PDA

View Full Version : 21st Anniversary

Fred LeBail
05-05-2005, 5:20 PM
gift to LOML. This a Ambrosia maple bowl that I turned from one of the blanks from Jim Ketron. It has been a while getting turned but the timming was right for the occasion. I could not believe how easy it turned when it was green,almost had to hold back on the chisel. I was afraid I had turned the walls too thin before the alky soak and drying, but I guess not.
Not sure if I like the Tung oil treatment or not, seems to be a little blahh.

I would appreciate your opinion, Thanks

P.S. She loves it !!!

Jim Ketron
05-05-2005, 5:40 PM
Nice Job Fred!
It turned out beautiful and Im glad you both love it and especially her being her anniversary gift. I have enjoyed seeing all the bowls that have come from this tree, and your blank shipped farther than any other one that I sold.
Overall I think this bowl looks Great nice finish and form!
Jim

Dick Parr
05-05-2005, 5:53 PM
Very nice bowl Fred, that ambrosia sure is pretty. I still have two more blanks left that I got from Jim and need to decide what to do with them soon.

Again, really nice bowl. :)

Glenn Hodges
05-05-2005, 6:22 PM
Fred, it looks mighty fine to me.

Jackie Outten
05-05-2005, 7:31 PM
Fred,

The bowl is beautiful. I can see why your wife loves it. Congratulations to you both on your 21st anniversary.

Jackie

Earl Eyre
05-06-2005, 1:52 AM
The bowl is very nice, Fred. I like it. Concerning tung oil...I have used it for almost all of the furniture I have built over the past 30 years. I love the soft, hand rubbed look it gives. So I have tried it repeatedly on bowls and I have never been happy with it. It does look blah. I've always ended up letting it dry real well, then adding a top coat of lacquer, either semi-gloss or gloss depending on the look I'm after. It improves the look 100%. Or if the bowl is going to be used I use one of the salad bowl finishes.

But you do have a nice bowl!
Earl

Jeff Sudmeier
05-06-2005, 8:41 AM
Fred, that bowl looks great! I have yet to try turning bowls, but all of these posts keep making me want to try!

Ken Fitzgerald
05-06-2005, 8:46 AM
Nice bowl....I like the form and the figure in the wood and Congrats on the anniversary!