PDA

View Full Version : Methods for Offloading Equipment

Brett Bobo
02-25-2013, 6:42 PM
What are your methods for offloading equipment from a pallet to the floor that weights ~1/2 ton? The total drop from the base of the machine to the floor is about 4". I'd obviously like to avoid disassembling it just to move it so what are my options? Aside from a winch or an engine block hoist, I'm scratching my head as to the best approach to get it to the ground safely.

Thanks in advance,
Brett

Scott Davis
02-25-2013, 6:51 PM
a few weeks ago I had to lift my Powermatic 66 up in the air 4 inches to put plywood under it for the dust collector to work. In about 30 minutes and a couple 2x4's I built a frame around it, and lifted it in the air with 4 car jacks, my 2, and borrowed 2 from my neighbors. It was surprisingly easy and stable. It weighs 600lbs. I have rolling base and that would be a way to get it into that if you have something like that.

Only other thing I could think of was hired help, or friend help. My friends all seem to have bad backs and little kids so getting to my house is way harder :>

Jason Roehl
02-25-2013, 7:00 PM
I'd do it with 2 well-built sawhorses, a couple 4x4s and 1 jack. Set the two sawhorses up far enough apart so the pallet can be removed and so that the 4x4s can be run under a good lifting point on either side of the machine, and on top of the sawhorses (perpendicular to them). Leave the 4x4s long, and put a short piece on each end underneath the long 4x4s. Use a jack and another chunk of 4x4 to lift one end, then block that end between the 4x4s and the sawhorses. Do the same on the other end. Remove pallet and lower it by jacking it up enough to remove the blocking.

Stephen Cherry
02-25-2013, 7:03 PM
I've used my el cheapo harbor freight comealong to lift my shaper on and off the mobile base. It's about 1000 lbs with the feeder, which is pretty close to a half ton. I use a 4x4 across 4 of the roof trusses to hang the comealong.

This weight of machine is more than what I can muscle around. For example, something that weighs about 500 lbs can be pushed around, but a 1000 lb machine is dead weight for me.

Other options are jacks, etc, depending on how the machine is set up for being lifted. If the machine has slots for a forklift, it makes it much easier.

Steve Milito
02-25-2013, 7:32 PM
My current shop has an I beam, so I bought a 1 ton trolley and a hoist.
I'll probably get an adjustable gantry crane for my next shop.

Steve Rozmiarek
02-25-2013, 8:03 PM
Couple different ways used in the past, lots of friends, the jacks, a engine hoist etc. Now just use the forklift or the mini skid steer. You can rent either if you don't own it.

Peter Kelly
02-25-2013, 8:55 PM
http://www.rolalift.com

Available at Sunbelt Rentals. Just used a set to remove a 950 pound jointer planer from it's pallet. Great for moving machinery too.

Ray Carlson
02-25-2013, 10:07 PM
Loaded a Roblandx-31 Into pickup with a common towing truck. 1000 pounds 40 bucks for the tow-truck.

Andy Wojteczko
02-25-2013, 11:10 PM
How about build a plywood ramp to meet the skid. Then using three or four round pipe under your machine roll it off. You can easily use a long pipe or pry bar to lift the machine to get the pipes under the machine. Just remember to hang on.

Andy

Mark W Pugh
02-26-2013, 12:34 AM
Try to Google "unloading gun safes from pallet", Here are a few I found. Now, I can't see the pix or videos since I am in a country that CLOSELY monitors/sensors the internet.

http://www.deansafe.com/gun-safe-moving-pallet-removing-and-leveling.html

http://www.youtube.com/embed/AISvq7F6DVg?rel=0&autoplay=1&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01

Youtube is tabu here.

Single individuals have been unloading REALLY big safes for a long time. I know I've seen some fantastic videos on the net of how to. Good luck.

Rod Sheridan
02-26-2013, 9:26 AM
How about build a plywood ramp to meet the skid. Then using three or four round pipe under your machine roll it off. You can easily use a long pipe or pry bar to lift the machine to get the pipes under the machine. Just remember to hang on.

Andy

Bingo, that's what I do for most peices of machinery...............Rod.

Jim Matthews
02-26-2013, 10:21 AM
I'm with Rod, think like an Egyptian architect.

Simple machines work best.
If you must complicate this, four deflated lawn tractor tires with two by four spars under the access points can be inflated to raise the
machine off the pallet. You'll need clearance to slide the pallet clear.

I like the blocking and cribbing method (http://cnaconstruction.puresafety.com/Ondemand/Home/Training/2090/blocking-and-cribbing-for-heavy-equipment-cna-ps4-elesson), which relies on a long lever to raise or lower the equipment.

I do NOT recommend using an overhead hoist on an exposed I steel I beam that is a structural component for your building.
These are not designed for dynamic loads, and the results can be catastrophic.

As with any heavy move, make certain you have an escape route.
Even if you don't have someone helping you, someone needs to be around to call for help if you're pinned.

I like to use two straps for any heavy move, so that one can be loosened for moving the gear
and the other can be a stop to prevent a free fall.

Steve Milito
02-26-2013, 10:27 AM
I do NOT recommend using an overhead hoist on an exposed I steel I beam that is a structural component for your building.
These are not designed for dynamic loads, and the results can be catastrophic.

In my case, the I beam is one of several 12" beams(maybe 6) that support a second floor three car garage.
They clearly are designed for a live load.

Brett Bobo
02-26-2013, 11:11 AM
Thanks for the responses so far. I failed to mention that the piece of equipment is a jointer and after some inspection last night, there is no gap around the perimeter of the base where it meets the pallet, which eliminates being able to access the underside of the machine for easy lifting.

