PDA

View Full Version : Best oil finish for walnut

Bart Sharp
05-05-2005, 4:07 PM
I am getting ready to start a project in walnut and would like to use an oil finish. I want something with little to no film build, because I will be going back in a few years and adding some more carvings. Does anyone have any favorite recipes for walnut?

To look at the top four threads in here, you'd think I'm the only one with finish questions! :)

Jim Becker
05-05-2005, 4:11 PM
I just use BLO or BLO/wax...if this is going to be the only finish, I tend to use Tried and True products just because I like them, not because they are necessarily better, per se. If I were topcoating with shellac and/or another film finish, I use the cheap BLO from the 'borg.

Mark Singer
05-05-2005, 4:11 PM
I like Dalys Ben Matte on Walnut....from Seattle

Bart Sharp
05-05-2005, 6:48 PM
I just use BLO or BLO/wax...if this is going to be the only finish, I tend to use Tried and True products just because I like them, not because they are necessarily better, per se. If I were topcoating with shellac and/or another film finish, I use the cheap BLO from the 'borg.

Stuff I can get local (and cheap) is good. Do you (or anyone) have any pictures of walnut with BLO?

Ken Salisbury
05-06-2005, 8:03 AM
I have been using Minwax Tung Oil Finish since Noah unloaded his boat. It is readily available at the borgs. Wouldn't consider any other oil finish.

Jim Becker
05-06-2005, 8:21 AM
I have been using Minwax Tung Oil Finish since Noah unloaded his boat. It is readily available at the borgs. Wouldn't consider any other oil finish.

It's just a wiping varnish-oil, Ken, virtually identical to their other wipe-on products. And there is...zero...tung oil in it.

Bill Arnold
05-07-2005, 3:39 PM
Bart,

I use a lot of walnut in my projects -- mainly as table bases and trim. My usual finish schedule is an initial coat of 1/1 BLO/Naptha to pop the grain. Then I follow with a couple of coats of 1/1/1 BLO/Naptha/Poly wiped on. This provides a good seal without a heavy 'finished' look.

Regards,

Bill Arnold
05-07-2005, 3:43 PM
It's just a wiping varnish-oil, Ken, virtually identical to their other wipe-on products. And there is...zero...tung oil in it.
What? No honesty in advertising??? :rolleyes:

A few years ago, I picked up a 1 quart can of Minwax Antique Oil Finish -- the label sounded good. Subsequently, I learned it's a mix of 1/1/1 BLO/MS/Poly with a dash of brownish dye. I now make my own and get about a gallon for the cost of that quart of MAOF.

Regards,

Ken Salisbury
05-07-2005, 3:53 PM

I know that Jim - just quoting what it is called. Anyone could mix their own - but why bother. :) Its kinda like Margarita mix - I buy it "ready made". :D