PDA

View Full Version : Red dot replacement

Walt Langhans
02-25-2013, 1:21 PM
Hi all. I The wiring for my red dot came loose and in the process of fixing it, I killed it dead. Anyone know where I can get a new one?

Thanks

Mark Sipes
02-25-2013, 5:55 PM
Define killed.

Shorted out, wired backward, smashed

New. http://www.yourlasers.com/product/2012-hot-sale-5mw-650nm-red-laser-module-with-dot-shape-laser-diode-32152

specs

http://en.shenhuilaser.com/

Greg Holt
02-25-2013, 7:24 PM
http://dx.com/p/red-laser-module-focusable-dot-3-5v-4-5v-16mm-5mw-5914

Rich Harman
02-25-2013, 7:37 PM
Search eBay for "laser module" you can get 60 of them for under $20 or 10 for less than $3.

Gary Hair
02-25-2013, 8:30 PM
Search eBay for "laser module" you can get 60 of them for under $20 or 10 for less than $3.

Just don't expect them to point anywhere near where you might want it to... I had a project that was going to use about 100 pointers - I ordered in about 10 different pointers and diodes from 10 different vendors - they were all crap. You could roll them on a flat surface and the beam would draw a circle with a diameter of anywhere from 2-3" up to 10-12" and that was from about 4' away. Nothing close to what you would need for use with a laser. Spend a bit more and get one from the mfg. The one in the link above was not bad, but still not that great. The one on that same site that are $1.60 each were the worst - I'm guessing by the look of them that they are from the same mfg as the ones I bought.

Gary

Deane Donaghy
02-25-2013, 10:29 PM
Well I got two red dot lasers from Ebay, cost me about $10 shipped. They are only 5volt, so I wired them into the USB power rail, too easy. They will project a 10 mm red dot about 10 metres onto a wall and have focus adjustment. Vendor wanted $100 extra for red dot, DIY cost me less than $15 and a little bit of time.

Walt Langhans
02-25-2013, 11:57 PM
Thanks guys! The link Greg put up has a brass one that looks like mine.

@Mark killed = I didn't find a short where they had soldered the wire to the pointer, and the pointer unscrewed so I unscrewed it to check inside there was a supper small circuit board that had the wires coming in from power source and then out to the LED. In the attempt to get a better look at it, I pulled to hard and the wire from the board to the LED broke. They where at most 3mm long and not much wider than a hair. No way for me to repair that.

Rich Harman
02-26-2013, 2:44 AM
Just don't expect them to point anywhere near where you might want it to...

It's true that they seldom point perfectly straight but in the case of the red dots that are mounted on the laser head it is not an issue at all.

Bruce Dorworth
02-26-2013, 3:06 AM
I purchased my laser with the Red dot laser attached to the side of the laser tube. The mount is somewhat loose and it changes often. I would now like to switch it to pointing through the laser. Does anyone know how to do this ... where the red dot laser is located so it points through the laser? Pictures would help. I talked to the manufacture, but they said it is to hard. They have to take off the top of the laser when they manufacture it to install red dot laser. I can take off the top of the laser what's the problem??

Thanks,
Bruce

Walt Langhans
02-26-2013, 8:37 AM
The mount is somewhat loose and it changes often.

Nothing for nothing, but wouldn't it be easier to fix the mount or make a new one?

Bruce Dorworth
02-26-2013, 11:32 AM
Walt, I don't understand nothing for nothing..

Bruce

Walt Langhans
02-26-2013, 11:48 AM
Walt, I don't understand nothing for nothing..

Bruce

It means it's unsolicited advice / idea and there for probably not worth much if anything. :)

Bruce Dorworth
02-26-2013, 5:39 PM
Walt, your advise is very valuable.. My first laser had the red dot through the lens. Then I dead in a few places that this could possibly interfere with the laser beam. For that reason when I bought this one I got the external one. Now I wished I had gotten the through the lens model and I could just put a switch in to turn it off while run the laser. I probably end up as you say building a better mount.

Thanks,
Bruce

Walt Langhans
02-27-2013, 9:26 AM
Walt, your advise is very valuable..

Thanks Bruce. I'm still very new to laser game so I try to keep it simple since that's worked for me the past.

Rodne Gold
02-27-2013, 10:21 AM
You can easily retrofit a thru the lens system , ask G Weike for the 1/2 silvered mirror and mount. it goes between the tube output and 1st mirror. We removed them on my shenhuis, I didn't like the laser beam going thru this system and on one of my lasers , something seemed to be hitting or spattering on the red diode lens and it kept on getting damaged and making the red beam useless.