PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Festool Poll

Steve Milito
02-26-2013, 10:16 AM
I know there is another thread, but a poll would be far easier to interpret.
Basically, what is your absolutely favorite, wouldn't live without festool, dust extractor and accessories excluded.

Bill Wyko
02-26-2013, 11:12 AM
Definitely the Domino! That tool makes strong joinery so fast and rock solid. It had me doing projects I wouldn't have even considered due to complex joinery that would have taken too long.

Jeff Monson
02-26-2013, 11:57 AM
I voted domino also, while I enjoy using different Festool products, this one for me would be the hardest to replace. There are many different sanders, saws, vacs and drills out there, but not many mfgs. offer a domino substitute.

Chris Jackson
02-26-2013, 12:04 PM
15+3 Drill and Rotex

Mike Henderson
02-26-2013, 12:46 PM
No question - the Domino. I use it in almost all of my projects. Great invention.

Mike

John Schweikert
02-26-2013, 7:00 PM
Track saw was my choice. Limited space + track saw makes breaking down sheet goods with accuracy a pleasure.

Steve Milito
02-26-2013, 9:23 PM
I was torn between tract saw and domino, but it looks like Domino has a strong lead.

Julie Moriarty
02-26-2013, 9:28 PM
I picked the ETS because I only have that and a Rotex and I've barely used the Rotex. Now that I see the Domino kicking butt, does that mean I have to buy that next? :rolleyes:

Sam Murdoch
02-26-2013, 11:24 PM
The domino will set your joinery free Julie :D, but my first vote is for the track saw. This tool has changed the way I work. Close 2nd is the domino, but a good Lamello has its place and is a fair competitor. Notice I specify Lamello and not just any old biscuit machine. Not as precise but still an excellent alignment tool. The imprecise aspect is the virtue of the biscuits over the dominos.

johnny means
02-26-2013, 11:56 PM
I picked the ETS because I only have that and a Rotex and I've barely used the Rotex. Now that I see the Domino kicking butt, does that mean I have to buy that next? :rolleyes:

Yes, yes it does.

james maichel
02-27-2013, 1:52 AM
I voted tack saw only because I have not used my Domino yet. I got it a couple weeks ago but have been busy with work, family and finishing a couple of bookcases for the wife. I am sure if it's half as good as everyone claims it is, I may have to change my vote.

Bill Wyko
02-27-2013, 2:34 AM
While the Domino is an expensive investment, I don't know one person that has regretted their purchase. As a matter fact, anyone I've ever talked to about it has said they love it and it's changed the way they do joinery. Anyone here have the big one that will do a 5 inch long domino?

Peter Kuhlman
02-27-2013, 9:08 AM
I vote TS saw but only with the MFT/3. I can easily get more accurate square cuts on panels than with my cabinet saw as the material and saw are locked in position. I still prefer my DowelMax to my Domino if needing flush surface joints when edge joining material. Can easily get within a couple thousandths with the DowelMax but fair amount of variance with the Domino causing lots of grief trying to finish sand.

Alan Lightstone
02-27-2013, 11:29 AM
Track saw with ETS 150/3 slightly behind.

Richard McComas
02-27-2013, 5:33 PM
I'm not voting. Why? I just can't seem to pick just one. Track saw, domino and RO sander are a must have.

Brian Kincaid
02-27-2013, 5:41 PM
The answer is the drill. Seriously there is no market equivalent.
-Brian

Julie Moriarty
02-27-2013, 6:27 PM
Yes, yes it does.

That's what I was afraid of...

Tom Willoughby
02-27-2013, 7:04 PM
I voted for the Domino because it is a unique tool that makes loose mortise and tenon joinery feasible for the relatively inexperienced, not to mention the speed. I didn't want to spend the money on the Domino but after looking at the alternatives, it seemed like the best choice for me and I've not regretted the purchase.

Tom

Alan Melbourne
02-27-2013, 8:00 PM
i voted domino because it is a game changer. the ts55 is an amazing tool and get used 4 times more but could be replaced with the table saw if i wasnted . althow it would be a pain.. i dont think i could replace the domino (maybe with the domino 700 xl ) .
a hand held circular saw and straight edge would do the job (it did me for years) of the ts55.

i wouldnt want to be without any of my festools. the drill is only a luxury,

Harry Hagan
02-28-2013, 12:04 PM
Whichever one I happen to be using! :D

John Piwaron
02-28-2013, 12:25 PM
It's not on the list. It's my dust extractor.

The only other Festool item I have is a Domino. I like it, it works o.k. when I want to use it but I don't consider it a must have. It's a convenience.

What would be a "must have" would be one of their sanders. Fortunately my old PC ROS's have a circular port that connects perfectly to the dust extractor's hose. Until those die I don't think I'll be getting one. Unless someone can make a convincing argument for replacement.

Homer Faucett
02-28-2013, 1:17 PM
It's not on the list. It's my dust extractor.

The only other Festool item I have is a Domino. I like it, it works o.k. when I want to use it but I don't consider it a must have. It's a convenience.

What would be a "must have" would be one of their sanders. Fortunately my old PC ROS's have a circular port that connects perfectly to the dust extractor's hose. Until those die I don't think I'll be getting one. Unless someone can make a convincing argument for replacement.

I have a Fein Turbo II that I bought used for under $100. I bought the TS 75 from a guy looking to sell his Festool vac. I tried the TS 75 with the Festool vac, but didn't feel it was enough better than the Fein (actually, other than the flat top, I thought he Fein kicked it's rear-end) to justify the extra $400 asking price. I don't think there is a tool that takes the place of the Domino, if you're looking for a M/T machine. The tracksaw is nice, but unless you need high DC (and you can get close with a PC MAG with some mods and a home-made track), the track saw has several competitors with varying price points and benefits. I honestly just don't see the benefit of the sanders over the higher end (and less expensive) Bosch or PC sanders, and my Dynabrades (on a big compressor) are probably better as far as vibration. IMHO, the Festool jigsaw is comparable to the top of the line Bosch unit, which is much more affordable. The old school PC jigsaw isn't bad, either.

Festools are definitely high end, quality pieces of equipment. There's no doubt that they are a solid choice for someone using them everyday for a living. Are there alternatives? You bet. Which is the best for you? Only you can decide. And at what premium? Again, only you can decide.

I know, I'm a heretic.