PDA

View Full Version : Jet Mini Lathe to Keep

Stan Smith
02-26-2013, 1:39 PM
Hi Folks. I just spent a bunch of time going through old posts about changing my 1014 to variable speed. Penn State Industries has a kit to convert from the belts to variable speed. I have been wanting a variable speed for sometime but didn't want to spend the extra $$ and then be stuck with getting rid of my old lathe. I live in a small town so the problem is finiding someone who would want the lathe since shipping it would be pretty costly to a buyer somewhere else. So, the conversion kit seems like a good alternative. However, reading some of the posts, it sounds like there was a number of unhappy folks whose controller units burned out. I'm thinking that I'll just leave things the way they are and continue to change belts which is a little bit of a pain but certainly not intolerable. Has anyone had good results with PSI's conversion kit on the 1014? Thanks for any info/comments.

Scott Lux
02-26-2013, 2:09 PM
Can't speak to the 1014 directly. But I can speak to the conversion kit. It is not overly powerful. If I recall, it claims 1/2 hp. That's optimistic. But I made a lot of stoppers, pens and pendants with it. A few bowls too. If you find the speed acting odd, clean the brushes. That did the trick for me.

Stan Smith
02-26-2013, 10:09 PM
Thanks for the info, Scott. I'm hoping that others will comment on their experience also.

The 1014 is billed at 1/2 hp. Is your lathe a higher hp than 1/2 prior to conversion?

Brian Kent
02-27-2013, 12:50 AM
No experience here, but only curiosity. Is the kit including a new motor?

Mike Cruz
02-27-2013, 7:38 AM
Yes, Brian. The controller and motor. Just over $100.

Jim Burr
02-27-2013, 8:23 AM
I learned on a belt drive 1014...still have it. If that's what you have, that's what works. Tens of thousands of those lathes have been sold and are in service with belt speed control.

Brian Brown
02-27-2013, 8:51 AM
Stan,

When the motor on my Delta midi burned up 18 months ago, I looked seriously at the PSI conversion motor kit because I thought the variable speed would be great. The reviews were all over the map. The consensus seemed to be that if you turned anything larger in diameter than a bottle stopper, it was easy to bog the motor down, or even stop it. It also overheated, and tripped the overload easily when using it for extended periods, or larger diameter stuff. I talked to a tech rep from PSI, and he confirmed that I would not be happy with it, especially since I use it for bowls and small hollow forms. Also remember that even though it is variable speed, you still have to change the belt (2 positions) to get the full range of speeds.

Redding is not that small of a town, and I think it would be easy to sell your Jet if the money is necessary for putting toward a new lathe, or if you don't have the space for 2. If you do have the space for 2 lathes, I would keep the little Jet, and get a 2nd lathe. I have 3 midi lathes now (long strange story) and it is very nice to be able to put buffing wheels on one as a permanent buffing station, and have two for production work. I can be sanding or turning on one, and finishing on the other, or my wife sometimes comes out and turns while I am. You also have a ready backup if one breaks down.

Kyle Iwamoto
02-27-2013, 11:00 AM
Did you consider leaving the little Jet alone and investing in a EVS machine? The Delta (minus the parts problems) and the new EVS Jet? I got a Jet 1642 and I still have my 1014. Thats a big jump in price though. Just a thought.

I considered the VS modification long ago, and I did get to turn on the 1014 VS. It seems to have less power, since the motor is not always running at full speed, and therefore full power. After turning on the VS 1014, I decided to not attempt that mod. Changing belts is really not that much of a problem.

Stan Smith
02-27-2013, 3:53 PM
Thanks to everybody for the input. I'm just going to keep the belt drive for now. I've had it since before the VS models came out. The VS would just be something else to go wrong. I had a 1642 which I sold years ago. I was a fine lathe, but I just ended up liking to turn small stuff. I got a great deal on the mini jet lathe and stand for $300 from Woodcraft when they were having a sale. I was wondering if the VS had less power and apparently it does. It is a pain to change the belts which I do at least 3 times when I turn a pen. However, it's not that big a deal. I usually wait until the last minute to get my gift projects done which is my fault. I would rather have reliability than convenience. Redding is a small town when it comes to some things and people here expect you to practically give things away. I don't have room for two lathes. For buffing I have an 8" grinder/buffer. I also have a 6" disk/belt sander and a 10-20 drum sander and a Delta boss oscillating sander. My small shop is crowded with too much stuff and I have to pare it down. Thanks again for your comments.

Scott Lux
02-27-2013, 4:07 PM
Stan, The PSI motor was exactly the same motor, controller, board, and mounting plate as was on my lathe before. It was an Excelsior VS (Rockler's house brand). After I bought the replacement motor and realized it was the brushes, I cleaned up both motors and kept one as a spare.

It's fine for stoppers, pens, pendants and the like. But bowls bigger than 4" are iffy. Easy to bog the motor down.

Dave Fritz
02-27-2013, 6:47 PM
I did the conversion using the Jet conversion kit. Works great. There are still three ranges that you achieve by changing the belts. I think I have mine in the middle position and pretty much leave it there. I can slow it down to sand and speed it up to turn using the variable speed control.

The kit comes with a new motor so I have a spare 1/2 horse motor.

Sorry I can't find the product or remember where I got it. I'm glad I made the switch.

Dave F.

Jim Burr
02-27-2013, 8:55 PM
There is no need to change speed when turning a pen Stan. If you drill on a drill press, set the lathe on 2800 and have at it! If you drill on the lathe, then yes, you would need to drop it to the 500ish range. I turn, sand and finish at 3000+, but for a pen, that's my comfort range.
I've done stuff 9" diameter and 12" long on a regular basis until I grabbed a 1642. 1014 is not pretty or fancy, but it gets the job done in a quality fashion.

Stan Smith
02-27-2013, 10:46 PM
There is no need to change speed when turning a pen Stan. If you drill on a drill press, set the lathe on 2800 and have at it! If you drill on the lathe, then yes, you would need to drop it to the 500ish range. I turn, sand and finish at 3000+, but for a pen, that's my comfort range.
I've done stuff 9" diameter and 12" long on a regular basis until I grabbed a 1642. 1014 is not pretty or fancy, but it gets the job done in a quality fashion.

Hi Jim. I think your comfort range is a lot higher than mine. I've got some blanks that I made myself from tree rounds that I scrounged and resawed on the band saw. I have the speed very low when I bring them into round. Next I go to about the middle speed and finished shaping. Finally, I go to the top speed to sand and finish. This is for pens only. Although I've turned for around 15 years, I don't do it often enough to get to a very advanced level. I've never even turned any acrylic stuff. I know quite a few people spend all their wwing time turning, but I like to make other stuff also. It's really fun to turn.

Dan Hintz
02-28-2013, 6:57 AM
I'm fast for turning (once round), medium for sanding, and slow(ish) for finishing. Luckily, I can do all of that on one belt setting and twisting a dial...

Stan Smith
03-01-2013, 12:11 PM
Both Craft Supplies and Woodcraft are running a 15% off sale starting to day on Jet tools. The 1014 VS can be had for $458 w/free shipping from Woodcraft.