PDA

View Full Version : Received a Grizzly 1023RLW

Scott Reed
02-25-2013, 11:15 PM
I received this saw about a week ago. I must say, whoever built this saw, must have just come back from a long and relaxing vacation. It was built perfectly. The powder coat was spot on, no overspray to be found. The build date shows to be late January 2013 so it’s fresh off the boat. That may be why there was very little cosmoline to clean up. The packaging was very good and shipping went without a hitch and no damage to either of the boxes.

Assembly went without difficulty; the instructions were very clear and easy to follow. I unboxed the cabinet, removed all the parts that were packed within the cabinet, and then built the Shop Fox mobile base. I’ve read some negative reviews on the Shop Fox base, but have to say I find it to be very easy to assemble and solidly built. I hope it never fails because I would hate to put this saw on another base. Speaking of which, I was able to walk the cabinet off the pallet and then used a long 2x4 for leverage to lower it into the base by myself. Would’ve been nice to have some help but it was actually fairly easy.

After reading the manual and getting a general sense of assembly steps, I unboxed all the parts and laid them out in a manner that would ease their installation. The top, wing, and router extension were grounded and polished perfectly and were very flat. The wings attached to the table without issue or need of shims and the top as a whole was flat to well within spec. I installed the fence rails according the manual, moving the front tube over one bolt to gain some rip capacity. I then placed the fence on and it measured an even 1/16” above the table for the entire length. Nice! I checked blade to miter slot alignment and it was dead on. I had to make a very small adjustment to get the fence parallel to the blade. Thankfully the fence was plenty flat and 90 degrees to the table. More on that later.

One of my worries about the router extension table was that for the type of woodwork I most commonly do which is building musical instruments there wasn’t enough work space in front for my large templates to rest on. I build mostly large bodied electric basses and was concerned the template and body blank would tip on the front edge. To gain more real estate for both routing and rip capacity I decided to build an extra wing.
The wing was the first project for the saw. The table measures 27”x12”. I made a frame out of some poplar I had in the shop to those measurements and assembled that with pocket screws and glue. I then took the measurement for the inner part of the frame and cut a ¾” piece of MDF to size. This simple build really tested the saws accuracy. I used the supplied miter gauge for the crosscuts indexed off the fence with a spacer and the fence for the rip cut. The frame I built was as square as it could be and needed the MDF insert to be as well for it to fit right. The MDF fit the frame perfectly with no gaps and was very snug! It was so exact I was a little concerned about fitting it after applying the glue. I did have to use a bit of force via a mallet but it went in great. I used clamps but I probably didn’t have to because the fit was so good. The MDF was installed flush to the top of the frame. I then took an 1/8” piece of hardboard and glued it to cover the entire frame and MDF. After the glue dried I beveled the edge to match the bevel on the front of the saw and waxed the hardboard. I then drilled the router extension and bolted the new wing in place. This little addition makes the router table much better for me and I now have 37.5” of rip capacity! Later I’m going to add a miter slot to the hardboard extension. Should be cool.

This is a fantastic saw that cuts beautifully and is very accurate. It does exactly what a 3hp cabinet saw is supposed to do. Is it perfect? No.

There are a few things I don’t particularly like. I do not like the blade guard much. I wish the splitter and guard were one piece. As it is, the guard just doesn’t seem that stable with the way it’s mounted to the splitter via a thumb screw that puts pressure on the backbone of the splitter. There has to be a better way. That said I will always use it. To add, though, I don’t really like how the splitter/riving knife are removed. You have to open the side door and reach in for a lever. No it’s not difficult but it should be easier and removable from the top of the saw. I suppose some could probably lift the insert and reach in but my hand wouldn’t get in there comfortably. Both the splitter and knife were perfectly aligned from the factory.

Next, I’m not crazy about the fence. It slides smoothly and locks down solidly and is 90 degrees to the table. What’s the problem? It should have adjustment screws for the 90 degree alignment. Thankfully I didn’t need them but it would be nice to have. So while the fence operates perfectly for me it could be better.

I struggled between choosing this saw or the 0690. I haven’t hand any experience with the 690 but from the pics I believe I would have preferred its fence, blade guard, and splitter removal. Dust collection on the 1023 has been pretty good so far and I really like the single belt compared to the triple belt. The 1023 has virtually no vibration. So would I choose the 1023 again over the 690? I don’t know…

Harold Burrell
02-26-2013, 7:11 AM
What saw??? I don't see any saw...

Cary Falk
02-26-2013, 8:25 AM
I remove and insert the riving knife all the time from the top of the saw all of the time. I would say I have average sized hands.

Scott Reed
02-26-2013, 2:05 PM
Cary, I'm sure some can get their hands in there, I wish I could. Well, actually, I can it's just real uncomfortable. It's really not a big deal.

Being that I almost always go through buyers remorse and second guess pretty much every purchase I've ever made, I decided to speak to someone other than a sales rep/customer service person. I just spoke to an actual technical support guy from Grizzly who is a woodworker who seemed to know the saw inside and out as opposed to just reading script straight from a spec sheet. I did not tell him that I already purchased a saw, I just asked which saw is the better and why, the 1023 or the 690. He did not hesitate and said the 1023. He said it is a modern design with a much better, more accurate blade elevation system and has better dust collection. He mentioned several other minor things that I don't recall. He also stated that if he had to choose, no question he'd choose the 1023. I know I may be a bit weird but I feel so much better about my purchase.

Don Morris
02-26-2013, 4:48 PM
You just took that write up from some other blog and posted it. No pics no saw.

Scott Reed
02-26-2013, 5:17 PM
Actually, that write up is mine. My screen name in most places is Scomel Basses. I tried to upload the pics here but they were too big. Going to try again now, but they are the same I posted on the other site.

Scott Reed
02-26-2013, 5:26 PM
Pics added! After spending some more time this morning, I really love this saw. I've got several ordered instruments I have to make and then I plan to build a coffee and end tables for the house. I don't use the table saw a lot while making instruments so I'm really looking forward to making some furniture so I can really put it to the test. Gotta say, (sad to say;)) I love the saw even more after speaking with the grizzly tech:) Don't know what I would've done had he said the 690 was the saw to buy. Probably would've bought that one too, and just have two table saws:)

Don Morris
02-26-2013, 10:45 PM
Haaa, I forced you to add pics. Great Saw! I've got one and love it too. I tried the technique the grizz tech shows in their video to test parallelness of blade to tracks and after several years it's still right on. I put the Unisaw Biesemeyer splitter on. You'll get many a year of joy out of it. Happy wwing.

Joe Shinall
02-28-2013, 5:33 PM
Let me just say that's a beauty! If I ever have to replace my Uni for any reason (probably never will, but in case) I will go Grizzly for the quality and cost efficiency. My drum sander, planer, and jointer are all Grizz and I couldn't be happier. Enjoy that pretty thing, put some scuffs on it already!

ed vitanovec
02-28-2013, 6:35 PM
Congrats on the new Table saw, looks very nice. Most stock blade guards are lousy and you should look at a Shark guard. I b ought one for my Grizzly G0623X and really like it, I would recommend one.

Jim Tabor
02-28-2013, 8:23 PM
Scott.
Your comments about the riving knife and fence have me confused. I have a new 1023RL and I also have very large hands. In fact, I have never met anyone with larger hands and I have no trouble at all installing or removing the riving knife from the top. As for the fence, it has two setscrews for the purpose of making fine adjustments to the 90-degree alignment. Or.....am I missing something?

Scott Reed
02-28-2013, 10:22 PM
Jim, I can't comfortably reach and manipulate the locking lever from the top of the saw. I have to reach in through the side door. The two fine adjustment screws are used to make the fence parallel to the blade/miter slot. Many fences have two additional adjustment screws that will make the fence face 90 degrees to the table. Thankfully my fence is already 90 but if it wasn't I guess I would have to add shims under that face one way or the other to correct it which would be a hassle. It would be much easier with the screws.

Prashun Patel
03-01-2013, 9:08 AM
Congrats. Looks great!!! Can't wait to see some fruits from the loom.

Scott Reed
03-01-2013, 4:33 PM
Today I was switching between the splitter/guard and riving knife while working on a project and it could not have been easier...from the top of the saw! I believe I have changing the pieces from the back of the saw before when I was having the problem, now I have an outfeed table and had to change them from the front. I can't believe I hadn't tried this before. It was very easy to change from the top while in front of the saw. I feel stupid:) Anyway, this is a KILLER saw.

David Helm
03-01-2013, 5:25 PM
Welcome to the club. We all have our stupid moments. I have the G1023RLX. Got it as soon as they were available with riving knife. It is an excellent saw and I am well pleased with it. I certainly did appreciate the extra money that was left in my pocket after buying it.