PDA

View Full Version : New items on the laser.

Joe Hillmann
02-26-2013, 12:12 PM
Here are a few new items I made with the laser this week. I think they may have some potential.

The first is a combination lock for a safe. It is the traditional 3 number, right, left, right style and the combination can be changed depending on where the tabs are put on the cams. I still have to design the safe. I plan to sell this as a kit. I was surprised that when it was all put together it is not possible to figure out the combination by forcing the bolt into the cams when turning the dial. I had planned to add teeth to the cam to make it harder to break into but I don't think it is necessary.
The door of the safe
The Back of the lock
The tumblers inside of the lock.

The next item is a few more lifelike rubber band guns. All of them get loaded with 4 rubber bands. When the trigger is pulled it shoots one band, to reload it you cycle the action and then pull the trigger to shoot again. Also, the action resets the trigger.
Here is a lever action Winchester 97. It is a very common gun in the area for beginner deer hunters, to reload it you swing the lever forward and back

Here is the bolt action, to reload it the handle on the bolt is pulled back. When it is shot the bolt slams forward, shooting one band and moving the rest up one notch. This one is my favorite because it has a tiny bit of recoil and makes a bit of noise when the bolt slams forward.

And the Remington 870 pump. This is a very common first shotgun. To reload you just slide the pump back.

Chuck Stone
02-26-2013, 1:02 PM
pretty cool! I'm surprised the lock isn't 'pick-able' or at least not easily.

Love the guns, too.. I recently made one for a friend, found drawings on the OGG site.
(that guy is amazing!) and adjusted for size and cut them on the laser. Had a piece of
caribbean rosewood that wasn't pretty enough for knife scales, but with a checkered
pattern,it worked really great as grips! Learned the hard way that you only give these
away when you're on your way out the door..

Joe Hillmann
02-26-2013, 1:30 PM
As far as it not being pickable, I am no locksmith but I did design it and foresaw it being very easy to pick so I had plans to make another set of cams that would lock up the mechanism when someone tried to pick it but it turns out that wasn't necessary. And since I know how it works inside I just can imagine anyone being able to pick it, of course since it is made of wood I can't imagine anyone knowing what they are doing trying to pick it.

The funnest part is making everything work silky smooth. I chuck up that center dowel in a drill and spin it until it starts to smoke. It works as smooth as a metal one.

Michael Kowalczyk
02-26-2013, 4:50 PM
Nice work Joe. Thanks for sharing but watch out for those black unidentified helicopters or drones that may be circling your place and gathering intel.:D

Joe Hillmann
02-27-2013, 1:04 PM
And the fully assembled bank.