PDA

View Full Version : Lyre

David DeCristoforo
02-25-2013, 4:42 PM
The question of where an idea or "inspiration" comes from arrises frequently. My last turning was "inspired" by a chess piece. This one, while an "obvious continuation", came in a dream. Sounds good, right? Well don't get too excited because the dream was not what you might think. I was actually dreaming about my junior high school days (pleeeease don't ask why!) and my desire to study music. Due to overwhelming demand, the only class I could get was "band". And due again to overwhelming demand, the only instrument I could get my hands on was a trombone. And that meant (yecch) band as in "marching band". I was an abysmal failure at both marching and playing the trombone. But, in my dream, there was that little lyre shaped music holder attached to trombone. Only in the dream it was attached to the sliding part of the trombone so that every time I tried to play a note it would move closer or farther away and it was driving me crazy. That might even have really happened which would explain a lot. But afterwards, I kept thinking about that lyre shape and I still wanted to play around with that carved finial thing. So this is what came of it. The body is claro walnut which used to be my favorite wood before I discovered rosewood. the topper is ebony. 5" X 9"

Alan Trout
02-25-2013, 6:11 PM
David,

That is a cool piece, As always you transition between elements is perfect and I like the direction your carved finials are going.

Alan

Steve bellinger
02-25-2013, 6:23 PM
David that is a really cool finial, and a really great looking form it's sitting on. Great job as always man.

Dennis Ford
02-25-2013, 7:26 PM
Very nice; like Allan, I noticed the perfect transition from vessel to finial and the nice form of the vessel. I like the finial, it is attractive without being overpowering.

Dennis Nagle
02-25-2013, 8:01 PM
Help me out here, that is hollow??? How small is the hole you worked through? Beautiful work.

jwjerry w kowalski
02-25-2013, 8:10 PM
Man, that is beautiful, everything you do looks unbelievably perfect to me. I like the finial and everything else about it, I'm wondering if you hollowed it out from the bottom, that's an awfully small opening at the top to hollow out from. The wood looks finished to perfection too, I'm dumbfounded.

David DeCristoforo
02-25-2013, 9:18 PM
Thanx for the comments. Yes, it is hollowed with a wall thickness of about 3/16". The entry hole was 5/8". I have some Sorby tools that have 3/8" bars which I adapted to fit my monster articulated unit. No problems with a form of this size.

Roger Chandler
02-25-2013, 10:45 PM
I came back tonight and had to look at this one a second time.....what a beautifully grained piece of claro........wonderfully sculpted with flowing curves....even the curve up the shoulder to the finial is one that gives the piece a sense of movement, and then the grain does the same.......the finial is well done, David........a duet of parts, both harmoniously complementing one another to make a statement greater than either individual piece could solo.......a melodious opus of design and beauty, that begs for the eye of the viewer to caress it's flowing form and beautiful grain and thoughtful contrast of color...........a true symphony to the senses!

Artfully done, David.......congratulations on a fine piece!

Bernie Weishapl
02-25-2013, 10:52 PM
Beautiful finial David as is the piece. Wood has some great grain and your form sure brings it out.

Kathy Marshall
02-25-2013, 11:51 PM
Beautiful piece David! It's all been said already, great form, wood and transitions and I really like your finial. I think it fits very well with the form.

Bill Hensley
02-26-2013, 6:47 AM
Beautiful, just beautiful, nuff said

Faust M. Ruggiero
02-26-2013, 7:47 AM
Love it!
faust

Jack Epperson
02-26-2013, 8:09 AM
Good looking piece.

Jerry Marcantel
02-26-2013, 8:22 AM
If I was to say what my first thoughts were, I would only be repeating what others have already said. So, without repeating others words, I'm going to say, You did splended job on a 2 well defined peices of wood and your artistic enterpretation is superb... ........Jerry (in Tucson)

Maria Alvarado
02-26-2013, 9:21 AM
Has anyone used "stunning" yet? Really inspirational work, David. The finial is fabulous and very well named. I like the satin finish as well. With that claro, I expect most (including myself) would be tempted to go glossy, but I think that would have detracted from the overall beauty of the piece.

David DeCristoforo
02-26-2013, 1:16 PM
OK... from now on, I want Roger to write all the reviews of my pieces...

steven carter
02-26-2013, 1:21 PM
David, this is a beautiful piece of wood, and it seems very unusual to me, but I would be a liar if I said I didn't love the lyre!

Roger Chandler
02-26-2013, 2:28 PM
OK... from now on, I want Roger to write all the reviews of my pieces...

David................:D:D:D.......I just thought I would keep in theme of your music references.......that coming from a guy who used to play trumpet, but kind of lost my lip over the years! :rolleyes::D

Tim Rinehart
02-26-2013, 4:22 PM
I came back tonight and had to look at this one a second time.....what a beautifully grained piece of claro........wonderfully sculpted with flowing curves....even the curve up the shoulder to the finial is one that gives the piece a sense of movement, and then the grain does the same.......the finial is well done, David........a duet of parts, both harmoniously complementing one another to make a statement greater than either individual piece could solo.......a melodious opus of design and beauty, that begs for the eye of the viewer to caress it's flowing form and beautiful grain and thoughtful contrast of color...........a true symphony to the senses!

Artfully done, David.......congratulations on a fine piece!

What he said.

Oh...I don't blame you on wanting only Roger to review from now on...who wouldn't!!
Ok...truth is...you nailed a beautiful piece here David...and Roger was well composed enough to pick his jaw back up and articulate feelings and impressions on this piece.

Brian Kent
02-26-2013, 5:04 PM
I especially love it with the story.
David, is there any context to see your pieces in Southern California?
Is there a gallery or display that happens here, so I don't have to drive 7 hours and 18 minutes to see one in person?

David DeCristoforo
02-26-2013, 5:40 PM
"...is there any context to see your pieces in Southern California..."

Not at this time. I had some pieces in delMano gallery for a very short time but it was right before they blew up and it would appear I was lucky in that I got my stuff back. I have had precious little time to look for galleries, especially since I would rather spend the time I do get making stuff.

Brian Kent
02-26-2013, 6:46 PM
Well then sometime when I drive through Davis (last time was about 1993) I'll honk 3 times and you can hold one of your pieces up to the front window ;).