PDA

View Full Version : Incra Jig Questions-Any Experts?

Chris Jackson
02-25-2013, 5:37 AM
Recently acquired a Router Table, with a Dewalt Router, a standard fence, and the Incra Jig shown in the photos. Got a great deal on CraigsList at $350 for the whole lot, whith a box full of 1/2" shank bits and Incra Jig parts to boot!

I have no experience with INCRA Jig equipment. I was able to locate a manual online for an "Incra Jig Pro", which seems to be the correct model of this equipment these were made up until a couple of years ago. The manual only seems to cover the large positioner device, with no detail on the fence, crosscut jig or this other chunk of metal that I have been as yet unable to identify. So, here is where I need some help:

In the second photo is a close up of a Incra Jig part I am unfamiliar with and there was no info on the Incra website that I could find. Anyone know what this is? What it does? Is there a manual for its use and installation?
Is there a better source for Older Incra Jig Manuals than the Incra Website?
The "Incra Jig Pro" manual that I downloaded covers some basic installation and operation however, does not really get into "methods of work", that is to say what types of jointery does the unit excel at, what different setups/configurations are common, etc... Does anyone know of a good book or articles on use of this make/model of jig?
I have never used one of these Incra Jigs, I've always just used a standard fence...which I still have...on an opinionated note, is this thing worth the hassle? I've seen that they sell for some good money, wondering if I should trade it toward something I need more and stick with a good old fence.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Chris

William C Rogers
02-25-2013, 7:30 AM
Chris

Not an expert, but I do have the incra ls system and the incra original pro. The long section is some type of auxiliary fence that I am not familiar with as I don't have that. The right angle piece is used for making dovetails. It should have wooden rails that slide along the table and will need the dovetail templates. I am not sure if this system has the fine adjustment, but don't think it does so most likely you will be limited to 1/32 movement. I think to use it for a router table fence you will need an auxiliary fence system (incra wonder fence) other wise you will be limited to the opening on the fixed fence which is primarly for dovetail bits used along with the right angle fence. I bought the incra ls25 fence system and love it. The only thing I would do different next time is buy the 17". I was hoping to do larger dovetail drawers using the incra and did a few, but it is much better suited for smaller boxes. I initially was going to install the original on the router table, but felt the advantages of the ls system was a much better choice. Eventually I plan to use the incra original pro on my bandsaw.

Brian Kincaid
02-25-2013, 10:23 AM
Chris,
It looks like a micro-adjuster for the fence meaning you set the 1/32" with the positioner then you fine-tune it using the block shown (towards cutter/away from cutter). I think the block is designed to go between the long fence and the positioner.

The LS units don't have this because it is built-in to the positioner (red dial close to where you attach the fence)

-Brian

Brian Kincaid
02-25-2013, 10:33 AM
As far as keep vs sell I really like my Incra fence on my router table.
98% of the time I am using it to set a roughing cut and final cut.
1. After changing the router bit I set the fence to it's full cut (bearing aligned to fence)
2. Slide a tape to '0' on the positioner
3. Back off for a roughing cut, maybe leave 1/16" for the finishing cut
4. When I finish the roughing cut I set the positioner back to '0' for finishing cut
The positioner keeps me from having to adjust the fence with straight edge more than once. If I have a lot of material to remove I just keep moving the positioner for each operation.

But that said you don't have the accessory I use for almost every operation. It is a split fence (wonderfence) so you can adjust the opening for the cutter.
The other accessory you have (the 90 degree thing) is a sliding fence for dovetails or box joints.

-Brian

Bill Wyko
02-25-2013, 10:48 AM
I have a total of 5 incra fences and a couple lifts. If you contact Perry at Incra, he's a great guy and I'm sure will get you on your way to a life long addiction to the Incra way of life. They also offer a project book you will find interesting. Once you get ready t do some double box joints or double double dovetails, get ahold of me, I have a few methods that will help in your efforts. Congratulations and good luck.
Here's a link to a bunch of videos on how to use your fence. http://www.incra.com/videos_demos.htm

Chris Jackson
02-25-2013, 4:03 PM
Great tips guys...thanks for all the feedback...and identifying that micro adjuster add on! Now I've just got to figure out how to use it...

I'll give a call over there to Incra and try to get some feedback. They must keep some doumentation on these older models of jigs, and tell me what is/is not compatible.

Thanks again,
Chris

Myk Rian
02-25-2013, 4:13 PM
I have the plastic version. It makes box joints so tight, I have to sand or file the tangs sometimes. I like it. Nice tool.

Rick Moyer
02-25-2013, 5:08 PM
I have a total of 5 incra fences and a couple lifts. If you contact Perry at Incra, he's a great guy and I'm sure will get you on your way to a life long addiction to the Incra way of life. They also offer a project book you will find interesting. Once you get ready t do some double box joints or double double dovetails, get ahold of me, I have a few methods that will help in your efforts. Congratulations and good luck.
Here's a link to a bunch of videos on how to use your fence. http://www.incra.com/videos_demos.htm

Nice to see you back posting again, Bill.

Bill Wyko
02-25-2013, 8:39 PM
Thanks Rick, been a rocky road.

One thing to watch out for is router bits that aren't as accurate as your incra. I had some Freud bits that were under sized. I made several wood hinges, all to find they didn't slide together. Kept thinking I was doing something wrong so I kept making more.:confused: