PDA

View Full Version : A glue question

Kesh Ikuma
02-25-2013, 11:18 PM
I'm building a portable table, which legs are removable (attached to the tabletop with hanger bolts) and to be stowed away under the table top. I am building it as I design, and likely I will need the table before I have it all completed. If I put finish (shellac -> wipe-on poly) on the table without storage section done, what would be my best option to add on the storage system later? Here are my thoughts:

A. Keep the underside of the tabletop (inside of the skirt) unfinished
B. Strip the finish where the storage system attaches to the table and use regular wood glue (I'm using TB)
C. Use glue that adhere to poly finished wood (CA? epoxy? ???)
D. ...

What do you guys recommend?

Thanks!
Kesh

Bill Wyko
02-25-2013, 11:55 PM
I would suggest masking off the areas that you will need to apply glue to later.

Jerry Miner
02-26-2013, 12:17 AM
I would go with option D: attach the storage system with screws. You're not going to glue on the apron, so why glue on the storage system?

Kesh Ikuma
02-26-2013, 9:27 AM
I would suggest masking off the areas that you will need to apply glue to later.

I thought about your option, but the under-side design most likely will not be finalized in time so I won't know exactly where to tape off.

Kesh Ikuma
02-26-2013, 9:39 AM
I would go with option D: attach the storage system with screws. You're not going to glue on the apron, so why glue on the storage system?

Actually... I'm testing the stability of plywood top with this project (first somewhat true woodworking project for me) and have already cut dados and glued the edges/skirt to the table. Fingers crossed...

Now, screws. I thought about that, too. But the orientation of the diagonal orientation of the storage system really makes it challenging with 1/2" tabletop, no pocket screw and no drill press. I may have a few spots for nails, which I think will nail in regardless of what else I decide to do. (It's gotta go in diagonally as the table is square and the sides are shorter than the height.)

Jerry Olexa
02-26-2013, 10:16 AM
Tape off the areas you need and then use fasteners and TB glue..

Lee Schierer
02-26-2013, 12:33 PM

I'll vote for that as well.