PDA

View Full Version : Can I see some pics of your workbenches?

Bill Wyko
02-25-2013, 11:34 AM
I've started building my version of Lon Schleining's workbench but I'd like to see any unique (or not so unique) things you all have done to your workbenches to make your life a little easier.

John Lanciani
02-25-2013, 12:00 PM
7' long, 28" deep, 38" tall and the top is 4" thick. Leftie configuration.

Bill Wyko
02-25-2013, 12:13 PM
Very nice, how do you like the twin mounted to the front? I'm considering using a twin on the front too.

John Lanciani
02-25-2013, 12:53 PM
I like it a lot. The jaw is 36" wide and the front apron and jaw are 8" tall so it's pretty massive. The one thing I did that is not reflected in the pic is that I removed the left handle and mounting hardware and I just use the single handle on the right to open and close. The ability to skew the jaw is a feature that I've not needed (yet). One of my favorite things about this bench is how solid it is. It's all hard maple and roughly 400lbs. Additionally, the 2" x 8" front apron has zero flex so I can pound away anywhere on the top with no spring.

I am 90% happy with the split top, it solves a lot of problems for me, I just need to make a filler for the other 10% of the time.

Dick Mahany
02-25-2013, 12:59 PM
Here's mine. I cobbled together a bunch of ideas that seemed like they would work for me as I do a little of everything, so I needed versatility. It is a compromise, but works. As far as the center tool till, I love it one day and curse it the next. If I ever built another one, I would eliminate it and possibly add a removable one mounted to the rear. 30" x 65". This pic was taken before I plugged the 4 top mounting holes for the front vise with maple plugs. The top is simply a prefab butcher block that I ripped in half and the skirted the periphery, so it's only about 2" thick through out the field, but plenty good for what I do.

Jim Kirkpatrick
02-25-2013, 1:54 PM
My Benchcrafted Roubo. Made with 8/4 ash

Stew Hagerty
02-25-2013, 2:44 PM
I inherited mine from my father-in-law. The frame is oak and the top is 2 1/2" thick hard maple. So far I have modified the face vise so that it is flush mounted to the face of the bench. I remade the chops using some rock hard 8/4 Jatoba that I had left over from a project.

Next, I want to swap out the tail vise for a Benchcrafted "wagon vise". I also have been thinking of rebuilding the drawer section. The current drawers work well, but I think that larger ones would suit my needs better.

This is the bench as I got it.

Here it is in place in my shop. Notice that it is against the wall, but I have it sitting on a mobile base so that I can move it around if I want to be able to access all sides.

Here are a couple photos of my face vise modification.

And finally, this is my existing tail vise.

John Donofrio
02-25-2013, 3:05 PM
Southern Yellow Pine with red oak deadman, parallel guide and stop gap

Paul Saffold
02-25-2013, 3:34 PM
A good place to look is in the "Stickies" on the first page of the neander section. Look at "Neanderthal wisdom/FAQ" and scroll down to "work benches". Lots to choose from.

David Nelson1
02-25-2013, 7:49 PM
Here is the one I'm planning and will be starting very soon.

Bill Wyko
02-25-2013, 8:21 PM
WOW everyone, some superb workbenches for sure. I've got 1/2 of my top glued up and the legs & short stretchers glued up. The only 8/4 lumber I had was some curly Maple & some Bubinga. I'm using the curly maple for the base and the Bubinga for the skirt around the top. The center of the top is hard maple. I ran out of material for now & woodworkers source is out too. Maybe next weekend I can get more done. Keep em coming everyone.

Donny Lawson
02-25-2013, 9:14 PM
OK, you wanted "Unique" and different well this will fit the bill. I made 1 of these and I liked it so much I had to make another one. It's a side by side refridgerator. It was gutted inside and underneath. Some shelves was added to the metal brackets on the bottom, and 3/4" plywood was added to the top. I added rollers to the bottom and it is a great bench. I think I have about 30 bucks in it. What do you think. Unique or what??

