PDA

View Full Version : Proper tightening of guide bushings

Joe Cowan
02-26-2013, 10:57 AM
I am fairly new to using guide bushings, but recently build two beds where I needed to make big mortise and tenons using a jig I built. All was well off the start, but I ended up damaging two bushing as they became loose and hit the bit. I ended up using vise grip pliers to tighten a new one enough to hold. This seems awkward and damaging to the brass, but necessary. I was using a 1/2" downcut spiral bit in a 5/8" bushing. Am I missing something with this?

Jamie Buxton
02-26-2013, 11:04 AM
Take the bushing and the nut off the router, thread them together, and see if the nut screws on far enough to really catch the router's mounting plate.
I have various bushings and nuts, acquired over the years. Some of the nuts don't have the same thread pitch as the some of the bushings, so they don't tighten down properly.

John Coloccia
02-26-2013, 11:42 AM
Exactly what equipment are you using? I've NEVER had a guide bushing even loosen slightly, never mind come off enough to hit a bit, and I don't do anything but hand tighten. I'm surprised the bushing was able to move enough to hit the bit If would have had to loosen so much that it comes out of the recess and tips somehow. There has got to be something wrong with your setup, I think.

Joe Cowan
02-26-2013, 12:25 PM
Exactly what equipment are you using? I've NEVER had a guide bushing even loosen slightly, never mind come off enough to hit a bit, and I don't do anything but hand tighten. I'm surprised the bushing was able to move enough to hit the bit If would have had to loosen so much that it comes out of the recess and tips somehow. There has got to be something wrong with your setup, I think.

I am using a DeWalt 621 router. I had many tenons to do and it worked fine for most of the work, but it must have vibrated enough to loosen it. I did not trust my hand tightening after that and went with a vise grip.

Bill Huber
02-26-2013, 12:26 PM
I have only had it happen one time but I have been thinking about getting one of these.

http://www.eagleamerica.com/product/400-1440/safety_supplies

Jim Neeley
02-26-2013, 12:48 PM
Bill,

Those get rave reviews on a router-oriented forum from people who have had problems with their bushings loosening.

Jim in Alaska
(and a retired moderator from there) :)

Michael Heffernan
02-26-2013, 1:41 PM
Get a spring washer or rubber O-rings. They snug up and will never come loose. I use both all the time, never had an issue. You only need to finger tighten. I think using pliers will gouge the nut and could deform the bushing if you squeeze too hard.

Myk Rian
02-26-2013, 2:00 PM
Teflon pipe tape.