PDA

View Full Version : English Walnut Step Side Bowl

Faust M. Ruggiero
02-27-2013, 11:49 AM
I keep looking for things to make a bowl a bit more unique. Don't we all ?? This is an English Walnut bowl with stepped sides measuring 14" across. I turned this rough out a couple years ago and it was nice and dry and very stable. English walnut appears kind of bland and light colored until you oil it. Unfortunately, like all walnuts it is very open grained and absorbs oil like crazy. Then it keeps draining it for days so you need to keep wiping. The inside and outside are finished with two different oils. The inside with an eco friendly and all natural flax seed oil derivative and contains no driers so it is not polymerized and just won't harden. However, it is easily renewable. The oil was OK for walnut but it's yellowish color would make it unacceptable for light woods. The outside is finished with Livos brand oil, also an all natural produce derived from linseed oil that does harden and takes a fair buff. It is my favorite bowl finish but has become almost impossible to find in the US and the cost of shipping it from Australia makes buying it from there prohibitive.
Your comments are always welcome. Thanks for looking.
faust255562255563255564

Thom Sturgill
02-27-2013, 11:51 AM
Nice looking and should feel nice to the hands, and that is important IMHO.

ron david
02-27-2013, 12:17 PM
I keep looking for things to make a bowl a bit more unique. Don't we all ?? This is an English Walnut bowl with stepped sides measuring 14" across. I turned this rough out a couple years ago and it was nice and dry and very stable. English walnut appears kind of bland and light colored until you oil it. Unfortunately, like all walnuts it is very open grained and absorbs oil like crazy. Then it keeps draining it for days so you need to keep wiping. The inside and outside are finished with two different oils. The inside with an eco friendly and all natural flax seed oil derivative and contains no driers so it is not polymerized and just won't harden. However, it is easily renewable. The oil was OK for walnut but it's yellowish color would make it unacceptable for light woods. The outside is finished with Livos brand oil, also an all natural produce derived from linseed oil that does harden and takes a fair buff. It is my favorite bowl finish but has become almost impossible to find in the US and the cost of shipping it from Australia makes buying it from there prohibitive.
Your comments are always welcome. Thanks for looking.
faust255562255563255564

it is not uniqueness that make a vessel but just good form. I know that you want it to stand out from everyone else's, but that doesn't really necessitate good form' that nice subtle vessel is always the most pleasing to the eye. you seem to have good roundness to your bowl. those lines that you have put in there and that foot draw attention away from the object itself. Look at the bottoms of bowls from the tea ceremony for eg. they were never designed to fit in a chuck. just do a practise piece the same form out of anything but without the lines a see if the lines really add any thing to it.
if you are happy with what you have that is fine, I am just offering another way to look at it
didn't see the concave sections until I expanded the photo after writing. just looked like grooves cut around the bowl in the t/nails
ron
"simple is hard, elaborate is easy"
c.f.a. voysey

Roger Chandler
02-27-2013, 2:30 PM
That's a real dandy, Faust.......good form and the stepped sides make it different from usual in a good way......nice work!

Nathan Clark
02-27-2013, 4:41 PM
Remove the foot on the bottom and you have a beautiful piece.

Roger Chandler
02-27-2013, 5:05 PM
I like the foot......it adds lift and gives it a finished look.........I vote to keep it Faust!

Timothy Mann
02-27-2013, 8:18 PM
Faust that is a wonderful bowl, I really like the form and the step sides. And like Roger I like the foot as well. I would be proud to have that on our dining room table, well done.

robert baccus
02-27-2013, 10:25 PM
Great bowl, unique and bueatiful and the foot makes it look like a table bowl and that's OK.

Jerry Marcantel
02-27-2013, 10:50 PM
Good job Faust. The foot defines the steps, and the color is very nice. ........ Jerry (in Tucson) PS, I'm a little dissappointed in Roger's comment's after seeing those beautifully written words, or rather that Poem, he did earlier on DD's piece......

Faust M. Ruggiero
02-28-2013, 8:01 AM
Jerry, Roger is one of my biggest supporters. He always has a kind word or two for me. This piece is good, just not poetically inspiring. I actually drew this bowl with a foot. I know there is a taste issue among the "to haves" and "not to haves" where a foot is concerned but it does give a piece lift and that's important to me. This is also a twice turned bowl so I am not concerned about the foot warping and causing the bowl to wobble. It's a big bowl and having the steps will make it easy to carry if loaded with something heavy. Thanks one and all.
faust

David C. Roseman
02-28-2013, 8:33 AM
"simple is hard, elaborate is easy"

Cute quote, but I don't see it applying to this piece at all. The form remains fluid and nicely proportioned despite the embellishments. And the technical execution of the uniform steps surely is more difficult than achieving a smooth curve. JMO.

David

ron david
02-28-2013, 10:06 AM
Cute quote, but I don't see it applying to this piece at all. The form remains fluid and nicely proportioned despite the embellishments. And the technical execution of the uniform steps surely is more difficult than achieving a smooth curve. JMO.

David
If you go back and read, I didn't say that the form was bad. I said that it had nice roundness. what I said was what I perceived to just be cut lines around from the t/nails until I later expanded the pictures,which I said,right? I am not against surface decoration. you may think that quote is cute, but I think that it is fact. to the foot. it is not about to have or not to have; it is about the dovetail and the sharp edge at the bottom. I usually perceive the dovetail left on instead aof a finished bottom, either inexperience in form or laziness or just copying others who turn wood who leave them like that. I will post some examples of a finished foot later to explain what I mean.
ron

Bernie Weishapl
02-28-2013, 11:00 AM
Really a great bowl. Nice form. Nicely done Faust.

Chip Sutherland
02-28-2013, 11:15 AM
I like the foot. I like the stepped sides. Makes me want to hold it and feel it.

Tim Leiter
02-28-2013, 12:23 PM
Very good bowl. Great finish and form and I like the stepped sides and the foot, well done. I really, really want to work harder this spring so I can get a bowl that is complete and good to look at from start to finish. Haven't been able to do that yet.
Tim.

Faust M. Ruggiero
02-28-2013, 2:56 PM
Makes me want to hold it and feel it.
Thanks Chip, That's exactly the feeling I hoped someone would get.

faust

Roger Chandler
02-28-2013, 7:39 PM
..... Jerry (in Tucson) PS, I'm a little dissappointed in Roger's comment's after seeing those beautifully written words, or rather that Poem, he did earlier on DD's piece......

Geez..........tough crowd! :eek::rolleyes: