PDA

View Full Version : What do you know about this old bandsaw?

Troy Turner
02-26-2013, 3:10 PM
We've got an auction coming up soon and this is one of the pics that got my attention. Might like to get it just to have and maybe restore, but not too sure about it or what I should/shouldn't bid for it.

Ya'll got any ideas?

Thanks

Ron Kellison
02-26-2013, 4:21 PM
I don't know the make but it looks like it would be fun to restore! I suspect you will find that it has a repulsion/induction motor (no starting capacitors and loads of tiny parts) and 3-phase power.

Ron

Erik Loza
02-26-2013, 4:58 PM
Crescent?

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

Steve Rozmiarek
02-26-2013, 6:12 PM
Yates maybe, looks like their doors. Never seen one that big though.

Troy Turner
02-26-2013, 8:23 PM
Well, if it's 3 phase, it'll make a nice paper weight in my shop :)

Crescent and Yates. I'll have to research them. I won't get to see it til the auction so I'm stuck with just the picture for now. Does $200 sound too much? I'd eventually restore it and possibly replace my 80s Craftsman with it if I get it running.

Bruce Page
02-26-2013, 9:06 PM
There are ways around the 3ph issue, some very easy. It would be a steal at $200 IMO.

Kirk Poore
02-26-2013, 9:06 PM
14" Heston & Anderson #1, circa 1930.
http://www.owwm.com/photoindex/images/8003-A.jpg

More of them at http://vintagemachinery.org/mfgindex/detail.aspx?id=443&tab=4&sort=1&th=false&fl=

Kirk

Troy Turner
02-26-2013, 10:27 PM
Kirk -

That almost looks dead on and some of the VM pics look good too.

My wife likes it and says I can bid on it if it doesn't mean the kids can't go to college...so in ya'll's opinion, how high would you go? Sometimes the auctioneer starts machinery out around $50 - $100 to see if there's any interest. And sometimes it just plain gets out of hand. I do know when to quit, but I don't know if I'd get a chance at something this cool for a while.

David Kumm
02-26-2013, 11:08 PM
The cool factor is higher than the utility factor so you need to buy cheap enough so some repair won't get you way above a newer 14" Delta type saw. $50-150 would be about it for me but others are more into flat belt. Dave

Richard Coers
02-26-2013, 11:16 PM
After reading the other posts, I thought those doors were add ons, not original to this machine. If you go to look at it, take the tension off the blade and drive belt, then check for play in the bearings. Probably babbet, but they really run smoothly. I had a similar vintage machine. I had to run the top wheel between the floor joists in my basement shop to make it fit. You could almost throw wood through it. Wish I had it back, but sold it when I opened a shop. Employees didn't like the hardware cloth wheel covers that the previous owner fitted on it. Insurance man really didn't like it.

Steve Rozmiarek
02-27-2013, 12:28 AM
Yep, on further examination, I think the doors are add ons. It's not very big either, must be this cold messing with my equilibrium or something... Pretty sure Kirk nailed it.

I have an old Oliver, slightly larger, and I smile every time I even see it. Old bandsaws can be just as good as any new iron, and way classier.

Kirk Poore
02-27-2013, 7:26 AM
Yep, on further examination, I think the doors are add ons. It's not very big either, must be this cold messing with my equilibrium or something... Pretty sure Kirk nailed it.

I have an old Oliver, slightly larger, and I smile every time I even see it. Old bandsaws can be just as good as any new iron, and way classier.

No, those are original wheel covers. Most of them (H&A #1) have them.

Other than probably needing new bearings, new tires and a cleanup, there probably isn't much to do to this machine. I don't think it has babbitt, so given the oil visible in the picture, it probably has sleeve bearings. In that case, you may not even need to change them. Nice little flat belt, too.

Kirk

Steve Rozmiarek
02-27-2013, 11:06 AM
No, those are original wheel covers. Most of them (H&A #1) have them.

Other than probably needing new bearings, new tires and a cleanup, there probably isn't much to do to this machine. I don't think it has babbitt, so given the oil visible in the picture, it probably has sleeve bearings. In that case, you may not even need to change them. Nice little flat belt, too.

Kirk

Kirk, when was it made? Galvanized steel straps for mounting seem very un-factory. Not that it matters one bit to the appeal of the saw.

Myk Rian
02-27-2013, 11:18 AM
When bidding, be aware of the scrappers there. They might bid it up.
Those are snowflake wheel covers.

Kirk Poore
02-27-2013, 11:23 AM
Kirk, when was it made? Galvanized steel straps for mounting seem very un-factory. Not that it matters one bit to the appeal of the saw.

The only straps I see are, I think, clips to hold the covers in place. There should be a hinge on the other side. You can look at more on the Vintage Machinery site to see if the machines there have hinged snowflake covers.

The whole machine probably only weighs a couple of hundred pounds. You should be able to outbid any scrappers easily.

Kirk

Troy Turner
02-27-2013, 2:26 PM
The more pics I see of these restored, the more my price goes up. Wife is on board because she likes the vintage stuff too and thinks it would be great if I was able to eventually outfit my shop with vintage machinery :)

Found these other two things for sale too...I recognize the d/p, and the other looks like a planer.

Steve Rozmiarek
02-27-2013, 8:25 PM
Troy, I think the other is a radial arm saw or bridge saw. Looks like a fun auction!

Michael Mayo
02-27-2013, 9:19 PM
I would bet anything that Van Huskey could tell us what this bandsaw is where has he been?

Troy Turner
02-28-2013, 10:07 AM
I noticed it has said, what I could make out was, radial saw, but couldn't read the first part.

I'm hoping it'll be a fun auction and the scrappers don't jack up my price.

Bill White
02-28-2013, 5:12 PM
Just buy it and enjoy. Didja see the smilie face?
Bill

Troy Turner
03-01-2013, 9:00 AM
Troy, I think the other is a radial arm saw or bridge saw. Looks like a fun auction!

Google is a wonderful thing...it's a 1930s Wallace Workace Radial saw.

Steve Rozmiarek
03-01-2013, 10:30 AM
Troy, I wonder what the shaft sticking up on the RAS is?? Maybe somebody can explain? I bet if you want a RAS, you can get that one for much less than the new price...