PDA

View Full Version : CVSW Class by Matt Bickford on Moulding Planes last weekend

Edward Clarke
02-25-2013, 11:00 AM
Matt Bickford gave a class on hollowand round moulding planes last weekend at the Connecticut ValleySchool of Woodworking in Manchester, Connecticut. Classes were from9:30 AM to 5 PM with fifty minutes off for lunch on Saturday andSunday. The shop area was large, perhaps fifty feet wide andconsiderably longer with plenty of light. Each student had their ownworkbench with vise and benchdogs.

Number six hollows and rounds and a 7/8wooden rabbet plane for each student were provided by Matt
along with a simple sticking board. There were a smaller quantity of number ten hollows and rounds thatwere shared among students and a couple of number two hollows for abead on the final cherry moulding. The school had plane hammers (LeeValley brass with a wooden insert) available. Several wheel markinggauges were available for use but you were supposed to bring yourown. (My left index finger can testify that Lee Valley gauges areextremely sharp.) A small precision double square was quite usefuland a small bevel gauge was an absolute necessity ( I bought mine atthe attached Woodcraft store). A plastic circle guide from Staplesrounded out the tools. 0.3mm mechanical pencils work well in thisclass.

Work started out with fifteen shortpieces of 4/4 poplar with precut dadoes and progressed to a pair ofcherry boards for the final class project (one for practice, one forkeeps). There was a short hour long presentation on maintenance andsharpening. Matt likes oil stones rather than water stones becausethe softer water stones get chewed up too quickly. Think of a curvedgouge for you wood carvers out there.

I'm including a link to some quickphone/photo shots of the ends of the practice workpieces. Keep inmind that I never touched a moulding plane to wood before taking thisclass. I didn't start the final cherry moulding, just the practicepiece. I think a little more practice at home is in order before Iwaste that nice cherry.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/zytro3vjb1eqkxj/_zf9Y8BJBZ

All in all, I'm very happy that I took this class. The lack of router/shaper noise is a big plus for me as is the lack of fine dust in the air.

Jim Neeley
02-25-2013, 11:50 AM
"The lack of router/shaper noise is a big plus for me as is the lack of fine dust in the air."

Welcome to the slippery slope of hand tools! :) :)

bob blakeborough
02-25-2013, 12:01 PM
That is awesome! I would love to take a similar class...

Mike Cogswell
02-25-2013, 12:15 PM
I took Matt's class a year ago at Alcanthus Workshop in PA. He's an excellent teacher and he really did a great job of showing us how to lay out and execute virtually any moulding with a common set of moulding planes. I highly recommend his class to anyone interested in learning to make mouldings without router bits.

Edward Clarke
02-25-2013, 12:35 PM
Not only is he a great teacher, but he's honest too. He says you do not need a complete set of moulding planes. In fact, the only time he uses an 18 is to make other 18s for customers. Start with two pairs, #6 and #10 and only get what you need from there. At the end of your life you may end up with a half set, but probably not. You will need a rabbit plane, preferably a wooden one without a fence or depth stop. The only specialty planes he likes are one pair of snipes bills and a large pair and possibly small pair of side rounds. For cutting slots away from the edges you can use a plow plane - but he uses a table saw. Whatever works best for you... Don't buy it unless you're sure you need it.

Randy Karst
02-25-2013, 6:58 PM
Edward,

Thanks for sharing; like Bob B. above, I would love to take a similar class. Thanks too for the attached photo link... I'm a visual kind of guy. Gotta love it!

Jim Stewart
02-25-2013, 9:22 PM
I am slowly building up to make an attempt at these. I have viewed videos by Clark and Williams and by Tod Herrli. I also have Matts book and I hope he comes up with a video. All have been helpfull. I have purchased a 1/8 inch grinder wheel and have practiced on old flea market planes. I bought a vernier protractor on Ebay. Also some nice 1/8" Augur style Gimlet bits. Lie Nielsen is having a tool show near me in April. I will likely buy some floats and files. I have air dried some quarter-sawn Beech. It may be as cheap to take a course or by new ones from Matt by the time I am done. Oh, I also noticed that some of the old planes that I purchased had a convex grind. At first I thought how stupid, but then I realized that the convex surface made the blades easier to sharpen on stones. Man this woodworking is fun and an addiction. Thanks for those pictures as Randy said they are quite helpful.