PDA

View Full Version : Epoxy plus ? to repair a stem

Brian Kent
02-25-2013, 1:35 PM
This is some Eucalyptus that had a nice little pocket that broke out of the stem. I would like to repair it as a learning exercise.

I assume epoxy is what I want to use. I can use packing tape to hold the shape while it hardens. Is there anything I could add to the epoxy to make it look ok, either to blend it or to contrast.

Right now the wood inside the break is a beautiful garnet color. I assume it will turn brown, but I don't know.

This is wet eucalyptus. No loss if I have to toss it, but I want to use this as a learning exercise.

Thanks,
Brian

David Gilbert
02-25-2013, 5:26 PM
As an experiment, I would suggest using some of the dust and chips from the goblet. Mix it all together and cover the entire stem. If you use five minute epoxy you may not need to wrap it in tape since it will harden up quickly. Then after 24 hours, you can re-turn the stem. My guess is that you will see it but others may not. Once it is done, be sure to share a photo with us.

Good luck,

Cheers,
David

Brian Kent
02-25-2013, 5:35 PM
Good idea, David. I had thought about filling the area but not covering the stem.

Jim Burr
02-25-2013, 6:03 PM
Why not some Pearl-ex or something fun other than sawdust?

Brian Kent
02-25-2013, 6:37 PM
Why not some Pearl-ex or something fun other than sawdust?

Is that something I would know about if I did pens? What is Pearl-ex?

Joe Ruden
02-25-2013, 7:31 PM
It is a powdered pigment I use for casting blanks. You used to be able to get it from Hobby Lobby.

Lloyd Keniston
02-25-2013, 7:34 PM
Here you go Brian...
http://www.jacquardproducts.com/pearl-ex-pigments.html

Timothy Mann
02-25-2013, 7:56 PM
Thats a shame it broke Brian it looks like you had a nice goblet going there.

Thom Sturgill
02-25-2013, 10:07 PM
As an alternative, cut the stem out, and replace the center section with a contrasting wood. then re-turn the goblet to blend the stem in.

Either use snmall mortice/tenons in the center section or drill small holes in all three pieces and insert small brass rods as a re-enforcement of the connecting joint. Glue the brass in with either epoxy or CA glue, the tenons could use titebond. I have done this with ebony stems in burl goblets with a burl base, and with rosewood or bubinga stems with curly maple bells.

This is also a good learning experience and might make this a better goblet, though it looks like it would have been a nice one before.