PDA

View Full Version : Help with a dresser, need a build date. PICTURES INCLUDED

Aaron Berk
02-26-2013, 11:18 PM
Hey all.
I just picked up this old dresser and plan on giving it a 2 tone painted finish (red & grey) with some chrome drawer knobs.
This thing has been through the wringer and has about 6 knob/pull holes per drawer. (as seen by the filler on the inside of drawers)

I was wanting to find out which holes were the originals but I can't identify this piece on Google from any of their images.
I'm sure someone here can give a knowledgeable answer, or even an educated guess is welcome.

So here she is......

Aaron Berk
02-28-2013, 8:48 PM
197 views and no bites?

I asked a local guy who "flips" furniture for a living.
I drew him a horrid sketch and he said it looked like mas produced furniture of 30's vintage.

Any one more confident in making a guess now?

Matt Day
02-28-2013, 8:53 PM
If that was a vintage machine you'd have better luck here I bet!

Are there any identifying manufacturer's badges anywhere that would help your search?

Aaron Berk
02-28-2013, 9:10 PM
No, the thing is a blank slate, it has a plywood back and drawer bottoms though.
Dovetailed drawer construction, and no dust frames.

Jerry Miner
03-01-2013, 12:30 AM
If we don't know where this dresser came from, why do we care which holes are original? Pick a handle and placement that looks good to you. It's not a museum piece, it's a useful dresser.

Cary Falk
03-01-2013, 12:46 AM
I am in the campo of fill the holes and make new ones. Paint the dresser. Who cares what is original.

Bill Petersen
03-01-2013, 8:01 AM
I think the original holes would be the ones that are equidistant from the drawer edges.

Bill

david brum
03-01-2013, 10:11 AM
If you search google images for art nouveou style dressers, you'll get an idea of what the style originally looked like.