PDA

View Full Version : Corel X5 issues

Martin Boekers
02-25-2013, 1:34 PM
I am running X5 on a couple computers (32 bit). On start-up on one computer it gets to "loading User settings" then locks up.

I have tried repair, uninstall and re-installed to no avail....

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Ronald Erickson
02-25-2013, 1:55 PM
Have you tried holding the function key F8 when you click open the application? That will overwrite the workspace with the factory default settings.

Martin Boekers
02-25-2013, 2:08 PM
Yes, I tried that, PP won't open by itself either...

Martin Boekers
02-25-2013, 2:51 PM
I installed a previous version I had, 12 and it works. I still need to figure out why 12 works but X5 doesn't???

Mike Chance in Iowa
02-25-2013, 3:19 PM
When you uninstalled Corel, did you delete the remaining files?

One thing you could try, since it's already clobbered, is to copy your workspace settings from a good computer and overwrite them on the bad computer. Depending upon which OS you are using, I would start with files located in {user}\Application Data\Corel\CorelDraw\Draw\Workspace\ and see if that gets you working again.

ver 12 is quite a bit different then the newer versions. It uses different files.

Walt Langhans
02-26-2013, 12:08 AM
Mike is heading down the right trail. In short, when you uninstall a program there is usually pieces of it still left on your computer, and when you re-install it the programs sees those pieces there and does not write over them and if that's what is corrupt you still have the same issue.

If that fix didn't work, you should try posting your problem over on the Corel forum to see if they have a fix. If not you only have 2 other options. Go in to the computer registry and try to remove any remnants of the program and then re-install it. HOWEVER, if you don't know what you are doing or looking for this is VERY dangerous and could end up causing you computer to no longer work. OR, you can re-install your operating system and reformat you hard drive, although a , it's the safest and most sure fire solution (assuming nothing else has worked)

Martin Boekers
02-26-2013, 3:50 PM
Thanks for the input guys! I know better than to mess with registries........ :)

I finally decided to add a new user to to that computer. That worked! Then I had to move the files from
the "Bad" desktop to the new one, maybe not the best solution, but by far the easiest!

Marty