Rich Riddle
02-25-2013, 9:33 PM
Not a pretty picture, but I use this bench nearly every day, many times for hours at a time. The left 4' section is an avionics bench used for electronics, very strong. To the right is an "add on" about seven feet wide and three full feet deep. The right side of the add-on has legs and a shelf, but the left side is bolted into the metal avionics bench. This year, I hope to change the add-on to a new free-standing bench but likely will keep it in the same spot and the same dimensions. This bench leaves me room to be considered for the category of "most likely to be most improved."

Michael Peet
02-25-2013, 9:37 PM
Here's mine, an ash Roubo with Benchcrafted vises. I've been using it now for almost two years and I love it.

Build thread here: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?163291-My-Roubo-Build

Mike

Rick Fisher
02-25-2013, 9:51 PM
http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m455/jokerbird_photo/P1170991-1_zpscd632437.jpg

3" Eastern Maple Top... Drawers are Wenge and Sapelli left overs..

I find the drawer space invaluable..

Lornie McCullough
02-26-2013, 1:34 PM
OK, you wanted "Unique" . What do you think. Unique or what??

I love it!! That is 'post-industrial recycling' at its best!

Lornie

Gary Pennington
02-26-2013, 10:14 PM
Bill,
Here's a couple cell phone pics of my take on Lon Schleining's plans. It's red oak with a butcher block top about 2 1/2" thick 27 deep X 72" long with a 6" apron. There's 2 rows of dog holes in line with the front vise and a single row along the front, planning to add a second parallel row. I used undermount slides on the drawers--would NOT do that again due to the loss of depth inside the drawers. This is my first real bench, other than the shallow drawers I love it.

Dave Cav
02-26-2013, 11:30 PM
Here's mine. Ash top, alder legs, maple deadman. Behind it is my other "workbench"/assembly table. It's 4 x 8, torsion box top, with sheet goods storage below.

Bill Wyko
02-27-2013, 2:29 AM
I must say, I'm extremely impressed!! Well done everyone. So many ideas now that I have to figure a way to impliment. I have one question for the refridgerator bench though, will it still keep a cold beverage for the end of a hard days work? Definitily the first one I've ever seen. Again, all of the benches you guys posted are excellent examples of creative, very usable, quality work benches. I can't wait for Woodworkers Source to restock their hard maple this Friday so I can continue my build. Keep em coming my friends, these are great.

Stew Hagerty
02-27-2013, 10:35 AM
OK, you wanted "Unique" and different well this will fit the bill. I made 1 of these and I liked it so much I had to make another one. It's a side by side refridgerator. It was gutted inside and underneath. Some shelves was added to the metal brackets on the bottom, and 3/4" plywood was added to the top. I added rollers to the bottom and it is a great bench. I think I have about 30 bucks in it. What do you think. Unique or what??

Unique is an understatement. Hey, if it works that is all that really matters isn't it. You get an A for ingenuity and creativity.

Stew Hagerty
02-27-2013, 10:36 AM
3" Eastern Maple Top... Drawers are Wenge and Sapelli left overs..

I find the drawer space invaluable..

Very nice Rick!!!

Stew Hagerty
02-27-2013, 10:44 AM
Bill,
Here's a couple cell phone pics of my take on Lon Schleining's plans. It's red oak with a butcher block top about 2 1/2" thick 27 deep X 72" long with a 6" apron. There's 2 rows of dog holes in line with the front vise and a single row along the front, planning to add a second parallel row. I used undermount slides on the drawers--would NOT do that again due to the loss of depth inside the drawers. This is my first real bench, other than the shallow drawers I love it.

Gary, that is a gorgeous bench! Do you regret not putting in a tail or wagon vise? I see that you are using a Bench Pup. I use the "Pups" a lot and also one of their Surface Vises. They work pretty well most of the time, but I have been thinking of retrofitting a Benchcrafted Wagon Vise. I have a tail vise, but I don't like that the whole thing moves in and out (I have cabinet very close to the end of my bench) and of course there is the racking that I always have to compensate for.

Bill Wyko
02-27-2013, 11:35 AM
I have one more question, doors or drawers? For those that did doors would you have done drawers? and the opposite to those that did drawers, would you have done doors? Or... a combination of both?

