PDA

View Full Version : A little gloat from the Desert Woodturning Roundup

Kathy Marshall
02-26-2013, 1:09 AM
Every other year the Arizona Woodturners Association puts on the Desert Woodturning Roundup, which was last weekend. It went very well this year and we had some great demonstrators, some awesome pieces in the instant gallery, some good food and the vendors of course!
I picked up a 1 1/4" scraper and handle from Doug Thompson, a teardrop scraper for my hollowing rig and some really nice BLM burl blanks.

On Saturday night, after the banquet, we had a live auction. I donated my large mesquite bowl with the undercut rim and one of the bidders was Molly Winton. She was eventually outbid and I went to her table where she told me she really liked that bowl. I let her know that I had that bowl's little sister in the instant gallery (the one I did last weekend that I ebonized and burned) and that I would give her that one if she wanted it. She said she'd love to have it and then offered one of her mini hollow forms in trade.
Well she didn't have to ask me twice! I love her work so I was thrilled at the chance to get one of her pieces!
One of the demos I saw was Molly Winton on burning and making your own pyro pens and brands. So on my way home Sunday night I stopped and picked up some supplies. When I got home I turned some mesquite into an ergonomic pyro pen. I had bought the wrong jack, so I got it all wired up except for the jack and then finished it up tonight.
I did a little branding on it, then used a foam brush and some ebonizing solution to add some dark bands. I applied the solution with the lathe turning at about 300 rpms and I was able to get nice, crisp lines. I then finished it up with some antique oil.
I've got enough supplies left to make several more pens so I think I'll do some in other shapes.

Here's a few pics from the instant gallery.
Had a great weekend and met some other turners and I can't wait for the National next year here in Phoenix!

Reed Gray
02-26-2013, 1:28 AM
Okay, now I am jealous. I have seen Molly once, and love her work. Took a lot of anthropology classes in college days. Good trade!

robo hippy

Dan Hintz
02-26-2013, 7:42 AM

I'm really digging this piece... it it one of yours, Kathy?

Dick Mahany
02-26-2013, 9:14 AM
Sounds like all had a great experience. Those pieces are all fantastik and sooooo original. The Michael Hosaluk pieces remind me of M. C. Escher paintings.

Bernie Weishapl
02-26-2013, 9:36 AM
Sounds like a great time. Ditto on the piece Dan shows. Really caught my eye.

charlie knighton
02-26-2013, 9:55 AM
sounds like a great time, thanks for sharing Kathy

Mike and Cynthia Gibson
02-26-2013, 10:39 AM
Just love your pen Kathy! You clever girl! It should be a joy to use. Congrats on your new piece!
Cynthia

Jon Nuckles
02-26-2013, 11:17 AM
Swapping turnings with Molly Winton! You are in the big leagues, Kathy. Love her stuff, and those Michael Hosaluk pieces are also great. Thanks for sharing the experience with the rest of us.

Chip Sutherland
02-26-2013, 1:05 PM
That's a super great story you will be able to tell for years. Swapping pieces is simply priceless.

I was a accidental camera-person for a day of her demos at a Rocky Mtn Symposium. Neat lady....love her work, too.

Tim Rinehart
02-26-2013, 4:06 PM
Very nice Kathy. Glad it worked out for both you and Molly, can't blame her for wanting one of your pieces. Being able to collect work from others whose work you enjoy is pretty rewarding, it's part of what I enjoy so much about swaps.
Do you have a pic of the pieces you had in the Instant Gallery? Or is that one yours that Dan asked about?

Scott Hackler
02-26-2013, 4:22 PM
Wipe that smile off your face! Molly's pieces are really cool and she is a particularly nice lady to talk to.

Doug W Swanson
02-26-2013, 4:37 PM
Great story, Kathy! Sounds like it was a blast!

Harry Robinette
02-26-2013, 10:13 PM
Kathy
Great pictures and story. Seen Molly in Cincinnati and made one of her pen branding irons they work great .But I didn't get no swap.

Dale Gillaspy
02-26-2013, 11:29 PM
Actually, the off center piece above is mine. Thank you for the compliments, though. I helped out with the DWR and it was a great time. Molly was great, and Kathy donated 2 pieces to the auction that both went over very well. I think one of the highlights was pitting Michael Hosaluk and Richard Raffan in a head to head spin top turning competition. Michael just beat Richard out with a winning time of 16.5 seconds. 255528

Kathy Marshall
02-26-2013, 11:52 PM
Thanks everyone!

Okay, now I am jealous. I have seen Molly once, and love her work. Took a lot of anthropology classes in college days. Good trade!

robo hippy
Thanks Reed! I've been a big fan of her work since the 1st time I saw it so I was thrilled when she offered a trade.

I'm really digging this piece... it it one of yours, Kathy?
Unfortunately no, it was turned by another club member, Dale Gillaspy, who is also a Creeker. He does some cool work.

Just love your pen Kathy! You clever girl! It should be a joy to use. Congrats on your new piece!
Cynthia
Thanks Cynthia!

Swapping turnings with Molly Winton! You are in the big leagues, Kathy. Love her stuff, and those Michael Hosaluk pieces are also great. Thanks for sharing the experience with the rest of us.
Thanks Jon, I'm still pinching myself.

That's a super great story you will be able to tell for years. Swapping pieces is simply priceless.

I was a accidental camera-person for a day of her demos at a Rocky Mtn Symposium. Neat lady....love her work, too.
Thanks Chip. I really enjoyed her demos, very nice lady.

Wipe that smile off your face! Molly's pieces are really cool and she is a particularly nice lady to talk to.
Sorry Scott, I tried but I couldn't wipe it off and I couldn't agree more.

Great story, Kathy! Sounds like it was a blast!
Thanks Doug, it was a great time!

Kathy
Great pictures and story. Seen Molly in Cincinnati and made one of her pen branding irons they work great .But I didn't get no swap.
Thanks Harry and yes, the branding irons work great.