4 mile. From home, via the path, to the dog park, and then to work, is about a mile, maybe a bit more.

David Helm
02-27-2013, 3:07 PM
What is all that weird white stuff? Here in the Northwest (latitude 48*30' North) the sun is shining, daffodils are blooming, buds are swelling and Spring is right here.

Chris Padilla
02-27-2013, 3:17 PM
Beautiful!!! I also bike commute year round but here in the BA but that is not a big deal. I have a 28 mile round trip 5 days/week.

Joe Angrisani
02-27-2013, 3:25 PM
What is all that weird white stuff? Here in the Northwest (latitude 48*30' North) the sun is shining, daffodils are blooming, buds are swelling and Spring is right here.

I was going to bust your chops with some joke about Puget Sound weather, but since you're having one of your 12 days without rain this year, I figure I'd just let you enjoy it.

:cool:

Kevin Bourque
02-27-2013, 4:23 PM
Who's walking who?

Phil Thien
02-27-2013, 6:09 PM
Who's walking who?

If I was smart, I would have put a harness on him, and skis on me, and let him pull me to the dog park.

David G Baker
02-27-2013, 6:17 PM
I spent a lot of time walking in the snow when I was a kid on the farm in lower Michigan and loved it. I don't spend much time walking in the snow except when I walk down to the mailbox or behind my snowblower when I clear my 300 foot driveway. I try to avoid the snowblower and use my back blade on my John Deere. Not as neat but much less effort. I have had to clear my driveway around 6 times so far this Winter and it is still February. I did love the things I saw when I was a kid.

ray hampton
02-27-2013, 6:52 PM
If I was smart, I would have put a harness on him, and skis on me, and let him pull me to the dog park.

how will the harness be attach to the skis , will you stand up or sit down ?

David Helm
02-27-2013, 7:05 PM
how will the harness be attach to the skis , will you stand up or sit down ?

There is a process called ski-joring where a dog pulls a skier. You don't attach the harness to the skis, you attach it to the dog and hold the reins. You want to be able to fall without being dragged, or breaking bones.

ray hampton
02-27-2013, 7:20 PM
There is a process called ski-joring where a dog pulls a skier. You don't attach the harness to the skis, you attach it to the dog and hold the reins. You want to be able to fall without being dragged, or breaking bones.

this setup are similar to water-skiing , standing -up will increase the wind resister if you are facing a head wind, sitting down or lying down would be best for the dog [ I think ]

Lee Schierer
02-27-2013, 8:37 PM
I love it when the snow is on the trees like that. I can't wait to get out walking in the woods again.