Brett Bobo
02-27-2013, 11:41 AM
Bill,
I built the the same bench from Lon's plans several years back with a few modifications. Instead of the wedged mortise and tenon joints on the stretchers for the legs, I pegged them at the stretcher to leg connection and at the leg to base connection. Also, I used finger joints on the connections of the aprons instead of dovetails. I know I lengthened and widened the top (and base to accommodate the additional length and width) and if I recall correctly, I think I widened the aprons and vice jaws too. Finally, I'm in the boat of never having too many dog holes so I added another row or two as well. Good luck!

Kelby Van Patten
02-27-2013, 11:56 AM
Here's mine. Maple and walnut. These pics are when it was new; it's more "broken in" now. :)255569255570255571

Alan Schaffter
02-27-2013, 12:01 PM
I started with some basics from the Lon Schleining bench but then, because I had special requirements and wasn't sure how high it should be, I made it adjustable. The 2-3/4" thick top, aprons, and vise faces are hard maple, the trestle base and stretchers are beech. It works extremely well and I am very pleased with it. Here is a link to a video tour of it. (http://www.americanwoodworker.tv/videos/5058_adjustable-height-workbench/)

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/data/1463/medium/IMG_2931.jpg

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/data/1463/medium/IMG_2934.jpg

Gary Crompton
02-27-2013, 1:42 PM
I think they all show great skills, and Donny shows what is possible if you put your mind to it. I also think he wins the award for the most green work bench! Nice job all.

Dick Mahany
02-27-2013, 3:08 PM
I have one more question, doors or drawers? For those that did doors would you have done drawers? and the opposite to those that did drawers, would you have done doors? Or... a combination of both?

I did drawers and wouldn't change a thing. For me the thought of having to bend down to look behind doors under an overhanging top is cumbersome. Even if I did have doors, I'm sure that I would have added roll out shelves within them.

Bill Wyko
02-27-2013, 3:56 PM
Man my jaw just keeps hitting the floor. Love that big, single dovetail. I've been practicing my hand cut DT in hopes of doing them on mine. Unfortunately I'm just not there yet. any advise you guys might have as to how to do these big DT's accurately? Every video I seem to find is all about how fast someone is and they are usually doing it in 3/4" pine. Hand them a couple pieces of 8/4 Bubinga and then we can really see if they are skilled. I also have to say, the adjustable height
mechanism is an awesome feature, very well done.

Dick, you make a very valid point, I think I'll do drawers when the time comes.

Alan Schaffter
02-27-2013, 4:34 PM
Man my jaw just keeps hitting the floor. Love that big, single dovetail. I've been practicing my hand cut DT in hopes of doing them on mine. Unfortunately I'm just not there yet. any advise you guys might have as to how to do these big DT's accurately? Every video I seem to find is all about how fast someone is and they are usually doing it in 3/4" pine. Hand them a couple pieces of 8/4 Bubinga and then we can really see if they are skilled. I also have to say, the adjustable height
mechanism is an awesome feature, very well done.

Dick, you make a very valid point, I think I'll do drawers when the time comes.

Remember, the side aprons are extremely strong long grain-long grain glue-ups and end aprons must float. If you analyze the forces on the bench and how end vise hardware is attached, you'll realize that the massive and elaborate half blind dovetails and box joints at the corners joining the side to end aprons, aren't needed for strength. They are mainly decorative!! In reality you can achieve the all the strength need with a rabbeted joint and very shallow dovetails (for appearance if you want them)!! At least one corner joint must be left un-glued and the end aprons must be allowed to float to allow for seasonal movement of the top. By the way I used a method to securely attach my end aprons that results in no bolts heads or plugs visible, yet the aprons can be tightened if necessary.

By the way, the geometry of my DT's is terrible.