I considered the frame and jack idea but I'm concerned about over-stressing the infeed and outfeed tables since the 4x blocking would located underneath the each table where the tables meet the base. Also, the ramp idea makes sense but even at a shallow slope, I'd have to resist the momentum, even though it's likely small, of the machine.

The Rolalift, tow truck, piano dolley, etc. might work but I'd prefer to have two tow trucks with one on the front of the machine and one on the back. In that case, the pallet would be in the way of inserting one tow truck, either on the front or the back. In other words, I could possibly man handle the machine enough to walk it to one edge of the pallet but then there's even more limited access on the opposite side. Maybe only one tow truck would be needed but I'd be concerned about lowering it down easily enough to avoid slamming it down.

The other half of the equation is that the jointer will need to be moved to its resting spot, which is exactly where the pallet is located currently. So, it'll be offloading the jointer from the pallet to then moving the jointer to the final spot.

Jim, by the way, your captions on your pictures had me laughing!

John W Johnson
02-26-2013, 11:49 AM
Bingo, that's what I do for most peices of machinery...............Rod.

I used the ramp method for two half ton machines recently. I used 3/4" pipes for the first but had secured a pallet jack for the second. I also took an old rubber floor mat and laid it on the ramp to get a little more control. It bunched up a little at the end of each move, but I never felt either machine was in an unsafe position. In fact I had to drag the machine with the pipes the last little bit off the ramp.

Brett Bobo
02-26-2013, 12:19 PM
The ramp option seems to be popular so could you explain this further with the pipes and pallet jack? I get the concept but maybe someone has some photos of the process, which would help.

Also, does it make sense to put the machine on a mobile base? This may pose a new set of challenges. As mentioned before, I'll need to move it to its final spot and for future mobility, maybe it makes sense to do that now.

John Piwaron
02-26-2013, 1:39 PM
I can't see the pix or videos since I am in a country that CLOSELY monitors/sensors the internet.

Youtube is tabu here.

Your header indicates Ohio. Being in Ohio is like being in a foreign nation? :)

John W Johnson
02-26-2013, 2:18 PM
The ramp option seems to be popular so could you explain this further with the pipes and pallet jack? I get the concept but maybe someone has some photos of the process, which would help.

Also, does it make sense to put the machine on a mobile base? This may pose a new set of challenges. As mentioned before, I'll need to move it to its final spot and for future mobility, maybe it makes sense to do that now.

I made my ramp from the offcut of an old pallet, just cut the top slats off even with one of the support pieces. I guess it was about 20" long and the width of the pallet. I screwed the ramp to the pallet, and laid one end of the rubber floor mat across the ramp. I levered up one end of the tool with a 2x3 and laid in the first pipe section, did the same for the middle and back. Then moved the pipe pieces to the front as I rolled down the ramp, keeping hand pressure on the front of the tool. It was a little nerve wracking, particularly at the edge of the ramp, but went okay. I thnk the rubber mat was a key to keeping it moving at a managable pace. The pallet jack move was a snap, used the same ramp and mat. Just jack the tool up fairly high, 3-4" maybe, to account for leveling the load out at the floor, center the weight and roll it down.

Having said all that make sure you have a spot to bail out if that thing starts moving too fast. I ended up almost boxed in on my first try with the pipes, but I had to drag it the last foot or so anyway so I guess I got lucky.

Mark W Pugh
02-26-2013, 3:16 PM
Your header indicates Ohio. Being in Ohio is like being in a foreign nation? :)

Where I live is a fine small place, but at lest there's nothing to do!:D

Steve Milito
02-26-2013, 3:36 PM
Try to Google "unloading gun safes from pallet", Here are a few I found. Now, I can't see the pix or videos since I am in a country that CLOSELY monitors/sensors the internet.

http://www.deansafe.com/gun-safe-moving-pallet-removing-and-leveling.html

http://www.youtube.com/embed/AISvq7F6DVg?rel=0&autoplay=1&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01

Youtube is tabu here.

Single individuals have been unloading REALLY big safes for a long time. I know I've seen some fantastic videos on the net of how to. Good luck.

I wouldn't want to try that with my safe. It's a TL-30 rated safe with 2 hour fire rating. Last I remember it weighs 2800lbs and is only 36" wide.

Tony Leonard
02-26-2013, 4:20 PM
Not sure this will help because the PM200 has wheels, but here is my ramp...

http://www.paintandsawdust.com/pm2000.htm

You might could jack it up and put wheels under it, then go down a ramp. Don't forget momentum....its a dangerous thing!
Tony

Jim Finn
02-26-2013, 5:41 PM
My father bought a 1000 pound sheet metal brake in 1947. Left it on the "Pallet" (Two 12' long 4x4's) When we sold it in 1996 it was still on that same "Pallet". Worked well and was easy to move a few times , over the years, using pipes to roll it on.

Jim Matthews
02-26-2013, 6:10 PM
Depending on the weight you have considered suspending from this, the use of a chainfall might make sense.

Being cautious, I would want to know what the carrying capacity of a beam.
Truth be told, I haven't heard of anyone pulling down a building recently - but your scenario gives me pause.

Tom Fischer
02-26-2013, 6:19 PM
I have everything pushed into the garage (pallet jack, truck bed, etc)
Have a 2 ton chain hoist in the ceiling of the garage.
Originally set it up to change blades on my Lastec 3696 (http://www.lastec.com/lastec2/Products/ZeroTurnMowers/369696Cut.aspx)
Will pick up anything.

Brett Bobo
02-26-2013, 6:31 PM
Tony,
How is your chain hoist connected to the ceiling, i.e. what are the connection details? When you perform a lift, do you use 2 ton rated nylon strapping or chain around the machine and hooked to the chain hoist?

phil harold
02-26-2013, 7:06 PM
cribbing and rocking it back and forth

an example just do it in reverse
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRRDzFROMx0