PDA

View Full Version : McNaughton post for PM3520

Doug W Swanson
02-27-2013, 9:57 AM
I'm looking at buying a used McNaughton coring set. From the information I can find, there is a longer post available to allow the set to be used on the PM3520.

Does anyone know where to get this post? If I look at the CSUSA and Woodcraft websites, they don't mention anything about it.

Can anyone help?
Thanks!

Tim Rinehart
02-27-2013, 10:09 AM
I've got a used McN system, and the post with it works fine. I do think I recall some differences perhaps in height needs for 3520A vs 3520B...and perhaps original 3520.

James Ley
02-27-2013, 10:29 AM
I'm looking at buying a used McNaughton coring set. From the information I can find, there is a longer post available to allow the set to be used on the PM3520. Does anyone know where to get this post? If I look at the CSUSA and Woodcraft websites, they don't mention anything about it. Can anyone help? Thanks! I did order the McNaughton coring set with a long post from Craft Supplies, but I had to call in the order because the long post is not listed on the website. The product number I was given for the long post is 095-6666.

Bob Hamilton
02-27-2013, 10:34 AM
It seems to me that when I have seen this issue come up it usually turns out that the original owner shortened the post that came with the set to allow using it on their lathe and now it is too short for a larger lathe. Check these two threads: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?176783-My-McNaughton-has-arrived&highlight=

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?193777-Silk-Oak-cored-bowls&highlight=

Take care
Bob

Reed Gray
02-27-2013, 12:22 PM
Years ago, they came with a short post, maybe 2 inches, and you had to ask for the longer 4 inch post. Now, it seems to be more the other way around. Some do have to cut off some of the post to fit into the 14 and 16 inch lathe banjos, but not all of them. I believe Craft Supplies keeps them in stock, not sure about Lee Valley.

robo hippy

charlie knighton
02-27-2013, 12:55 PM
1 inch round stock steel is fairly common at machine shops, they could cut it to length in about 1/2 minute i would think

Dale Gillaspy
02-27-2013, 1:31 PM
I had the same problem. I had to call CSUSA and talk to someone live. At the time, I talked to Rex, but he is not there anymore. If the phone order person doesn't know, ask for someone who knows about the equipment. They should be able to help you.

Reed Gray
02-27-2013, 3:26 PM
Standard 1 inch bar stock could work, but the top part of the post is machined again to fit inside the two pieces that go on the post.

robo hippy

charlie knighton
02-27-2013, 3:36 PM
but the top part of the post is machined again to fit inside the two pieces that go on the post.

i always go to the same machine shop, Absolute Machine Enterprises, take in the other two pieces, ask them to fit it, if they can't, find another machine shop
my only problem is i am in infrequent customer, i let the owner/machinist do it in his spare time and i pay in cash

you might take in the short post so he can see that also

Bob Bergstrom
02-27-2013, 3:46 PM
Had the same problem. Called Craft Supply and I think the cost was a little over $20. Had it in a couple days. Great people to work with.

charlie knighton
02-27-2013, 6:44 PM
you would be lucky to only pay $20 at a machine shop even if was done on slack time, if craft supply can supply it at $20 and shipping, pay the man

Doug W Swanson
02-27-2013, 9:17 PM
Thanks for all of the replies. It sounds like I'll have to wait until I get the coring set to see how long the post is. If it's too short I can just order one....