Kelby Van Patten
02-27-2013, 6:01 PM
Bill, it's been many years since I did mine, but here is my vague memory of how I approached it. First, I glued up all the maple pieces for the top except for the outer piece on each side (which would be the front and back of the bench). I used a handplane to get them close to flat. I then glued up the walnut endpiece that goes at the far left and right of the slab. I used two or three lag bolts to bolt the endpieces to the maple top. (On the edge of the walnut that mates to the maple, I bored out the hole for the lag bolts a couple inches so that there is plenty of room for the bolts to bend as the maple top moves with moisture changes.) Next, I unbolted the walnut ends so that I could cut the dovetails. I began by cutting the tails into the outer pieces of maple (I believe it was 1" thick) that goes on the front and back of the top. The big tail on each end of each of those maple pieces were cut with a handsaw. I then used the already-cut tails to scribe the pattern onto the walnut. I used a router with a straight bit set at 1-1/2" deep or so to hog out most of the waste for the pins, leaving extra space in the pin for wood movement. I then cleaned up the pins with a chisel. I bolted the walnut back onto the maple top, and then glued the outer pieces of maple to the maple top while fitting them into the walnut tails. There is no glue in the dovetail joint, as that would preclude wood movement. However, even without glue, the 1" thick massive maple dovetail ensures that the walnut stays where it belongs, while allowing the top to expand and contract. After the joinery was complete, I secured the top to the base with a couple lag bolts and used a jack plane to finish getting the top flat. IMHO, every woodworker would do well to build their own bench and router table when they are starting out. If a person does their research and really puts in an effort, those two projects will teach a person nearly everything they need to know to go a long way in woodworking.

Paul Cahill
02-27-2013, 7:27 PM
Here is another one to add to the list. It is much simpler than some of the masterpieces already posted, but wonderfully functional none-the-less. Nothing unique about it either, but it is a delight to use.

Paul

David Nelson1
02-27-2013, 7:48 PM
Drawers would be my preference. Doors get in the way when opened plus what's in side a shelf? NOt enough storage for smaller tools file chisels and what not.

Jim Kirkpatrick
02-27-2013, 7:57 PM
any advise you guys might have as to how to do these big DT's accurately?

Bill, Jameel wrote an excellent article on how to make condor dovetails using a bandsaw and router with pattern bit. It's in PWW August 2011 if you subscribe but here's a free preview:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/64142557/Condor-Tails

Mark W Pugh
02-27-2013, 10:00 PM
Or, take a look at this guy and save the wood.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL06ACC20F47E7FE39

Alan Schaffter
02-27-2013, 10:55 PM
Or, take a look at this guy and save the wood.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL06ACC20F47E7FE39

He spent many times what he saved on wood on Festools, a big resaw, etc.!

Julie Moriarty
02-27-2013, 11:02 PM
http://i867.photobucket.com/albums/ab233/jules42651/Woodworking/Tools/workbench_09_zpsf510497b.jpg

I bought the bench and made the drawers and dividers. I also added a tool slot on the back of the bench. There's another set of drawers under the third level that's the same size.

Jim Matthews
02-28-2013, 11:31 AM
Here is another one to add to the list. It is much simpler than some of the masterpieces already posted, but wonderfully functional none-the-less. Nothing unique about it either, but it is a delight to use.

Paul

This is what a bench should look like, Paul - you built it for use rather than display.
I'm always puzzled why someone would build something like this for a power tool shop.

These are glorified clamps, to hold workpieces.
If you're doing machine set ups, a Roubo derivative seems like overkill.

I think your bench epitomizes the OP's design question; it's built to suit your methods.

Jim Matthews
02-28-2013, 11:35 AM
+1 on drawers.

Easier to keep dust and shavings out, you can take the contents elsewhere - like a tray.
It's also easier to organize - if you're pulling things out to get at other items, they're surplus.

The only thing about drawers is the through holes in the bench top preclude storage at the top layer.
I'm converting mine to a saw till, oriented clear of the dog holes.

Jay Park
02-28-2013, 1:22 PM
Southern Yellow Pine with red oak deadman, parallel guide and stop gap

Gorgeous bench, I wish I could get SYP like that in Southern Cal.

Gary Pennington
02-28-2013, 1:41 PM
Gary, that is a gorgeous bench! Do you regret not putting in a tail or wagon vise? I see that you are using a Bench Pup. I use the "Pups" a lot and also one of their Surface Vises. They work pretty well most of the time, but I have been thinking of retrofitting a Benchcrafted Wagon Vise. I have a tail vise, but I don't like that the whole thing moves in and out (I have cabinet very close to the end of my bench) and of course there is the racking that I always have to compensate for.

