PDA

View Full Version : "Major Project" Advise needed from everyone please

Donny Lawson
02-25-2013, 8:49 PM
I bought this about a month ago with the intensions of making a "Wooden" vehicle out of it. It is a 96 4x4 and everything works great. It just looks like crap. Tree damage. A buddy of mine has been driving this to work for over a year and he finally sold it to me. I knew I wanted a wooden vehicle years ago and I thought this would be a great canditate. It does not have to be a truck when completed. I will be removing the fenders,hood,grill,and most of the floor board. Has anyone done something like this because I need some "Major advise on this one, or any ideas would be appreciated. It will be about spring or when the weather permits before I start so any ideas will be good. I will post pics of the project as it goes along. This is something I know nothing about and I only have a regular woodshop. No fancy equipment but throw all your suggestions,and ideas at me please. If it was yours what would you do with it???????
Thanks, Donny

Richard Coers
02-25-2013, 9:23 PM
Glass will be a big deal, windshield especially. Can't modify those things, side glass either. I would consider building it like a woodie, leave the front fenders and hood, build with wood from the firewall back. Engine heat is a big deal with wood around it. Never seen any vehicle with a wood hood except for the trailer queens or concept cars. That will also be a benefit for headlight mounts, etc... Door seals and weatherstripping on the doors will be an issue. If I was doing it, I would find a good one, have a giant roll of brown paper, and take patterns from everywhere.

Rick Moyer
02-25-2013, 9:53 PM
I bought this about a month ago with the intensions of making a "Wooden" vehicle out of it. It is a 96 4x4 and everything works great. It just looks like crap. Tree damage. A buddy of mine has been driving this to work for over a year and he finally sold it to me. I knew I wanted a wooden vehicle years ago and I thought this would be a great canditate. It does not have to be a truck when completed. I will be removing the fenders,hood,grill,and most of the floor board. Has anyone done something like this because I need some "Major advise on this one, or any ideas would be appreciated. It will be about spring or when the weather permits before I start so any ideas will be good. I will post pics of the project as it goes along. This is something I know nothing about and I only have a regular woodshop. No fancy equipment but throw all your suggestions,and ideas at me please. If it was yours what would you do with it???????
Thanks, Donny

"Do you feel this vehicle is safe for highway travel?"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKtFIgmoqoI

One of my favorite movies!

Bill Wyko
02-25-2013, 11:06 PM
I would brush up on your knowledge of vacuum bag bent laminations. You could make it very curvy by implimenting vacuum bagging.

Mark Wooden
02-26-2013, 9:58 AM
I'd turn it into an off road camper. That's really cool to have one in that stage to start with.
I think you should start looking around for woods like locust and white oak to start your build, they were used extensively for car frames and such. The interior can be just about anything that suits your fancy.

Cary Falk
02-26-2013, 10:14 AM
Wood Magazone did a sports car a few years back.
http://www.woodmagazine.com/community/a-240-mph-car-made-of-wood/

Rick Potter
02-26-2013, 1:35 PM
I would leave the front bodywork on it, as others have suggested, and make it into a woodie pickup. Because the windshield is gone, I would consider making it into a "C" cab style, like they used in the '20's.

Google 'C cab pickups', and 'huckster trucks'. These may give you some ideas.

Rick Potter

Donny Lawson
02-26-2013, 10:09 PM
I would leave the front bodywork on it, as others have suggested, and make it into a woodie pickup. Because the windshield is gone, I would consider making it into a "C" cab style, like they used in the '20's.

Google 'C cab pickups', and 'huckster trucks'. These may give you some ideas.

Rick Potter
Thanks Rick.
I will look into it. I need any ideas thats out there.

Bill Wyko
02-27-2013, 2:49 AM
How about recreating a Jeep body from wood? reletavly straight lines with easy curves. Imagine a curly maple Jeep!!:D

Dan Hintz
02-27-2013, 6:35 AM
I would consider building it like a woodie, leave the front fenders and hood, build with wood from the firewall back.

Agreed....

David Nelson1
02-27-2013, 7:02 AM
Wow! What a commitment and engineering feat!

Wood Magazone did a sports car a few years back.
http://www.woodmagazine.com/community/a-240-mph-car-made-of-wood/

Joe Angrisani
02-27-2013, 8:27 AM
.....A buddy of mine has been driving this to work for over a year....

Can I say "Only in the South" without violating the TOS?

Pat Barry
02-27-2013, 12:48 PM
Is it going to be insurable and street legal when you're done?

Joe Angrisani
02-27-2013, 3:31 PM

That was actually my first thought. I'd think it would have a salvage title if an insurance company was involved with the "event" that lead to it looking like that.

David Helm
02-27-2013, 4:24 PM
Can I say "Only in the South" without violating the TOS?

Or Mexico!

Montgomery Scott
02-28-2013, 10:21 AM
nothing to offer except to correct your spelling of "advice".

Donny Lawson
03-02-2013, 3:50 PM

Yes, it does have a clear title and has been driven to work for over a year like it is now. Regulations states that you need a side mirror and some eye protection. So, yes it is street legal. Apparently the previous owner had libality ins only on it and when the tree fell on it he knew he would have to fix it himself or sell it. As far as the ins co knows, it is a great little 96 pickup in good shape.

Don Bullock
03-06-2013, 6:41 PM

That is the most important aspect to this project. In some states you can't do something like this with a "modern" vehicle.