PDA

View Full Version : Planer Size Advice?

Matt Meiser
05-05-2005, 3:44 PM
I'm starting to look at upgrading my planer from at Delta lunchbox planer to something a little more substantial. I was thinking I would go with a 15" model, but looking around on ebay and at some classified listings, there seem to be some pretty good deals on 12-13" stationary planers from the likes of Delta, Parks, and Powermatic. I'm wondering how important the overall size of the planer is versus just going to a more professional unit. I've read a few threads that indicated that there isn't a lot of need for a planer wider than your jointer, so now that I have an 8", that would mean an 8" planer would be fine.

I'm just looking for some advice from those who've been there.

Mark Singer
05-05-2005, 3:53 PM
Matt,

A wider planer is always nice. If you glue up board wider than your jointer..you can plane them smooth and clean up the glue line and even the board. I would think a good value is around 15" and then the prices start to climb a bit...

Matt Meiser
05-05-2005, 3:55 PM
A wider planer is always nice. If you glue up board wider than your jointer..you can plane them smooth and clean up the glue line and even the board. I would think a good value is around 15" and then the prices start to climb a bit...

Thanks Mark. Seeing your planer run last night has got me thinking its definitely time for a change.

Jim Becker
05-05-2005, 3:57 PM
There is no harm in having a wider planer than your jointer although it would be even nicer if your jointer was wider, too...hee hee.:p But seriously, an older Parks in good condition is likely to be a very good machine from what I've heard along the way. I don't know much about the Delta/PM type 12-13" units other than there were/are some 12" units that are considered planer/molders. Those are lighter in weight than the typical 15" machines by far based on what I've seen in stores.

mike malone
05-05-2005, 4:20 PM
I'm starting to look at upgrading my planer from at Delta lunchbox planer to something a little more substantial. I was thinking I would go with a 15" model, but looking around on ebay and at some classified .

hi matt
I make a lot of raised panel doors (using 5/8" panels) so....
if you use raised panels, the 12" planer limits you to a door width of roughly (18"-19") 12" + 7" ish for both the stiles. A larger planer will of course allow you to make doors with larger single panels. I used a Delta and a PM100 for quite a while, but always wanted a larger planer. A few months ago I spotted a Delta RC51 (20" planer) for sale locally, cleaned it up and am real happy with it.
Most projects are built with boards 8 or less in width
If you are just doing single boards, and not making wide kitchen cuttingboards, I can't really see any reason for anything larger than a good stationary 12" planer. The lunchbox planers aren't really a pleasure to use, especially at the decibel level.
good luck

Steve Cox
05-05-2005, 4:41 PM
I have a Rockwell/Invicta 13" planer from the mid 70s (I think). It is a 13" version of the Delta 15" that is made today. It was made in Brazil by Invicta and sold here under the Rockwell name. The width has been mostly fine for me. Of course a 20" would be nicer but so would a 12" jointer and a host of other things:) . The point is that this machine has a 2hp induction motor and is truly an industrial machine in all aspects especially compared to the lunchbox types. If you can find one of a similar type I would jump on it.