Stew,
Thank you for the compliment. For the amount of hand work I'm doing it's OK, I also use a Veritas hold down in tandem with the pup. The Veritas surface vise looks interesting as does the the new pipe vise. As I do more hand tool work, I'll figure out the next step. I've been spoiled by the benches at Lie-Nielsen, attended a Chris Becksvoort workshop last year and are those LN benches ever a dream to work on.

g

Lornie McCullough
02-28-2013, 2:52 PM
I am more of a power tool woodworker, so my bench has twelve electrical receptacles..... the four you see here, four on the other long side, and two more on each end. It was a meat-cutters butcher table with the old top face-down, and the fresh bottom-side up. It measures 3ft x 8ft x 3 inches thick. I mounted a quick release vice to one short end (now temporarily holding a block for the magnifying light), but more importantly, left a six inch overhang all around so as to be able to clamp work to it anywhere.255661

Lornie

John Donofrio
02-28-2013, 3:18 PM
I am more of a power tool woodworker, so my bench has twelve electrical receptacles..... the four you see here, four on the other long side, and two more on each end. It was a meat-cutters butcher table with the old top face-down, and the fresh bottom-side up. It measures 3ft x 8ft x 3 inches thick. I mounted a quick release vice to one short end (now temporarily holding a block for the magnifying light), but more importantly, left a six inch overhang all around so as to be able to clamp work to it anywhere.255661

Lornie

Nice slab for the top! ...and an even nicer collection of routers, holy cow.

John Donofrio
02-28-2013, 3:28 PM
Gorgeous bench, I wish I could get SYP like that in Southern Cal.

Thanks Jay! I was at first worried that the SYP was going to be a bit too soft but I'm now comfortable with it and think it'll hold up fine over time. In case you're interested, the build thread is here: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?196969-Post-production-roubo-build-thread

Paul Cahill
02-28-2013, 3:40 PM
Thanks Jim.

Paul

John W Johnson
02-28-2013, 4:21 PM
I did drawers and wouldn't change a thing. For me the thought of having to bend down to look behind doors under an overhanging top is cumbersome. Even if I did have doors, I'm sure that I would have added roll out shelves within them.

That is exactly what I did. On my first bench I started out with two sets of narrow drawers and two doors. I copied something I'd seen at the local Woodcraft store, and it was a big mistake all the way around. I quickly added roll out shelves in the drawers. The space behind the doors is a lot more usable now. If I ever get around to adding storage under my newer Bench, I'll be sure to make the drawers much wider.

Lornie McCullough
02-28-2013, 4:37 PM
My other workbench was built from two bowling alley lane dividers255668mated together. It measures approx. 5ft x 7ft x 3 inches thick. Added a quick release vice and dog holes, and set the whole thing behind the table saw to double as off-feed table. The top overhangs the sides all the way around so I can clamp work to it anywhere.

I like using what I call 'post-industrial salvage'. Workbenches can come from anywhere in any shape or size.

Lornie

Bill Wyko
02-28-2013, 6:26 PM
All I can say is, you have all been an inspiration, thanks so much for all the pictures. Now for the bad news, the order of wood that came in at woodworkers source, didn't have any 8/4 hard maple.:mad: Now I have to wait another week for another delivery.

David Nelson1
02-28-2013, 7:39 PM
give ya plenty of time to play with Sketchup!

Bill Wyko
02-28-2013, 9:15 PM
I should have thought of Jameel, he has been an inspiration to my work in many ways. Thanks for the link.

Bill, Jameel wrote an excellent article on how to make condor dovetails using a bandsaw and router with pattern bit. It's in PWW August 2011 if you subscribe but here's a free preview:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/64142557/Condor-Tails

Bill Wyko
02-28-2013, 11:46 PM
Jim, I can't thank you enough. I downloaded the magazine, went out to the shop and knocked one out. I'm ready now.
Check it out. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?199788-Condor-tails-for-work-bench&p=2072301#post2072301

Pete Janke
03-01-2013, 1:03 AM
255695255696255697255698255699255700255701255694No thing too fancy, but very solid. Douglas fir 2x4s (top), 2x6s (stretchers) and 4x6s (legs). It has dog holes now (just no picture showing them). Mortise and tenon joinery in the base with pegged ends and through bolts holding the stretchers. Top is covered with screwed down laminate flooring and edged in poplar. The laminate is easy to replace and easy to scrape off paint and glue drops. The rectangular plate is for a Kreg hold down clamp. The front vise is a Rockler 9" quick release. The tail vise is the small Woodcraft kit model. Rockler work bench casters make it easy to move it around my garage.

Jim Matthews
03-01-2013, 8:11 AM
My other workbench was built from two bowling alley lane dividers255668mated together. It measures approx. 5ft x 7ft x 3 inches thick. Added a quick release vice and dog holes, and set the whole thing behind the table saw to double as off-feed table. The top overhangs the sides all the way around so I can clamp work to it anywhere.

I like using what I call 'post-industrial salvage'. Workbenches can come from anywhere in any shape or size.

Lornie

I think the curved overhangs are downright clever. I left the front "skirt" on my bench long, to the right.
That provides me a sort of "bird's mouth" overhang for fiddly small parts that I can't clamp in the middle of the bench.

This provision is overlooked, and frequently very handy.

My bench top is reclaimed from a welding shop. I just flipped it over, and ripped it to width.

Excellent pinsetter photo. It wasn't so long ago...my old man paid his way through college setting and running.

Lornie McCullough
03-01-2013, 2:48 PM
[QUOTE=Jim Matthews;2072364]I think the curved overhangs are downright clever.

Yes.... sometimes the negative space is just what you need.

Lornie

Bill Wyko
03-01-2013, 3:59 PM
I have to agree, that is a wonderful idea. Although the pin setter looks more like he's in a game of death match dodge ball. LOL

Here's my practice condor tail.

Bill Wyko
03-09-2013, 2:09 AM
Any more benches out there? How about some details of your vises?

Joe Leigh
03-09-2013, 8:24 AM
I took a different approach and went with the Bencrafted Shaker design

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q226/lj61673/DSCN2207_zpsa844ce25.jpg

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q226/lj61673/DSCN2206_zps2765646b.jpg

I used the Bencrafted tail vise and leg vise. They work great and are rock solid.

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q226/lj61673/DSCN2205_zps6f528ff3.jpg

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q226/lj61673/DSCN2210_zps5a5cdb60.jpg

I dressed up the dog strip with a narrow strip of Walnut for some contrast

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q226/lj61673/DSCN2209_zps32be60cd.jpg

The top is 2-1/2" hard Maple

Bill Wyko
03-10-2013, 3:49 AM
Absolutely beautiful. I really like the overall design, very well done my friend.

Greg McClurg
03-10-2013, 11:53 AM
Bill,

Here is my bench. I built this from a picture that I believe I saw in Fine Woodworking. The top is myrtle and the base is white oak.

Greg

Michael Dunn
03-10-2013, 3:19 PM
This was built as a modified version of TWW's assembly/storage table. I use mine to hold my CNC machine, drill press, and my Hi-Fi Vacuum Tube amp hat I built...

Michael Dunn
03-10-2013, 3:22 PM
This was built as a modified version of TWW's assembly/storage table. I use mine to hold my CNC machine, drill press, and my Hi-Fi Vacuum Tube amp hat I built...

More pics...

thomas prusak
03-10-2013, 11:30 PM
Maple and cherry left overs from a couple different jobs.

Tai Fu
03-11-2013, 5:23 AM
All I have is a bench with plywood top braced with 2x4's with legs made out of 2x4's as well. Cheaper than buying one but while it's a far cry from what you guys have (the face vise sucks, squeaks like crazy and doesn't really hold lumber that well) it does the job...

Bill Wyko
03-11-2013, 12:39 PM
I saw that one too. You've done a superb job. If I didn't need the storage under mine I'd have done that style as well. Just beautiful. That goes for all of you, excellent benches everyone.